main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Whoa.... you guys were right.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Nitro29, Feb 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nitro29

Nitro29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2001
    I remember reading threads about how there is bad blood between the EU forums and the movie forums, but I didn't think it was that bad. So I took a little trip over there to read some of the posts, and all I got to say is....DAMN! It is bad.
    Look at these Emmy award winners:
    I took these ones from a discussion about the AOTC novel:
    If I see the word "Thrawn" in there, I'm takin that SOB to a book burnin' ceremony
    this one disturbed me...
    If I read the word "XIZOR", then I will personally head down to the closest Army surplus store, plunk down the good cash to purchase a loaded flamethrower, pack that thing in my trunk, and head to every damn bookstore until I run out of gas, holding a little "hell fire and brimstone" preachin meeting at the "New Release" rack.
    Finally, with no gas in the tank, I will sit down in my car, cry for a few minutes, then unleash that flamethrower on the inside, sending it, me, and my Star Wars fandom to utter Hell.

This one, I don't know how I found it. It was 2 years old, but it's the ultimate diss to the EU(although it kind of is funny)....
    And now an Episode II scene for all the people who love the EU (Exploited Universe):
    Obi-wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker stand back-to-back fending off an army of stormtroopers, Mandalorians, and bounty hunters.
    A ship drops out of the sky and lands on the battlefield, squashing the bad guys. Out step Grand Admiral Thrawn, Jorus C'boath, Prince Xizor, Dash Rendar, Garm Bel Iblis, Kyle Katarn, Mara Jade, a dozen cloned Emperors, a gaggle of Solo-babies, hundreds of Noghri, and a ysalamiri in a pear tree.
    Obi-wan: Who are you people?
    Thrawn: Well...that's a very long, boring, convoluted......
    Xizor: ...and crappy, don't forget crappy!
    Thrawn: ...yes, and crappy, story.
    Anakin: Why are you here?
    Thrawn: Because fanboys wanna see us. Aren't we cool?
    Obi-wan: Umm.......no.
    Xizor: Not even a little bit?
    Obi-wan: Not even a little bit.
    Thrawn: But, but, but........ZAHN RULES!!!! Besides, we brought you a delivery: some spaarti cylinders.
    Anakin: Some what?
    Thrawn: You know, spaarti cylinders. They're used to make clones.
    Anakin: No they're not.
    Jorus C'Boath: But you can imagine what it would be like if they were. Right?
    Anakin: No. This is the Clone Wars. Don't you think we'd know about these things?
    Thrawn: The CLONE WARS!!!!! But, that's supposed to happen when you're four years old. You don't look four to me.
    Anakin: Good point. Why don't you guys go back to Bpfassh, Myrkyr, Bakura, Shaba-daba-doobie-doobie-doo, or whatever crappy planet you come from?
    Thrawn: How dare you! Feel the wrath of my ysalamiri! It blocks out Force powers, you know.
    Anakin: I feel fine. How 'bout you Obi-wan?
    Obi-wan: I feel fine, too. Whoever told you guys that a lizard could block out the Force?
    Thrawn: Well....
    Mara Jade: Don't you at least like our ship? It's a Dreadnaught, you know.
    Obi-wan: Looks like a real POS to me. You sure that's a real starship?
    Thrawn: Not really, no. But I'm told they used to be all the rage in the galaxy during the Clone Wars.
    Obi-wan: Do you see any 'Dreadnaughts' around here?
    Thrawn: No....Come to think of it, I don't see any Z-95 Headhunters either.
    Anakin: Thank the Force I don't have to pilot something called a 'Z-95 Headhunter'.
    Xizor: Come on, give us a chance. Trust me, it all 'fits together' somehow. You just have to use a little 'imagination'.
    Obi-wan: I sense a disturbance in the Force.
    Anakin: I have a bad feeling about this.

I'm afraid to go there now :(

2. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

Forgive them for they no not what they do! ;)

3. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I love the EU...but I really don't want to see EU characters in the films either...it was pretty cool to see these characters appear outright in the books...to use them as cameo filler hurts the films and their characters.

4. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    Poor, poor, misguided people.

5. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    And you haven't even seen their private message board...

6. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    "Thrawn: Because fanboys wanna see us. Aren't we cool?
    Thrawn: But, but, but........ZAHN RULES!!!! Besides, we brought you a delivery: some spaarti cylinders.
    Anakin: Some what?
    Thrawn: You know, spaarti cylinders. They're used to make clones.
    Anakin: No they're not.
    Jorus C'Boath: But you can imagine what it would be like if they were. Right?
    Anakin: No. This is the Clone Wars. Don't you think we'd know about these things?
    Thrawn: The CLONE WARS!!!!! But, that's supposed to happen when you're four years old. You don't look four to me.
    Anakin: Good point. Why don't you guys go back to Bpfassh, Myrkyr, Bakura, Shaba-daba-doobie-doobie-doo, or whatever crappy planet you come from?
    Thrawn: How dare you! Feel the wrath of my ysalamiri! It blocks out Force powers, you know.
    Anakin: I feel fine. How 'bout you Obi-wan?
    Obi-wan: I feel fine, too. Whoever told you guys that a lizard could block out the Force?
    Thrawn: Well....
    Mara Jade: Don't you at least like our ship? It's a Dreadnaught, you know.
    Obi-wan: Looks like a real POS to me. You sure that's a real starship?
    Thrawn: Not really, no. But I'm told they used to be all the rage in the galaxy during the Clone Wars.
    Obi-wan: Do you see any 'Dreadnaughts' around here?
    Thrawn: No....Come to think of it, I don't see any Z-95 Headhunters either.
    Anakin: Thank the Force I don't have to pilot something called a 'Z-95 Headhunter'.
    Xizor: Come on, give us a chance. Trust me, it all 'fits together' somehow. You just have to use a little 'imagination'.
    Obi-wan: I sense a disturbance in the Force.
    Anakin: I have a bad feeling about this.
    I'm afraid to go there now "

Uhm. K. Can someone tell me why they hate the name Z 95 Headhunter? [face_plain]

Some peope have fallen for all hub bub over Lucas's saga. They are what I call "Star Wars intellectuals". They believe by recognizing Star Wars for the great genius masterpiece it is that they are somehow true intellectuals. Of course they can point out how intelligent they are by highlighting the flaws of the Expanded Universe for everyone.

Why was that thread allowed to remain open for so long btw? True it was funny at one time but it's been a wedge between EUer/purist relations for a very long time imo. It's basically a sign that says "EU not welcomed here!". Now with it making fun of some EUers in sly wayssuch as this:

"Thrawn: Because fanboys wanna see us. Aren't we cool?
    Thrawn: But, but, but........ZAHN RULES!!!! "

It's gotten out of hand. I congratulate the admins for being pansies and not closing it out of fear of creating a bunch of trolls .

*cough*

Sometimes we must make harsh decisions. The trolling wouldn't have lasted that long. It should have been closed in the begining when there was only a few members of that group.

Let's just widen the rift between fans. I think we should be able to keep a similar off topic thread. ;)

7. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    That long excerpt was from a humor thread of 1000+ posts, part of an ongoing story that probably should've been in fanfic.

8. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Yeah. I posted way back when it was still funny.

9. Nitro29

Nov 3, 2001
    Hey MT, you want to know what the kicker is to what you said about the admins? I found that passage from a link an admin posted for new commers to the forums. Something about if they wanted to read something funny. But I agree, this has gotten outta hand.

10. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Which admin?

11. Tsavong_Lah

Tsavong_Lah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    The Lit forum is better behaved IMO.

Only by much..................(joke)

Really though, I haven't seen any of that nonsense here.

12. Nitro29

Nov 3, 2001
    Wait, let me go check, MT.

13. Crow_T_Fett

Crow_T_Fett Jedi Master star 1

Feb 6, 2002
    Much better group of people here. We can disagree with each other and still do it in a friendly way, without any name calling.

14. Nitro29

Nov 3, 2001
    Ha! I found it. The admin's name is Silmarillion. Check the post here:
    Click Here
    (If the link doesn't work, just go to the Attack of the Clones spoiler forum. It should still be on the first page)

When you get there, scroll to the bottom of the first post and you'll find the link.

15. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Yea, that's because, for the most part, we're mature enough to deal with disagreements without trying to kill the other side. [face_plain]

16. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    I consider myself an EU fan as well as an OT fan. Yet, this whole thread on EU-pisode II was just plain scarry. Why do they hate the EU so bad over there that they result to immature name-calling? I personally will never go over there again until things change because I don't want to be made fun of just because I like the EU.

17. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
  18. THE_Exar_Kun

THE_Exar_Kun Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2002
    This is the first I've read of this.I think its sad that people try to deny the existence of the EU.It's too bad for them.It exists and they can't move it.I hope they didn't play any games aside from the ones that are strictly OT.I hope they turned Rogue Squadron off before the battle of Calamari started.
    But that post was damn funny though.

19. Nitro29

Nov 3, 2001
    Maybe...some of them can't read....(starting to run now) :D

20. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    The first page of this thread was funny - as far as I remember. But it quickly became... well, ya know the word (use your '''''imagination''''').

Oh, and MT : "I think we should be able to keep a similar off topic thread."

Hum... That'd imply starting to bash the movies... Would you be able to ?

21. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    It?s funny?I first started posting here (so many years ago ;)) and I spent all my time in the Classic Trilogy board. Then, as I started exploring more, I got so into the Lit forum, and I made a lot of friends in here (many of whom have moved on, sadly) I stopped posting in the other threads.

A few months ago I ventured into the Prequel Spoilers forum (the most vicious of the forums I would surmise) and I almost literally got ripped a new one for mentioning an EU character in a thread.

It?s not fun for me to go to another forum anymore (aside from EU Community sometimes and the Senate Floor when I feel like getting stressed ;)) Outside of this area, the posters seem cruel and completely unwilling to listen to anyone else. And that?s not necessarily only regarding EU stuff, either.

Anyway, that?s my two cents.

22. DEWORE-DEWKNOT

DEWORE-DEWKNOT Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2002
    Notro29

Those guys over there whould slap their sisters for bringing up UE. They are ouik to tell that "this thread belongs in the blah blah blah thread."

I posted a thread that said that I think the movies would be better if the were R rated. I really think that. All they could say was that I was a pervert, wanted to see natalie naked....blood and guts....swearing ..on and on and on. Not one of them that it might have been nice to se a more mature, longer, and more serious movie.(Read no JAr JAr or frigging Ewoks)

I once told them that I thought that all books are better than movies. A general truth. That books by nature can go deeper than any movie. I will spare you there insults.

oh well, let them stay in there little world, we have the EU and i'll bet we are happier and better off for it.

23. SithSpit777

SithSpit777 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 3, 2001
    Ok, being fairly new to posting here on a regular basis, I want to approach this as delicately and politely as possible, which is usually the exact opposite of how I do things :( . But I am just telling the truth, and not saying this to ruffle feathers, piss people off, rile people up, etc. This is just my honest assessment. Ok, now that I am done with the disclaimer, here it goes:

"Outside of this area, the posters seem cruel and completely unwilling to listen to anyone else."

I feel the exact same way about this forum, and based on what I have read over the threads, I am not the only one. Anyone who is not a completist gets a very unwelcome reception from what I have seen. If it was just me, I would understand, as I can be pretty abraisive at times, and my quirky, sarcastic sense of humor seems to be misplaced here. But others have felt the same way. If you don't believe me, just check out the "Did we lose one of our Admins?" post for the most concentrated group feeling this way. The rest are scattered here and there.

I guess my only point is to not look down on the other forums and put yourselves over, when I have seen the same stuff going on here that you accuse other boards of. Just don't speak ill of anyone. I will admit I have been guilty of this the past few days (and even in an earlier post today), mostly from frustration, but it still doesn't make me right. So consider this a 2 part statement,

1) To quote a cliche, "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." Put the effort that is usually directed into putting people down who disagree with you (even if it is done in an in-between-the-lines manner) into being more tolerant of different ideas, being more welcoming of people regardless of what they believe in, and lightening up a little. Trust me, the forum will be better for it, and then you can talk. *note, when I say you, I am refering to the collective forum, not one person in particular).

2) My personal apology for not doing any of the above, and my promise to work on it, and attempting to adhere to the challenge I have just laid down for this forum. The challenge isn't a mean-spirited one, its one with intent and hopes to make this forum a more welcoming place, regardless of what you believe in.

Anyway, just wanted to point this out. There is no greater enemy than self-delusion.

I just want to see this place be a little nicer to peeps with varying views on things.

24. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Iv'e been registered for 4 days now. I read forums for about 2 months prior to signing up . Anyway day 1 said something about Boba Fett not being dead and BAM! Point is in 4 days it is safe to say that I have found my choice EU Kicks a##. They'll just miss out on the larger world of Star Wars!

25. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    SithSpit,

I can understnd where you are coming from. However, there is a very big difference betwen someone who enjoys the books (and who posts regularly in the Lit Forum) who posts in the Movie forums and someone who dislikes the books coming here to post.

This forum is meant to discuss the Expanded Universe as a whole, with a specific emphasis on the books and comics. It is expected that those who are going to comment here are coming here because they enjoy the books and want to discuss them. In the same way, the movie forums are designed to allow those who enjoy the movies to discuss them there.

How do you think the people in the movie forums would react if a group of people consistently came into the forums to say "I hate SW!", "SW sucks!" and "You guys have no life!"? Just because you do not enjoy something doesn't mean that you should go looking for a fight (which is what happens most, bit not all, of the time with people who have come here from the Movie forums).

If you don't enjoy reading the books, fine. That is your choice and your opinion. But that does not give you the right to make fun of someone else for enjoying them. You can see a comparison here between those who do not enjoy the comics (of whom I am a part) and those who do. It is possible for both groups to peacefully coexist in the same forum. (Well, semi-peacefully. There is the occasional skirmish.) There is no reason why that can't happen in the Movie forums as well.

Kimball Kinnison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.