main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN Whoa: Honda's New Commercial

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by JediToren, Jun 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    Honda Commercial
    This is a new 2 minute commercial by honda entitled Cog. There is no trick photography involved, and no CGI. Everything you see is real. It took 606 takes for it to finally get right all the way through.

Here is info on how it was made:
    About Cog

2. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    I can't beleive they didn't scrap the whole concept after about a dozen takes and come up with a whole new commercial.

3. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    Only a commercial this difficult to produce would garner as much publicity as it has.

It appears, however, that there is 1 second of CGI in it. The commercial was shot in two halves, which were joined together when the muffler is rolling. Still a very impressive commercial.

Unforunately, it will not be aired in the U.S. because it doesn't list any features of the car. It's only in Europe.

Besides, they kind of lost that option after they took apart one of six prototypes of the new Honda accord for the commercial.

4. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    With that much trouble,..they shoulda done the whole thing CG.

5. JediToren

Mar 20, 2000
    I don't think it would have been as impressive if it had been all CGI. Cheaper certainly, but all the publiciy this spot has recieved has been due to the fact that it wasn't CGI, it was real. If they had simply animated this in the computer then it wouldn't have been that impressive.

Plus who knows if it would have looked so real, CGI is great but it still has a ways to go.

6. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    Kinda reminds me of the "Rube Goldberg" competition that Purdue's engineers always entered.

7. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    i dont see where 2 halves were added together.
    what looks odd to me is when the tires and rims roll "uphill" onto that ramp.
    then the middle tire bumps ,rolls backwards and then rolls back uphill.to me that looked weird.

edit:
    just watched a few more times.
    im no longer convinced its not alot of cgi.
    heres what else to look at,
    on a 12volt car system when you close a circuit by touching the wires together you will not get a spark.12volt batteries dont have enough juice to spark normally unless you hook it up wrong!watch when the fan is getting started,the spark wouldnt occur because the connection is correct,this is proven when the metal pc falls goes through the window and down the handles.it falls directly onto a battery and closes the connection,but no spark!

those wipers are the new water sensitive types.just now being seen on vehicles.the window gets wet and the wipers start by themselves.theoretically they go off once the water is wiped off.if the blades are on the ground how did the windows get wiped off and therefore shutting off the wipers.the wipers go off the second it hits.

the wiper blade on the cord threw me too.when the pc flies up and hits the wiper blade(not to mention both wipers are on the ground)it spins around and shoots forward ion the line.what causes it to shoot forward.the hit could cause it to spin the blade but not shhot it off down the line.

also, ive installed car stereos for a long time(hence the 12volt knowledge)watch when the dash comes on and the cd player starts to play.the 3rd row of speakers begin to hop up and down.the speakers are mounted to those poles by the magnets.the magnets are solidly mounted to the frame of the speaker.the cone is the part that moves up and down.this would not be visible from a side view.if those speakers were actually made to hop up and down like that they wouldnt be used in an expensive vehicle because they would shake the car apart.also the amount of bass it would take to shake a coil spring off glass would be considerable.normally it would take a handfull of subwoofers booming to get the glass to even move a little.
    not to mention that when a 12volt stereo loses its power it loses all of its memory.when the dash got power the stereo would have had to be reprogrammed before it was used.much less it come on by itself and play a track.

sorry ,as awesome as it is i just cant see how that all wasnt done by some cgi.

8. Kir Kanos

Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 1999
    I tried to download it at home & at work & was unable to view it both times. What program did you watch this in as my Quicktime application won't open it.

9. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    try watching it from this link.

http://www.rock103.com/crew/vids/

10. Kir Kanos

Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 1999
    HA! That's funny that they mention Rube Goldberg. They have that contest every year at Purdue University where Dylan & I went to college. They were in fact on Letterman on May 7th! Here is the link to the Rube Goldberg Page at Purdue if you want to check it out.

That's interesting that you pointed me to that page Skip, as a guy I work with is from Memphis and calls me over to watch these on his computer all the time. However, I haven't seen this one. BTW, have you seen this Mastercard commercial spoof? I about fell over laughing. Master Card Spoof . Its an indecent proposal (not for the itty bitty tykes who don't know what its talking about ;) ), but its pretty dog-gone funny for the rest of us. [face_laugh] What would have even been funnier is instead of the sister answering the door, it was a Monica Lewinsky look alike & the daughter looke like Chelsey Clinton. Now that would have been daring! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.