main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who's related to who?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darthbaker, Jun 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthbaker

darthbaker Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2003
    Why is there a difference in epII and Return of the Jedi of who Luke's uncle and aunt are? In Return, Obi-Wan tells Luke that "When your father left, he didn't know that your mother was pregnant.Your mother and I knew he would find out eventually, but we wanted to keep you both as safe as possible, for as long as possible. So I took you to live with my brother Owen on Tatooine... and your mother took Leia to live as the daughter of Senator Organa on Alderaan."
    Now, in epII, Anikin goes looking for his mother and meets Owen Lars, his step brother...how is that possible? Why would Obi-Wan take Luke back to the planet Anikin was from and not only live with Anikin's step brother, but not change Luke's last name...if they were trying to keep Luke a secret? And why was Leia's last name changed to Organa?

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Luke was allowed to keep the Skywalker name so he would have a reason to want to redeem it when he found out who his father was.

Leia was the adopted daughter of Bail Organa, so it only makes sense that her last name would be changed.

3. Darth-Asimov

Darth-Asimov Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2003
    Obi never says in the film that owen was his brother

4. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Shmi ---> Anakin

^
    |
    |
    |
    v

Cliegg ---> Owen

Therefore, Shmi has Anakin, marries Clieg who already had Owen, therefore being related with different parents, making them step brothers.

I think Bib answered the rest.

5. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    Uh...DarthBaker? Are you feelin' alright, man? Because that line was never in the film.

6. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    It was in the novelisation of RotJ, and (correct me if I'm wrong) in the screenplay as well. It just never made the final cut for the movie.

7. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I believe he was reading from the novelization.

Edit: Bah. Defeated. :p

8. darthbaker

darthbaker Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2003
    You know guys, theres more to the story than whats in the movies. Although the book was written by James Kahn, it was authorized by Lucas. There is alot of little details in these books that aren't in the movies. Like in the next movie, we are going to see Mon Mothma.I know in The Return of the Jedi she was never described as anything but a Rebel leader. But in the book she was described as a senior member of the Republic, a member of the high council. My point is that there is more to the story than meets the eye.

9. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    I posted a thread on Owen Lars & OB1 in the CT forum and the response I got was that the novelisation was wrong and that it would one day be changed. If you want to look at it look for subject "Owen Lars".

Who knows? Have a nice day ;)

10. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    There are numerous differences between the novels and the films and which supercedes the other is the essence of what is an is not canon, which there are other forums for.

As to the question at hand, who's related to whom, Owen is obviously not Obi-Wan's brother, regardless of what the novel says. Owen is Anakin's step-brother through his mom's marriage to Cliegg Lars.

11. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Owen and Obi-Wan can still be brothers, just not biologically or via marriage.

12. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    That may be true, Baker, but Owen is no longer related to Obi-Wan in any way whatsoever. That dialogue was never in the film, and was invalidated by Episode II. Sincce it was never in the film, there is no contradiction.

13. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "Owen and Obi-Wan can still be brothers, just not biologically or via marriage."

Um, then how? Blood-brothers? ;)

Blues Brothers? :D

Will Star Wars become "Oh Brother, where art thou?" [face_laugh]

(Sorry... [face_blush] )

14. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    The ROTJ novelization is notoriously unreliable. It also says that Yoda never met Anakin. I'm pretty sure that's incorrect.

The ROTJ novelization is a glimpse of where GL's mind once was, not where it is now.

15. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Yes, the novelization of RoTJ has a reference to them being brothers. However, this should not be taken too much in the literal since, as it is not actually a contradiction to anything established in AotC.

Rather, it is entirely possible that, through Obi-Wan's relationship with Anakin as his Padawan (and Owen being Anakin's step-brother), that the two formed a friendship equal to that of "brothers". This would be furthered by Obi-Wan's entrusting Owen with Luke. ;) :)

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

16. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Such a relationship would have to be established on film. Which I doubt. Those lines were cut for a reason.

17. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Who says it has to be established on film? Plenty can happen to Owen and Obi-Wan in the 20 years between EP3 and ANH.

18. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    I dunno Bib, the reaction Owen had at the mention of Ben's name doesn't seem to be that of recognition of somebody you once considered your brother...

19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Personally, I don't know why GL decided to change it so that Obi-Wan and Owen aren't brothers in the movies. To me, that makes more sense than having Anakin and Owen be step brothers, because then it seems like Anakin would at least think to stop by his relatives house, wouldn't he?

But no, in the movies, Obi-Wan and Owen aren't related.

-sj loves kevin spacey

20. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Besides, Anakin and Owen being step-brothers gives Luke a reason to call Owen uncle. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.