main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I understand your argument, but at the same time, I sure as hell hope not.

I'd rather see the Jedi have a new enemy.

DarthMateous likes this.
  2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    No. Palpatine has returned on a couple of occasions via cloning, but not as a Force ghost. No Sith can return that way.

3. YODA the all powerful

YODA the all powerful Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Sorry, but I really hope not. Let's till some new soil in this one.

DarthMateous likes this.
  4. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    Snoozefest. I mean, he was a threat in the OT. We saw how much of a badass he was in PT. Then we cheered when we saw what he got coming for being arrogant.

His story is over in the movieverse. At this point, don't trust anything in the EU. If this is going to be an original story it could end up rewriting everything. Or maybe their will be borrowed ideas. Who knows.

My opinion is that his story is over, and to look past him at a much different and bigger kind of threat would be great. You could ramp up the dark side of things again in the future, as long as it isn't hung over our head like it was the WHOLE PT trilogy.

JainaSoloYJK and DarthMateous like this.
  5. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    Palpatine isn't coming back.

Angel Eyes and DarthMateous like this.
  6. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    Palpatine doesn't really need to make a direct appearance. In fact, if the movie's atmosphere is done right, the way the galaxy looks will be a direct result of his reign.
    We could have Luke searching the Emperor's chambers and to find all sorts of weird stuff, the presence of the Dark Side, menacing as ever, but not a direct apparition of Palpatine. Not even a Force Ghost.
    Just an eerie feeling that that's where the Emperor meditated and he most definitely left something behind. Strange noises, screams of the people he tortured. Approach with caution, because even if he is no more, the scars left behind by his presence can still be deadly.

Something along those lines.

7. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    An inflatable Twi'lek?

8. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    More like
    [​IMG]
    You can imagine why.

9. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I am largely a fan of the EU (mostly the novels, also the video games), but I have never been a fan of the idea of clones of Darth Sidious, that idea sounds too cheezy to me. I'm more open to the idea of some holocron made by Sidious (or perhaps Plagueis) falling into the hands of a fallen Jedi, or an as yet unknown Sith apprentice. The Rule of Two has always been more of a guideline than an actual rule, so it would not surprise me for a secret apprentice to emerge. That being said, it is highly likely that TPTB will choose to go in a different direction than to have a Sith be the big bad guy, especially after the "Chosen One" destroyed them at the end of the OT. If Sidious appears it will be via a holocron or a hologram, not as a clone.

10. Darth Stream

Darth Stream Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
    No - Darth Sidious is done and probably The Rule of Two also.
    If there will be a Sith (must be) it gonna be a tribe.

11. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Palpatine fell down a shaft. Darth Maul fell down a shaft after being chopped in half. If they can being back Maul, they can bring back Palps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    No. It would cheapen Darth Vader's redemption to bring the Emperor back.

But other than that it's a good idea.

It would also contradict Lord Darth Vader being the chosen one.

13. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    The Darkside of the Force is a sentinent entity. But can it give Sith Lords eternal life? Can Sith Lords and other Darksiders become ghosts?

So many plot holes and questions we all have. George Lucas should get an account on these forums.

14. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Hope not.
    Palpatine is done, that story is done, let's move on.
    I dunno why everyone just wants to see old characters come back...new stuff people, we need new stuff!

15. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002

I actually find it worse that Darth Maul came back in Clone Wars. He was literally cut in half and then fell down a bottomless pit. At least Palpatine went away in a blaze of light. Even though the Clone Wars are canon, If Maul comes back in the films it would be really awful.

I agree that it might cheapen Anakin's redemption if Palpatine came back, but about the chosen one thing, maybe it will turn out to not be Anakin all along.

It's not really that I want Palps to come back, I just believe that it's not out of the question.

16. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    The idea of Sith spirits seems to go back and forth. The EU has them; though the novelization has Qui-Gon say he's achieved a form of immortality that the Sith never will (or so I've heard; I've never read the novelization personally); Lucas then decided that he wanted two ancient Sith to appear as ghosts in an episode of TCW before ultimately changing his mind relatively late. Though I don't think we'll have a Palpatine ghost, I'm not so confident that I would wager on that. I can never tell with Lucas.

I don't want to see Palpatine in the flesh as a clone. I could live with Palpatine appearing as a ghost, though I'd still prefer not. Though I definitely think that the character has to have a significant impact on the shape of the galaxy in ST. I wouldn't want to see the films jump ahead to when everything's better and it's as if Palpatine's rule never happened. I'm not talking about seeing physical damage, but rather consequences of the government-Jedi relationship following the events of the PT and OT and how the government has changed to prevent the rise of another Palpatine-like personality.

17. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Yes but when you consider that Palpatine's body blew up when he fell to the bottom of the shaft, and that the Death Star also got destroyed later on, there's absolutely no chance. Darth Maul's survival, while still absurd, is more believable.

18. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Palpatine's return would completely undermine ROTJ and make the whole ST pointless, as it would be little more than an extension of ROTJ.
    In other words, bringing him back would be stupid.

"The Emperor you killed, gone he is... consumed by flames"
    /LM

InterestingLurker and K'Kruhk like this.
  19. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Palpatine's an awesome character, but I hope he doesn't return. It makes Anakin's sacrifice meaningless and the prophecy of The Chosen One moot. Come up with a cool and badass new villain that is just as magnificent and brilliant, maybe even moreso than his/her predecessor, like this guy:

[​IMG]

InterestingLurker likes this.
  20. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003

Only the bodies were clones in “Dark Empire”, It was Palpatines spirit that took a new body each time he died, so it wasn’t like it wasn’t the real Emperor. I thought it made sense as a continuation of the Darth Plaguies plotline, about living forever and all.

21. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Palpatine will return as a giant red-glowing eye on the topmost tower of the Imperial Palace.

DarthCeltic likes this.
  22. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    QFT

23. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    From what I understand, Sith can't return the way a Jedi can because it involves being selfless which is something they don't understand and cannot do.

I already saw his line to Luke as a provoking him into a fight with Vader. For Luke to attack the Emperor would be a hate filled thing for Luke to do, and Palpatine knew Vader would defend him. He wants the two to fight so he can make the winner and more powerful of hte two his apprentice. He doesn't want to die.

24. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    No thanks, let's have something refreshing.

25. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    People have already been saying and I totally agree, Palpatine coming back as the villain would totally nullify the OT and Vader's redemption/fulfilment of the prophecy. Forget Jar Jar, if you want to ruin your childhood bring Palps back...

I love the idea of some place where he left an imprint though, similar to the cave on Dagobah. Palpatine was such a powerful Sith Lord, he must have left behind some potent dark side energy somewhere. Maybe a certain part of the old Imperial Palace. Maybe a part of the training for Luke's new Jedi is to go to this place to confront the dark side there, as he did on Dagobah? We could see Luke's niece/nephew doing it. Would make for a chilling scene.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.