main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who's More Powerful, Jedi or Sith?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DarthGrevious77, May 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthGrevious77

DarthGrevious77 Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2005
    My friend and I keep arguing about which side is more powerful. He favors the dark side because the Sith wipe out most of the Jedi and gain control of the universe (momentarily I might add). I think people believe that the Sith are more powerful because they are fierce and more agressive in battle. I've always thought the Jedi were more defensive and the Sith more offensive minded. But I don't necessarily believe that one side is stronger than the other. When it comes to battle I think they are equals. The Sith want power at all costs and would do anything to gain the advantage in a duel. That makes them more dangerous but not more powerful. From the little I've read so far the Darth Sidious/Yoda battle is a stalemate. I think that proves my point exactly. But when it comes to personal strength and character the Jedi are stronger than the Sith. It's easier to succumb to your emotions and to your darker side but it takes discipline to keep that part of yourself in check. After all the years of war and bloodshed it is the light side that wins. What do you guys think?

2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    It is a matter of point of view.
    I look at it this way, the Jedi are able to work along with hundreds of other Jedi. The Sith can't be trusted with other Sith and as a result there is the rule of two.

Based on that, I like to argue that the Jedi are more powerful.
    The darkside is the easier path, more seductive and often times the weak or naive fall prey to it. To remain a Jedi, that requires a strong will and determination. Which is strength.

It is all personal perspective.

-Seldon

3. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    In terms of using the Force, a Jedi and a Sith can be equal in power. Experience in using the Force, knowledge of the Force, and growth in the Force has to be taken into account.

It depends on how the Force is being used. In AOTC Dooku tried to use the dark side of the Force on Yoda, but Yoda countered everything Dooku had to dish to him.

The Sith weakness is their selfishness, and their overconfidence. The Jedi don't have these weaknesses because they act in the exact opposite. The Jedi are disciplined, strong willed, and selfless. And that is their strength.

The Jedi are stronger because of their codes and ideals.

4. Darth-Wyrm

Darth-Wyrm Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2005
    It depends what you mean by "power". If you're talking about in terms of strength to fight, I think the Sith are more powerful, but less durable.

They're whole thing is about aggression and domination. They're built to be warriors. The Jedi do much more with the Force than just fight. Thus, I think the Sith are better warriors.

But the Sith can't last long. They're too aggressive for their own good and flame out eventually. The Jedi have the perfect balance of the Force and are great warriors, but that doesn't consume them.

5. Philosopher1701

Philosopher1701 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    Under no circumstances are you to post the ROTS script or excerts from it.

This is according to Palpatine's point of view. :)

6. Mekanus

Mekanus Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    the light side is more powerful because you can use the dark side for the benefits of your light lifeforce

7. Saeon-Faust

Saeon-Faust Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2005
    I don't think you can characterize the Light side of the force in power. As soon as you do that you are taking a dark side view of the Force.

But the light side is stronger for these reasons: The sith must not only fight the Jedi, they must fight themselves. The darkside is the only side of the force which actually takes a visible toll on its users. Not only that, but think of this, no matter how powerful or how widespread the dark side was, it could never completely destroy the light side. No matter how powerful the emperor was, he could never trully defeat the light side.

Which brings me to my next point. If you watch the arching story of all six episodes, everything serves the lightsides purpose in the end.

I think the darksides only strength is that it can be funner to play in a video game... but then not even really.

8. Saeon-Faust

Saeon-Faust Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2005
    My opinion has evolved

The light side is the more powerful because of this:

The dark side isn't even natural. To use it, one must twist the force. The incessant twisting of the force caused it to create a person so powerful in the force that it would restore balance to itself.

The lightside is the force, the dark side is just a twisted mirror of it.

9. MASTER_GUNDARK

MASTER_GUNDARK Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2005
    Jedi are more powerful quite simply because thay come out on top at the end of the Saga. If you look at it the Sith ruled the galaxy for around only 30 years, Yoda lived 900 years

You do the maths

10. darthrewris

darthrewris Jedi Youngling

May 10, 2005
    I don't think either side is "greater" than the other, there would be no good if their wasn't a bad and vice versa. This creates "BALANCE" and balance means what? yes balance means equal in weight or whatever.

The rule of two also goes for the Jedi. Yoda himself said it, he's not Sith be he believes in it.

Darth Sidious and Darth Maul -->
    Darth Sidious and Darth Tyrannous -->
    Darth Sidious and Darth Vader

Qui Gon Jin and Obi Wan Kenobi -->
    Obi Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker -->
    Obi Wan Kenobi and Luke Skywalker

If I were to argue if one side can top the other it really is subjective to one characters utilization of one's skills.

I argue Darth Maul is better than Darth Vader for the simple fact he held off two jedi master and even killed one. Some say Obi Wan Wasn't a master as yet, but I see it different, if anything he just didn't OFFICALLY complete the trials. I like the Sith better overall but I do like some Jedi, Qui Gon, Yoda, and Windu.

11. CrispyAmbience

CrispyAmbience Jedi Youngling

May 10, 2005
    Luke: "Is the Dark Side stronger?"
    Yoda: "No...quicker, easier, more seductive"

'Nuff said

12. darthrewris

darthrewris Jedi Youngling

May 10, 2005
    of course Yoda would say that, hes an adovcate of the light side. don't believe the hype.

13. Jedi_Aero-Stone

Jedi_Aero-Stone Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2005
    Sith, more battles, win they may...but victory in war to the Jedi belongs. ;)

Sith operate on Cunning.. a base charactor trait
    Jedi utilize Wisdom... always a higher charactor trait

14. BigDaddy_Darth

BigDaddy_Darth Jedi Youngling

Apr 26, 2005
    I really don't believe there is a Dark side and a Light side in the literal sense. All force users, Jedi and Sith alike have the same potential and powers. Therefore, the "Dark" and "Light" are within the person. The biggest difference is the Defensive (Benefiting Others) vs. Offensive (Benefiting the self) struggle. That is why the "Dark" side makes such a great FOIL to the "Light" side throughout the entire story. If the Jedi would have fought "Fire with Fire" in the PT like Luke did in the ROTJ. they would have been better off and if they were as virtuous as they like to think they were, they would have ultimately resisted the "Dark" side once they called on that part of themselves as Luke did.

15. Dark_Prince

Dark_Prince Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2005
    What does make a person stronger?

Power (SITH) or Wisdom (JEDI)?

Power is nice and all, but you need wisdom and knowledge to apply to your power. So, I'll go with the Jedi.

16. DarthMyBoy

DarthMyBoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2003
    I believe that the Jedi or the "Light" side is stronger because the although the dark side seems more powerful due to its aggressiveness, the dark side will eventually be your undoing. Your rage and emotions take over and you succumb to them.

A Jedi has the mental discipline and the will to grow from understanding, not by raw ability and power. I once saw a quote that someone put on this board...

"A Jedi gains power through understanding, A Sith gains understanding through power"

Due to my personal beliefs, understanding is the root of power, thus a Jedi is stronger. The Jedi are defeated by the Sith in Ep. III because they have grown arrogant and complacent with the statue quo

17. Delta_62

Delta_62 Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 20, 2005
  18. Nur_Ab_Sal

Nur_Ab_Sal Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2004
    Sith are more powerful in terms of force mastery. They can blow up the stars (Naga Sadow) or paralyze entire senate full of jedi masters (Exar Kun) but their desirte for power makes them vulnerable. Their philosphy is based on selfdestruction while Jedi can cooperate and support each other - thanks to it they win.

19. GeneralGrevious3333

GeneralGrevious3333 Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2005
    well wut would u have little wind powers or powerful lighning? and would u rather be yoda or some1 like count duku or ya no GeneralGrevious?

20. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I'd honestly rather be like Yoda. I have no desire to cause the suffering that Sith generally delight in. I also would rather live 900 years than Dooku's 80. Yoda also is far wiser than Dooku.

21. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    This has always stumped me. On one hand, you would naturally think they were both equal in power, otherwise it would be impossible to bring the Force into balance.

And on the other, why would individuals fall to the temptations of the dark side if it wasn't more powerful? I find it hard to believe that so many people would be hoodwinked by the sheer attractiveness alone.

<[-]> Saber

22. chad715

chad715 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2005
    A fact that i know is that the traditional jedi crystals are more maneuverable but slightly less powerful than a blade using synthetic sith crystals

23. PrinceHector

PrinceHector Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    Evil cannot exist on its own - it is merely a corruption of good. And for that matter the Sith cannot even be safe from their own comrades. Jedi is more powerful, however Sith is quicker and easier.

24. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    Every light casts an even greater shadow
    SITH

25. Nirnaeth

Nirnaeth Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2005
    there's no good without evil

and since the dark side and the light side are two different, but complementary ways of the force, their different users, Sith and Jedi, are also somehow complementary. That's why I dont' think one of them could be more powerful than the other. They have different levels of using the force for the habilities both posess, but there are habilities and powers ones have and the others don't....but what makes Sith powerfull in battle, makes Jedi powerfull in society and so on.
    It depends on the point of comparison.....but in universal termn, so to say, I think they are equal
    [face_blush]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.