main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who's still bashing?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by bswb, May 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bswb

bswb Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2000
    Went to a BBQ with one of my most disgruntled Star Wars fans and the inevitable Episode 3 discussion came up. I was so sure that he would have positive things to say, but he replied with "It was ok...I don't know if I really liked it. The dialogue was just awful."

Now granted, I'll give him several of the exchanges between Anakin and Padme. But beyond that, I felt that some of the writing was the strongest of the series.

We chatted some more and he never agreed with my positive points. Oh well, some people will never be happy with it.

Anyways, just curious, how many bashers in your life see ROTS as redemption and how many are more bitter than ever?

2. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    I don't hang out with any bashers. People that I know who hate Star Wars are not fans so I don't bother bringing up Star Wars with them. They are the types that like chick flicks and other crap like that. :p

3. beedubew

beedubew Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    I'm with you DarthBabe. If a friend of mine is going to find problems with the PT and not see the ones in the OT, I just avoid the topic of Star Wars. All 6 movies have at least one flaw in them. From my point of view. I think everybody can think of one thing, however minute, they would change in 1 of the 6 movies. I mean, Greedo shooting first? Those things just need to be ignored for the sake of the whole story. That story is just great.

4. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Good Lord, I am so sick of people complaining about the dialogue. Especially "supposed" Star Wars fans. Before the internet, I don't recall anyone ever having the presence of mind to pay attention to dialogue in any movie, much less scrutinize it or have their experience of a movie "ruined" by it. Just... who. Freakin'. Cares. It's probably the least important aspect of the film experience, ESPECIALLY Star Wars, which is first and foremost a visual myth told through images and music. That goes double for the acting, which is absolutely fine physically, but people get so caught up in every inflection or nuance when it comes to delivery. Why can't one just accept that that's the way these people talk?!

Sorry. I'm calm, really. :p It just bugs me beyond words lately, because it is so old-hat by now. But if those people want to stay stuck in their own miserable little bubble, guess there's not much we can do about it.

But no, I haven't personally run into any bashers in "the real world" - everyone I've talked to has been very enthusiastic about the saga as a whole, especially now that the last puzzle piece has been fit. I've been delayed rewatching the other SW films because my DVDs - both prequel and original - are getting lent out so much lately.

5. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Every basher I know thinks that ROTS is much better than TPM and AOTC. Some of them don't like the directing/dialogue in the romantic scenes with Anakin and Padmé(which I can understand but don't necessarily agree with), but other than that, the overall reaction is "Awesome!" :)

...and along comes the inevitable "but the old movies are still better" :rolleyes:

Lucas is one of the best filmmakers ever
    /LM

6. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I have been pleasantly surprised. A few people have remarked on the dialogue, the beginning being too slow, that it was a let down, that the NOOOOOOOOOO was stupid, etc, but I haven't actually met a single person who said "I did not like it." The worst I have heard is "It was OK" and really I've seen more interest and enjoyment from non-fans than I can remember in a long time.

When we all get defensive about the bashing, it is important to remember two things:

1) there were plenty of people who did not even SEE the OT

2) there were plenty of people who saw the OT and hated it

At some point there seemed to be this impression that everyone got that 'Everyone always loved the original Star Wars movies!' but nothing could be further from the truth. These new films are as beloved as the originals, maybe more.

Somehow we (me included) seemed to think and hope that everyone would love Star Wars, but I can remember battling with my uncles when TESB and ROTJ came out and they hated them, I don't even think they bothered to go see them.

Bashers have existed since 1977, it's just that they are more vocal now with the internet around.

7. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I've gotten many people saying they don't like it but for my opinion on that is they probably went in determined not to like it.

8. CoolHanLuke

CoolHanLuke Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    I haven't heard anything negative. I try to talk it up with other people in the theater when I ask them if they've seen the other SW films. Then I tell them this is my "X" time to see it (I've seen it 6 times, so far). I tell them there is so much going on in this film, that it's meant to be seen more that once, you know, "because it ties everything together."

I did notice different responses in the theater when I saw it with fans and then without. When it comes to Obi-wan's line, "So uncivilized," , most SW fans can be heard, but, as far as the general public, not a peep; although, maybe they "get it," but just don't show it.

To the bashers credit, I did manage to hear some sniffling from the audience after The Duel, especially after Obi-wan says, "You were my brother, Anakin...I loved you." Human love is something most people can relate to, whether it's from a science fiction story or not.

9. vikingjedi1

vikingjedi1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2001
    Im one of the people who didn't like it that much, but I have a different reason. Basically I had a lot of trouble watching the Jedi and just about everything I liked about Star Wars die in front of me. I know its not how the series ends, but I just didn't feel right.

It was like watching the Vikings/Giants NFC championship game all over again where the Giants won 41-0.

Did the movie accomplish what it was supposed to? Definitely. I just didn't think it would effect me as much as it did.

10. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Finally, at long last, I feel immune to the bashing. I've always been hypersensitive to it, but no longer. I've achieved a zen-like state of harmony with the Star Wars saga. I no longer care what anyone says, I love it to death and that's all I care about anymore. And as a complete saga I am now MUCH more forgiving of its flaws.

11. silvermark

silvermark Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2001
    You nailed it, stormcloud. That's 100% how I feel.

12. thenink

thenink Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2002
    ^^Me too.

My mind is clear. I am at Peace. :D

13. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Well, aside from the most negative people on earth (and trust me, they are), most people seem to at least like it. The previous non-SW-hardcore-fans absolutely loved it and said everything made sense now.

14. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I only know one person so far who has seen it and she didn't like it, actually. She only liked Hayden... :rolleyes:

I'm gonna try to see the movie with my brothers instead and they will hopefully understand the greatness of RotS. Although my big brother is a major PT basher, I can't see how he is ever going to dislike this one.

15. Hatter

Hatter Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    It galls me to even post on this board, knowing that all the bashers in their Sanctuary over in SW Community are tearing this new film apart, just like the other two. :mad:

16. Steve1977

Steve1977 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2000
    It baffles me that bashers still exist because they all invariably hate The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones so why on earth did they stay for Revenge of the Sith? Furthermore, why do these 'bashers' go and see it more than once if they hate it! pretty laughable if you ask me.
    If I dislike something I dont keep on wailing on about it, I just move onto something I do like. In this aspect, discussion forums on the net resemble a kindergarten playground. lol

rock on star wars!

Menace - Exciting
    Clones - Exhilirating
    Revenge - Shocking
    New Hope - gratifying
    Empire - Suprising
    Jedi - Satifying

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.