Whos more frightning- the Emperor or Vader?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Imperial_Marine, Mar 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imperial_Marine Jedi Youngling

Who do you find more frightning?
  2. jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Well, Vader looks more frightning, but IMO the Emperor actually is more frightning.
  3. Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight

star 5
    Both are pretty darn scary. Vader's more menacing, whereas Palpatine is just sort of terrifying.

Personally, I've had nightmares because of ol' Palps. *shudders* The way he walks all hunched over, with that huge cowl over his face... Very creepy.
  4. Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I would say Vader. He would kill anyone at anytime for no real reasons.
  5. Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight

star 5
    I'd argue that heatedly, but this thread isn't for that. :p ;)

Let me just ask you this: Wouldn't the Emperor just as quickly, or quicker even, kill anybody for no real reason?!
  6. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    Vader isn't so scary after ROTJ ... you know he has a heart.

But the Emperor ... **shudders**
  7. KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The Emperor frightens me more. He obviously takes extreme delight in inflicting pain on others. Vader, on the other hand, seems to see pain as just means to a goal.
  8. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
  9. Vaders_leash Jedi Youngling

star 3
    The Emperor is obviously more frightening, because we don't see him do anything expect evil acts. Whereas by the time the Emperor arrives, Vader is already showing his softer side by kneeling before his boss.

Vader might be menacing with his breath mask and helmet but we know that he needs them to survive.

But the Emperor is downright disgusting-looking - yellow eyes, wrinkles and bad teeth. And the personality to match.
  10. RebelDawn Jedi Padawan

star 4
  11. THE_DOODE Jedi Padawan

star 4
    ROTJ definately the emperor
  12. D_Lowe Jedi Knight

star 6
  13. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
    Definately old Palps.
  14. Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight

star 5
    Both are frightning but I find Darth Vader more scary. He has his own lightsabre, mind tricks, scary suit and voice. Sidious has lightning though. [face_devil]
  15. DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master

star 5
    Palps, but I adored Palpy from the moment I saw him.

He was the best character I'd ever seen. And still is! [face_love]
  16. Wise-Master Jedi Youngling

star 2
    The Emperor is more frightning. His face is eyes, everything about him is chilling. Even his tone of voice.
  17. DarthSil Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The Emperor.

Vader is vulnerable at times; the Emperor doesn't have one ounce of vulnerability.
  18. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    The Emperor is more frightening. Here's why:

Let me just ask you this: Wouldn't the Emperor just as quickly, or quicker even, kill anybody for no real reason?!

In the films, Vader never kills for no reason. If he were only interested in exercising his caprices on the nearest lackey whenever he was in a bad mood, he would have choked Veers for reporting to him on the Rebels' awareness of the fleet instead of saving the goods for Ozzel. But Vader only punishes those who are responsible for mistakes. It wasn't Piett's fault the Falcon got away in ESB, so Vader went easy on him.

Vader is trying to transform his fleet's command structure into a true meritocracy - competent officers are left alone while those who are incapable and got their positions just because of their high birth or political influence are the object of Vader's wrath. It isn't that surprising that Vader respects self-made men and despises the upper classes when you consider his own origins.

The Emperor's madness, on the other hand, seems to have no method to it. "The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am."
  19. Ret Jedi Knight

star 6
  20. Devi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The Emperor clearly creeps me out more. Vader is both a tragic figure and an agent of evil; Palpy is just plain evil.
  21. Your_Best_Bastage Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I think the Emperor is but not only because of his appearance, also because of Vader's hype. We all know how evil Vader can appear if you mess up and what does he say?

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am."

Tell me that doesn't make you want to just suck vacuum.
  22. DarthSil Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Hey, he forgave uh, somebody in Empire for letting the Milenium Falcon escape at the end. Remember?
  23. Darth_Deagol Jedi Master

star 2
  24. Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Palpy definitely gets the prize for most frightening.
  25. amien Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Personally I find Vader more scary. When I was young, he actually terrified me, especially in the ESB duel. Technically, the Emperor *is* more frightning, but I always see him as an ugly old man with cheesy "doom" lines. Vader, on the other hand, is seen physically killing people, he's got a scary voice and outfit, the works, you know. (He never scared me in ROTJ, though.)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.