main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Whole - Anakin and Padme vignette, end of AotC, angst, romance. Author replies added 12-03.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Elana, Nov 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elana

Elana Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    Title: Whole
    Author: Elana
    Timeframe: End of AotC
    Characters: Anakin, Padme
    Genre: Angst, romance
    Summary: Anakin and Padme cope with the reality of Anakin's new artificial arm.

Note: I referred to this scene briefly in my long story "From My Point of View," and liked the idea so much I decided to write it out in full. But this vignette stands completely on its own; you don't have to have read FMPOV to understand this.

Whole

Padmé bent over the desk in her private quarters, sorting through stacks of flimsiplast. In just the few weeks she?d been back on Coruscant since the battle at Geonosis, a thousand urgent matters seemed to have arisen that demanded her personal attention, and she must bring some order to them all before she departed again for Naboo. She had just signed one sheet, folded it, and tucked it into an envelope, when the door chimes sounded.

She muttered in annoyance as she rose. Stretching her aching shoulders, she moved to the door and disabled the security, then swung it open. At the sight of the young man who waited there her face lit up, and she stepped forward to meet him as he swept her into a one-armed embrace.

His kiss sent her heart racing. Much too soon, she broke it off, and looked anxiously down the corridor. Relieved to see it empty, she stepped back and drew him inside with her.

?Anakin, you?re out of the med center!? She had visited him there several times since their return from Geonosis, but had not dared to go too often. She shut the door behind him and reactivated the security system. ?Come in, sit down. How are you feeling??

?Fine, I?m fine,? he said, laughing at her worried expression. ?The healers gave me a clean bill of health. I have to report to the Jedi Temple soon, but I had to come by first and show you this.?

He had kept his right arm tucked carefully behind his back, out of her sight. Now, with a flourish that could not quite disguise his shyness, he swept it out and offered it for her inspection.

The last time she had seen him, more than a week ago, his arm had ended just above where his elbow should have been, in a heavily bandaged stump. Now a shining construction of metal bones and wire tendons completed it, five articulated fingers opening and closing as he turned it under her gaze, looking anxiously into her face to gauge her reaction.

She kept her head bowed, studying it. How could she let him see that her first, instinctive response was one of aversion, even revulsion? Her heart ached that his strong, graceful, sensitive hand was gone, replaced by this thing that looked far more like it belonged on C-3PO than attached to her beloved Anakin.

She knew that this feeling would pass. It was a part of him now, and for the sake of their love for each other, she must learn to accept it. It would not even be difficult. Did she not have extensive training and experience in learning to accept the strange, the foreign, the alien? It was one of her greatest gifts. She knew what she had to do. She had been educated from a very young age that familiarity cast out fear, that knowledge defeated prejudice. She must learn this new part of Anakin, as she was learning every other part of him, until in her mind and heart he was whole.

It was not in Padmé?s nature to put off a difficult or unpleasant task, and Anakin was still looking at her. So she reached out and tentatively took his prosthetic hand in hers. She cradled it in one hand and stroked it delicately with the fingertips of the other. Curiosity flared in her. She traced the wired connections, puzzling out how it was constructed, wondering how it functioned.

?It?s top-of-the-line technology,? Anakin boasted. ?It?s got all the latest features.? Enthusiasm grew in his voice. ?They attached it last week, and I?ve been in training ever since to learn to use it. Look.? He rotated the wrist and took her hand in it, the metal fingers closing with just the right firmness as he solemnly shook her hand. Then he released her and waved it in front of her,

2. theman54

theman54 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 26, 2005
    it's great that you wrote this, the subject of anakin's prosthetic arm has never really been touched on that much before

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    You already know how much I love this! [face_love] Beautifully done! Anakin's conflicting emotions were so well portrayed here! :D =D=

4. VA_Parky

VA_Parky Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2005
    Elana, I loved this! It was beautiful! [face_love]

And the weight of responsibility on her shoulders at the end? A very nice place to leave it - a bit of foreshadowing for the times ahead.

Again, great work!!!

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    That was just delightful. It really gives great insight how Palps could use the loss of his limb to further the killing of Dooku.

Well done!

6. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    that was beautiful. i love stories dealing with the loss of his arm.

7. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Very sweet. Of course he'd have some adjustments to make. Its Anakin! :p

=D=

8. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Wonderful!!

I love how Anakin broke down in Padme's arms...

you're whole in my heart

Great line

Bravo!!

=D= =D= =D= =D=

9. pink_saber_girl

pink_saber_girl Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 9, 2005
    Great job! I adore this! :)

10. widow_skywalker

widow_skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2005
    Very sweet. The grief over the loss of the limb, except only briefly, was not really touched on in a lot of the EU fiction. This was done tastfully, and I wouldn't classify this as mush.

11. Darth-Buddy

Darth-Buddy Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 18, 2005
    =D= I loved it. Anakin is just so complex. I love the way you wrote him and Padme. Thanks.

12. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002

Tears actually stang my eyes when Anakin broke down. What a wonderfully written story. :)

13. Elana

Elana Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    theman54 - I find the subject of amputation strangely fascinating. In another fandom I wrote an AU where a character who dies in canon instead survives but loses a leg, and I did some research for that by reading on boards for amputees. Very interesting. And then I started writing Anakin... No, I promise, this is not an obsession or anything. Really.:eek:

VaderLVR64 - Thank you so much, Master! The more complex the emotions the more fun they are to write.

VA_Parky - When it comes to Anakin and Padmé, a little sinister foreshadowing is never out of place.

Healer_Leona - I wonder exactly how much Palps planned out ahead, and how much was just skillful improvisation as the situation developed.

darksideyesplease
    - Do you know any other good ones to recommend? I'd be interested.

FelsGoddess
    - Anyone would have adjustments to make. It's just with Anakin all the emotions are going to be twice as intense as with anyone else.

KELIA - That was the first image that inspired this story, when I was thinking what it would mean to him to lose that arm again, to Luke.

pink_saber_girl - Thank you!

widow_skywalker - I guess I assume mush = romance.

Darth-Buddy - He is complex; that's why I like him so much. I think I'm spoiled now for writing any character less complicated.

leia_naberrie - I think that's the ultimate compliment, when something I write makes someone cry. Thank you!

14. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    That is probably one of the best characterizations of Ani/Padme around. Beautifully done!
    The real strength of this piece lies in your characterization of Anakin. You've got all of his pride, quirkiness and insecurities wrapped up fantastically.

And at the end poor Padme is left on the couch wondering, "what the hell have I gotten myself into?"

=D=

And it would have felt? fake, somehow. Like I was lying about what I am, now...
    What a keen observation. I really like how you expounded upon this idea. That was awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.