main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

How is it "less advanced"? It worked.

Anyway, what evidence is there that Adam Driver is Kylo Ren?

Dra--- and plaidphoenix like this.
  2. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Is this a serious question? A comm link is essentially a walkie talkie. Are you claiming that's more advanced than, say, an entire computer that you hold in your hand - such as an IPhone? In any event, you're getting caught up in the weeds. The point is that some tech in the OT seems rather low-fi than it does in other sci-fi films. The shaky holos, the comm links, the simple early CAD compter sims (death star plans), etc. This is all a function of the era they were conceived in - late 70s, early 80s. But I like it, and want it to continue. Nostalgia? Sure, probably. But I don't care! :)

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  3. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I seriously doubt I'm the only person on this board who can say this but I can remember a time when a telephone was just a telephone and that's all we need it it to be. We didn't need a phone that could also play music or movies or download files. All we needed it to do was let us talk to someone in another location in real time. And that's what it did and that's what a comm link did.

I swear there are times I think the Amish have the right idea where technology is concerned.

4. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Yes, it is a serious question. How is it "less advanced"? And what is it "less advanced" than? When is it "unreliable"?

Shakey holograms, etc. are not ineffectual and Qui-Gon's commlink was able to transmit readings of blood - my iPhone can't do that. ;)

The commlinks are communication devices - not supposed to be computers.

Well, I don't think I'd agree with the Amish bit, but the rest? Yes. ;)

Dra--- and plaidphoenix like this.
  5. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    Right. The point is they are clunky. That's it. And I like that clunkiness.

6. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    You're not the only person. I was born in the 70s too!

Saurion-Fett likes this.
  7. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Clunky? No, they are quite small.

Do you mean not not bright, shiny and smooth like most futuristic devices?

Dra--- likes this.
  8. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    Largeness is not a necessary condition for clunkiness. Clunky also means: "clumsy in style, form, or execution." And yes, compared to the shininess and smoothiness of most futuristic devices (the comparison I made originally).

9. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

That definition I agree with - yes, the tech of the GFFA can be clunky, taking functionality over style (though still being cool ;))

However, they are "not advanced" or "unreliable". ;)

Dra--- likes this.
  10. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    You would have made an excellent Sith Lord, my dear. Alas, they don't seem to be hiring anymore!

Dra--- and fishtailsam like this.
  11. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

For this, I require another explanation.

12. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    Your delight in torture? A mild form of torture your style of discourse may seem. But it's still torture! :)

Dra--- and TK327 like this.
  13. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

I don't follow. What "torture"?

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The painful, painful variety. :p

15. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    See: Disapproval, A Chorus of, "The painful, painful variety," TheForce.Net Jedi Council Forums, Who's the Baddie? pp. 1010.

16. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

You made the comment, you really should be the one to explain and not rely on others. ;)

17. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    [​IMG]

18. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    So the baddie is going to be lo-fi technology?

Dra--- likes this.
  19. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Everyone will be using those old mobile phones the size of bricks, which also double as weapons.[​IMG]

20. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    So I’d agree that this has always been a relatively difficult one to juggle... You have the ubiquitous Jedi, in the time of the Old Republic and up until events in ROTS, protecting the galaxy and performing incredible feats... and in the space of circa 20 years they go from that to not only being mostly forgotten, but considered “ancient”. However, I think this is a conceit that was made problematic in the OT itself, by depicting the Jedi as being long forgotten, but by having Obi-Wan and Yoda still in play (and now we have other Jedi in Rebels). I suppose, looking at it pragmatically, Hitler and the Nazi’s had managed to expunge Germany of both contemporary and historic Jewish writing/culture in quite a short time frame. If the Nazi’s had remained in power for a generation, I think it’s highly likely that knowledge of certain races/cultures/faiths would have been extinguished from public consciousness completely.

Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  21. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

I don't remember there being any character in the franchise that didn't know about the Jedi.

darklordoftech likes this.
  22. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

We've cracked it! Uber is Darth Motorolus!

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  23. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I agree. I don't think there is a character who states "what's a Jedi?". And as Luke knew what a Jedi Knight was back on Tatooine, we can assume that there's a common knowledge of them amongst the populace of the galaxy. But there's certainly a strong inference that the Jedi are seen as something belonging to the past/of another time.

24. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Right. I think being wiped out en masse and completely discredited by the current governing body of the universe 19 years before A New Hope takes place will definitely do that, make people talk about Jedi as a thing of the past. Because they were. Imagine if a modern religion died out completely and very publicly in 1996. Suddenly coming across a devoted follower of that religion in 2015 would be seem very bizarre.

I'm curious as to how much the general public knows about Darth Vader's death and the end of Palpatine's reign at the battle of Endor. And what, if anything, most people think of when they hear the word "Jedi" some 30 years after Vader's death.

25. Ligenot

Ligenot Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014
    Such is the destiny of Tom Cruise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.