main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Who's the Baddie - NSA Edition

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Aug 10, 2013.

?

Who's the Baddie

1. Darth Plagueis

15 vote(s)
    25.4%
  2. Darth Sidious/Palpatine

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  3. Darth Vader

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. A secret apprentice

6 vote(s)
    10.2%
  5. A fallen Jedi

10 vote(s)
    16.9%
  6. Other

27 vote(s)
    45.8%
  1. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Plagueis was definitely worried when he discovered Anakin's existence. It wasn't intrigue, as in, "Oh, did one of my experiments actually succeed?" It was "Oh no! This is a PROBLEM." I don't necessarily know what that means, but it's something to ponder on.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  2. fuzzbox77

fuzzbox77 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2008
    I hope it's no existing villain, no EU or resurrected character. No Maul or Fett (because their resurrection would be ludicrous on live action film because nobody is going to buy Fett surviving the Sarlacc or a Sith Lord cut in half on film unless they really bought into the EU - and most don't care about the EU apart from bigger fans). It's been over done already. The villains have got to be universal across the board for passive viewers/passive fans and not just the hardcore fan base.

Somebody original, somebody human - maybe somebody on a quest to discover the secrets of the dark side and wreaking havoc in the process.

Revious Nugo and I know like this.
  3. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    I think it's going to be Plagueis and I think that's the correct direction to take in order to tie the three trilogies together. Resurrected Palps would tie things together too, but would be far more off putting for the casual viewing public than the return of a character we've merely heard a brief mention of.

Definitely think there needs to be a creative way to use him though. I don't want to see him dumbed down on screen into your basic power hungry Sith.

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Luke will be the bad guy :p

LunarMoth likes this.
  5. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
  6. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Looking back to how great a villain Vader was...I really hope they figure out a villain that isn't just some merchandising gimmick like Maul was. I mean, he could've been great had he been allowed to return, rather than sliced in half. Vader was a merchandising success because he was a formidable villain. Look how much Vader stuff was churned out with Vader's image on it for Episode III, with all of 5 minutes of screen time!
    I am voting "No" on Darth Plagueis as well. I don't think that the writers will want to rehash the EU "ghost converts Jedi" trope. Maybe some gangsters like the Hutts will be involved? All I do know is...I don't want to even know their names until I hear 'em in the theater!

7. DarthMarik

DarthMarik Jedi Master

Sep 23, 2012
    I feel like the next big bad should be a Sith who secretly rules an entire galaxy of his own with an iron fist. Essentially a character like Darkseid from DC comics but with a dash Apocaplypse from Marvel. Ideally for me I feel like such a character could be connected to the Old Republic like he could be completely unknown in terms of story even have his species be a mystery(by having him completely covered in armor) with subtle hints that imply he's a sith pure blood that is some how a remnant of the old Sith Empire.

I like this idea because I think the idea of a Sith who rules an entire galaxy and with no one opposing his absolute rule would make for a true challenge to the Jedi and republic and before you start with that "Anakin was the chosen one!" line let me just say balance does not mean only the light side prevails the word balance implies both sides being of equal strength. Also there is the sith prophesy of the Sith'ari to consider.

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thread merge

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't care about the Chosen One prophecy but we did already have a Sith ruling the galaxy. Not sure I want a rehash of that.

Immortiss likes this.
  10. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I don't like the idea of Plagueis. Simply because you're going back in time and resurrecting a dead man. I'd like to see a fallen Jedi leading a new faction of Jedi, but along the story line of not knowing which Jedi faction is good and which is bad. Make the viewer have to pick sides on whom to root for. Maybe have things start as the Yhuuzan Vong War is winding down and we can see a struggle between all the factions of Jedi and galactic governments that had banded together to fight off the Vong.

11. Revious Nugo

Revious Nugo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 14, 2014
    This whole thread is making me skeptical of the ST.

12. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Yes, me too. It makes you wonder if Lucas painted the entire saga into a corner. Plagueis might have been an Easter Egg that was planted in the PT which hints at the new trilogy's villain, or it might just be that he's really dead and won't be coming back. The latter seems more likely, though. The new villains will be hard to come up with, to be sure.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Vader and Palpatine probably left enough artifacts and holocrones to train three Sith Lords when they died. All those collected informations and artifacts stolen from the Jedi back during the purge plus whatever Sith trinkets Palpatine owned. Maybe we'll see the first self-trained darksider.

14. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    I like the idea of a Holocron discovered by some old archeologist, who just so happens to have a intern student that's Force sensitive. It could be interesting, especially if the latter has a relationship with someone from the past — like say a famous Jedi, who had a secret family that no one knew about. And maybe the idea of being abandoned at such a young age is what drives this Force sensitive kid to seek the knowledge of the power that his father had, and because he doesn't have anyone to teach him to control it it is this power that corrupts him. The feeling of abandonment and the grudge a kid would have could make for an interesting but different story in Star Wars.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  15. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
  16. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Plagueis being alive after all these years would be somewhat hard to swallow but not too hard to explain, and there's so many things going for him that exceeds any other villain, as well.

For one thing, he's an entirely old but new character at the same time — the Sith Master who trained Darth Sidious, who was mentioned by name only, makes him very important, indeed. But the fact that he comes from a line of Dark Lords, that might have been many or a few, and who vowed to continue the Sith Imperative, makes him even more intriguing.

The second thing is, he might have been the only being to ever discover the secret to cheating death, which implies that he's probably the most powerful Sith Master to ever exist. And if he has learned this secret, then it's possible he's used it to save himself. Seeing into the future and cheating death are very powerful abilities, but it doesn't mean anything if you can't do both. Having said that, we all know that Force Users can see the future. Well, somewhat, anyway. In this case, having learned the ability to cheat death would be two advantages over anyone else, including their apprentice. I can't imagine someone this powerful would share this secret, also.

But, like most people have said, his body would probably have been incinerated and disposed of carefully. But what if Palpatine didn't believe in this power, anyway? What if he felt that he had defeated his master and there would be no chance of Plagueis recovering, despite the fact that his master would have boasted that he could cheat death? It's possible that Palpatine never witnessed any of this, and that all dialogue involving Plagueis' boasts was just that, boasts.

If you watch the scene in ROTS, it sort of seems like Palpatine was mocking the dead Sith Lord's achievements. It tells you that he was either disgusted by this Dark Lord's failings of staying alive after discovering such powers, or he never believed that cheating death was possible to begin with and Plagueis was nothing but a dreamer.

goldstandard333 likes this.
  17. Revious Nugo

Aug 14, 2014
    Darth Plagueis is an intriguing idea, to say the least.

18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    How exactly is Plagueis a threat to the heroes? Is he a great pilot? Can he stalk his prey like Maul? Is he a great military commander? Or is he just a guy who sits on his butt all day, biding his time until his more powerful predecessors are gone? I care less about who he is in some arbitrary line of Darth or fancy title of "most powerful of ever rara" rather than what he does. And that wasn't taking charge, it was sitting on his butt for decades, while other Sith ruled the universe.

Cheating death ... the more often the heroes manage to kill the great Darth Plagueis, the more of a joke will he become. And sooner or later they will find the McGuffin that destroys him anyway.

19. Revious Nugo

Aug 14, 2014
    I find it interesting how many fans have their hearts set on Plagueis.

20. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Ruling a galaxy in secret rather than out in the open like Palpatine did is better in my eyes. And besides, when you can cheat death, isn't that the ultimate prize, anyway? What's better than living forever and ruling an empire from the shadows when no one really knows who you are and what to do about it? The Sith never really needed to come out in the open, anyway, because all it did was get them killed. They had as much control over the Republic as they wanted by staying hidden.

21. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Ruling the galaxy in secret sounds like delusions to me. How is the audience sold that Plagueis isn't another megalomaniac that hopelessly overestimates himself? How is he better than Palpatine who at least held massive power? Do we need a second but worse Palpatine sitting on a chair all day?

22. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Well, I just think it's more intriguing to find out who the cancer is and then having to root it out than knowing who the clear-cut enemy is. if it's one thing that the Prequels did right it was keeping the true enemy in the shadows.

23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    The prequels just made everyone look foolish. I can't say the whole shadow villain thing worked out well. Maybe it works for one movie, but I certainly don't want to see a repeat of the PT plot in the sequels. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having clear-cut villains.

24. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    I was only referring to Plagueis's part in all this. I still want a get-personal, Vader-like villain that survives the first two films regardless.

25. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Are you guys avoiding any teasers or trailers that will be put out there?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.