Oregon Whole bunch of people are gonna be parents!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by brook_33, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brook_33 Jedi Master

star 4
    Just found out a week ago. He/she's gonna be due sometime in August.
  2. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow... well, if you want that, congrats for you ;)
  3. crashdown Force Ghost

star 4
    I wish you the best on your new journey. Life can take you in interesting directions. Sometimes you just have to hold on and see where you go.
  4. brook_33 Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for the vote of confidence ;)
  5. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    haha, I'm sure you will be a cool dad. Plus you can indoctrinate a new Star Wars fan and I'm all for that. ;)
  6. brook_33 Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh yeah, I already told the mother that I'm gonna be putting put headphones to her belly and play all the Star Wars movies over and over.
  7. jawafett Oregon Fanforce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 3
    Congrats Brook!:cool: Cheers to the future SW Fanboy or Fangirl, lol. Good Luck and MTFBWY =D=
    [face_coffee] is your friend, make sure when the baby is sleeping I-) , you are too I-), otherwise things get 8-}. Patience. [face_idea] Read the baby books [face_idea] Family is a blessing.

-Eric
  8. AramysStrael Force Ghost

star 4
    Dude, Brook, congrats! I am happy for you. I am sure you will be a great dad, buddy! Your Oregon FanForce friends are behind you!

- Bill
  9. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    Sweet, that's awesome! Im going to be a mommy! So we hve something in common! ;)
    My baby is due September 2ndish and Derek aka _Vengeance_ is going to be the daddy! The fanforce family is all growing!
  10. jawafett Oregon Fanforce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 3
    Congrats Larena & _Vengeance_! Are they Jedi Twins??[face_thinking]:cool: Any Star Wars names on anyone's list like my son Lucas???

-Eric
  11. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    Haha, unfortunately ultrasound says no twins! Oh well. I'd rather give my time to just one for now and add another later.
    No starwars names...I know, terrible me. [face_talk_hand]:p
    But don't worry, it's still nerd worthy. For a girl we have Ferynne Elise and for a boy we have Daydelus! [face_mischief]
  12. brook_33 Jedi Master

star 4
    Nice names. A bit out there for me, but hey I was pushing for Anakin for a little while. I know someone who's a big PT fan and named her son Hayden.
  13. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow, you didn't waste any time! Aren't you really young? lol
  14. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    Correction: it's spelled Daedelus

Anywho. Well according to changing society and the ever growing status quo for 20(possibly 21 at the birth) and 22 year olds, yes it is quite young. And even I realise I am still quite young.
    However, among the many reasons I could delve into(and simply choose not to), lets just say that for a couple who's motives are of a desire to expirience the joy of raising and getting to know such a wonderful loveable human being through all stages of his/her life... we will also not be too old to spend our remaining years as just the two of us again with much adventure left in our souls once this mystery child flies the coup. Once this baby hits 20, we will be 40. Not 50. Not 60. 40, with pleanty of life still left in us! :p
    So if we are going to have kids(which we knew we would) we decided not to retire with them, rather leave room for another stage of life!

Of course that isn't "the" reason to have kids at 20. But those are the reasons I felt like sharing!
  15. brook_33 Jedi Master

star 4
    I never thought of that. Hmm, guess that will apply to me too since I'll be 21 when he/she is born. It's probably gonna be a girl cuz that's the tradition of the mother's side of the family (pretty much no baby boys at all). It'll be great either way.

I'm still totally shocked by these two occurences side by side. Are you trying to copy me Larena?
  16. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    Psh, no. We tied the knot a year and a half ago and then he joined the Army. So we figured the timing was good because you get to have a baby for $40 in the Army...haha!
  17. crashdown Force Ghost

star 4
    In genetics, the sex of the child is determined by the man. So Brook, it's your seed that will determine if it's a boy or girl.
  18. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    That is true, and I can see how that would be a plus, because you would still be fairly young when the little bugger moves out, lol, but I can't see the wisdom in 20-year-olds and 21-year-olds, who I think are basically babies themselves, having babies. I mean, I was somewhat mature at 20 or 21, but really nothing compared to what I am today even, and today I still wouldn't want that responsibility, well, nor would I ever actually, but that's besides the point. I know a lot of people in that age range, one of my friends is only 19, and I just don't really think they have the ability to make decisions like that. Besides, having an established career path before 25, good luck with that. Maybe if you went right into the police force at 22, but otherwise it's unlikely. Most people I know from high school or before have just graduated from grad. school, are still in grad. school, like law school, med school, etc. I think about 3-4 people from my class of 242 have kids now, at most.

But, if you really know that's what you want to do, and you have the means to support that, well, you gotta do what you gotta do. I certainly wish you the best of luck because that is a tough journey and you have to be well prepared for its challenges.
  19. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    And you have the right to say that Bowen, because that is pretty much the ideal existing opinion for people of all ages. Even I tend to share that opinion. I wont try to defend myself there about only being 21 years old because that's a big waste of time. However, if I can only add for myself the fact that I still believe everyone has something different to offer depending on their individual level of maturity. Most of my life I have scoffed at the level of maturity my peers posessed(NONE if any). And I know it wont do me any good to say that I have always held a more mature understanding and behavior than most my age. But I can tell you from day 1 I was disgusted at what the people my age had to offer. I'm right there with y'all, shakin my head at the stupidity and lack of brain cells mine and continueing generations have. No, I wont even begin to argue how "I'm so ready for this responsibility". Fact is, I wont ever be ready. But I'm as ready as I'll ever be. ;) :p

I guess if I can hope to give any of you older folks some sort of peace, just know this: My children will not be stupid, spoiled, and obsessed with understimulating electronic gadgets. They will be smart, intelligent, well educated(better than I am, of course), and they will sincerely hold a love and respect for humanity. Don't you worry. My child will NOT...be..."THOSE CHILDREN". [face_shame_on_you] And I will not be one of "those mothers". I'm not perfect. But I do have a plan for sucess! [face_peace]
  20. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    Haha, ok well don't turn into an overprotective mom, because everyone loves video games. It's not fair to deprive kids of video games, nor is it smart, based on all kinds of research indicating they improve reaction speed, reflexes, hand-eye coordination, and stimulate intelligence and creativity. It's one thing not to want kids to play 4 hours of video games every day, but anything in moderation is reasonable. ;)

The worst mistake parents can make is limiting what their kids do to a narrow band of things, so that they have really no idea how the real world works and then crave it all when they get old enough to do other things.
  21. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    Naw, I definitely plan to expose them to the real world. I will just explain to them that they should play the video games that DO improve reaction time and other such things. Not the video games that don't. :p
  22. crashdown Force Ghost

star 4
    And just what do you know about kids or parenting, Bowen? On one hand you say that you want nothing to do with kids, and on the other hand you act like you know everything about how to raise them. And don't respond by saying that you were once a kid yourself, or that you commonly took care of your kid brother, because that's just a load of crap.
  23. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    HAHAHA, well it would be a load of crap because I don't have a kid brother! But would you like me to pretend I did?

It's not really that difficult, simple psychology and intelligence is all it takes to be a good parent, really. Bad parents are ones who fail to understand human psychology, which is something of interest to me as a philosopher. The types of philosophy I most like (Nietzsche) relied heavily on psychological issues as well as philosophical. I mean, it's pretty obvious stuff for the most part, it's shocking when parents don't get it. You act like you need experience doing something to understand the basics, which isn't so. I know that the key to, let's say, a construction site would be safety meetings, careful planning, and hiring skilled employees. I've never done it and haven't been on a construction site but that's just common sense. If you don't ever allow your kids to try alcohol and make it into a huge taboo, and tell them if they ever try it before they are 21 they're going straight to hell or something, guess who is going to be REALLY curious about alcohol? But if you're raised like I was, where my parents would give me this tiny glass (2-3 sips) of wine with dinner every once in a while, it didn't seem like a big deal to me (same is true in European nations), it was just like oh ok that's alcohol well whatever, it's ok I guess. I was allowed to try a sip of beer when I was probably like 13 or 14 and I thought it tasted awful, so I really had no interest or curiosity after that until much later (now I like beer). It was never made into some huge deal, so I never thought of it that way either.

Kids especially are always curious about whatever they're NOT supposed to do, or not supposed to touch. It's just human instinct, curiosity is what has driven our race to explore and conquer the world, and into space now, "the final frontier." So it's not rocket science (ha-ha) to figure out that humans are by nature curious, especially about what they have not yet experienced.

I have no interest in having kids myself, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be better than most parents just because most people in general, parents included, are basically morons, so it's not hard to do anything better than they do it. I hate to say it but it's true. I would not want to sacrifice years of my life raising a kid, though, my time is better spent on my personal goals, which extend far beyond something fairly pedestrian like that. It's obviously necessary that some people have kids, and I wish them the best and it's great and all of that, but for me anyway, no thanks, there will be no ordinary life of cleaning dirty diapers and sleepless nights with crying kids for me. I have my sights set on bigger goals.
  24. AramysStrael Force Ghost

star 4

- Rant mode on -

I love how people think they have the right to tell others how to raise their children when they aren't parents, themselves. I love how some people (Bowen) seem to think that they have all of the answers, that their opinions make them right.

I grow tired of you insulting this group with your pathetic diatribes. There is an old addage, perhaps you have heard of it being a philosophy major and all: if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

If I had my wish, I'd ban you from posting in here. Nothing you offer is constructive to this group - hell you aren't even in Oregon anymore, so why do you continue to bog us down with you unwanted drivel? Why don't you go join some other fanforce of elitist snobs, like yourself, and just go away?

Of course I can't speak for everybody here, but I can imagine others feel the same way. So, I will just speak for myself.

- Rant mode off -

To Brook, Vengeance, and Larena, congrats to all of you. May you guys be blessed beyond measure with your upcoming bundles of joy.

- Bill
  25. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    Wowza Bowen, you've done it again! [face_laugh]

I guess I completely expected to have to defend myself or hear an endless amount of society say something about my age. So I didn't take as much offense to it knowing I should expect it. :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.