main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Vader isn't the be all, end all Sith, yet you don't see other Sith Lords wearing his armor and breathing loudly. If Vader gets armor and breath, why can't Sheev have lightning?

2. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    He's the Father, of course he's the be all and end all Sith. With Vader it's about the psychological relationship between father, son and daughter. Sheev is the barrier.

Sheev has lightening, he simply shares the trait with Dooku, which illustrates that Sheev's power is not unique or entirely uncommon. If Plagueis appears it will not diminish Sheev since the storyteller has let us know that Sheev's power is not necessarily uncommon. Cheating death might be.

"Why can't Sheev have a son who is a hero that helps to turn him back to the light from his master who has him in thrall..........."blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.........":)

Dra--- and thejeditraitor like this.
  3. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Vader had his armor and breath because Obi-Wan left him as a char-broiled soon to be ex-Sith in ROTS. To everyone else it was armor but to Vader it was a portable iron lung. Granted, if you're picking up the story from ANH you don't know that, but we know now that there's more to the story.

If we're going to make people unique in the GFFA then there should only be one person wielding a lightsaber and one person only. Only one person can move items around the room without lifting a finger, only one person who can force choke another person.

Star Wars is a living, breathing story that evolves as new chapters are added to it. I'm sure we'll see new skills and abilities in the ST that George didn't think to add or want to add to either the PT or ST.

Sheev may have been unique in his mastery of Force Lightning but that doesn't mean he should be unique in his ability to use Force Lightning.

4. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    With the exception of force choking, those were always presented as generic Jedi powers. Force Lightning was presented as a "holy ****!!!!!!!!" moment in ROTJ.

My point was about the dramatic introduction of Force Lightning in ROTJ more than it was about Sheev's uniqueness.

5. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    While I would like to see whole armies of sith, seeing a non-force user villain who can prove a challenge to the hero's would be cool. Seeing some new unique force powers from jedi and sith is a must.

6. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Exactly. In other words, your point is about good storytelling as opposed to adherence to some Sith ability scorecard.

7. Darth_Dru

Darth_Dru Jedi Master star 1

Jan 11, 2001
    Hoping for ancient sith, or palps master Darth Plagueis.

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Could one of the plotlines of the ST be informing the people of the galaxy on what the Jedi and Sith truly are? I've often heard things "the average person never meets a Jedi" or "the average person doesn't know the difference between a Jedi and a Sith".

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014

yeah, so it is perfect when Luke sits on an isolated planet/island to reach this. [face_whistling]

10. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Only if it's done in the style of those wildly offensive stereotyping public service announcements from the 50s and 60s.

11. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    This idea that people in the GFFA don't know who the Jedi are has always seemed weird to me. They were guardians of peace in justice in the galaxy for a 1,000 years at least.

Now this might make sense if the GFFA weren't so technologically advanced. Before the Empire rose and probably began controlling the media, you would have had plenty of shows, fiction and nonfiction, out there interested in portraying the actions super beings. Whether or not people met real Jedi, they'd know all about them.

And after the Empire loses total dominance in ROTJ, the media would be free enough to start informing Han Solo's generation what had been kept from them.

So when some fans act like the Jedi were always some kind of myth even prior to the Empire, I sort of wonder why they think that. It's like they don't believe there's any TV or film in the GFFA.

12. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Sheev turns and looks at the camera:

"I wonder what Marshall McLuhan would say about that?"

*In his best Woody Allen voice*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. plaidphoenix

Nov 6, 2013
    I agree, but by that token, during the Empire's reign, why don't more people make some connection between Anakin Skywalker and Luke Skywalker? Granted only a handful of people know Anakin became Darth Vader but still, some people had to be familiar with the name Skywalker and put 2 and 2 together on their own like the deleted scene from ANH when Red Leader tells Luke he flew with Anakin during the clone wars.

Dra--- likes this.
  14. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    For me during the Empire's reign I can buy that people's information is controlled. So I can buy that the name Skywalker doesn't mean much by ANH.

But before and after the Empire's hegemony, information would flow freely, and via incredible tech networks.

plaidphoenix likes this.
  15. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I think Force lightning was a dark side power that was probably mastered by a lot of Sith Lords. Maybe Vader couldn't use it because of his mostly machine body and iron lung armor. Maybe Maul couldn't use it cause he either hasn't been trained in it yet or wasn't "smart enough" in the force to use it. He was just kind of a walking weapon.

16. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    That may be the case from a lore perspective. But in terms of telling an effective story, overusing something like that simply diminishes its power.

17. dlbates

Nov 30, 2014
    I might buy that if we didn't see Dooku use it in AOTC. Also Canon or not, every dude named Darth so and so used force lightning in every video game with the name Star Wars in the title. Even some who were just Dark Jedi. So at this point lore or not, every Star Wars fan just assumes Force lightning is an attainable goal when mastering the dark side.

18. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    That's part of my point. I thought Dooku's use of the force lightning was terrible, for a number of reasons, but mostly because it gave the impression that this a rather standard Sith practice. Emperor Palpatine's use of it in ROTJ gave the impression of a god-like power. If every old guy with a red lightsaber can do it too, it becomes a tad mundane.

19. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Was it really overused though? Only two out of the four Sith lords we've seen in film have used it.

Now on the point of Dooku needing to use it, I agree. They could have come up with a different power for him. Then again, what would have obviously looked cooler than lightening?

One good reason to give Dooku lightening is people automatically see that he's nearly as powerful as Palp.

20. dlbates

Nov 30, 2014
    I'm sure when it came to the force, Dooku was already at a close level to Palpatine. Maybe his power in the force made it easier to master certain aspects of the dark side. He was already a well repected Jedi Master prior to turning to the dark side.

21. plaidphoenix

Nov 6, 2013
    One way they could up the game of Uber, assuming he's Sith, is to have the lightning come from someplace other then his hands. Have it just materialize out of thin air from someplace clear across the room or something like that.

Dra--- likes this.
  22. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    He could shoot a rainbow from his chest that makes everyone like him and trust him, and then kaplow, he fries their brains with lightning from his eyes.

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Force Trust Rainbow

24. plaidphoenix

Nov 6, 2013
    You guys are talking about Care Bears...
    [​IMG]
    And if that ain't evil, I don't know what is.

EHT, thejeditraitor, Dra--- and 3 others like this.
  25. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014

[face_rofl]

In all seriousness though, they could certainly 'up the anti' if we see Uber use the Dark Side in a way previously not seen. It may not be a Force Rainbow, but it could be something equally um... fabulous. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.