main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    That is true, yes, but my dislike is based purely on personal taste, without any "objective" arguments.
    I simply find them damn ugly :p

Immortiss likes this.
  2. Nenim Chela

Nenim Chela Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2013
    On the surface those slick Naboo fighters represent everything I believe SW not to be. At the end of the day, though, I like them if only because they're so damn quirky and weird (rain slicker-yellow???), which is true to SW in spirit, I guess. And, yes, though I hate to admit it, thematically they make a lot of sense.

Dra---, LunarMoth and Immortiss like this.
  3. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    What I love about the ship designs in the prequels is that there's a mix of the aesthetically beautiful, the Naboo, which harken back to classic designs of our own history (art deco) the functional and militaristic vehicles of the Republic, that foreshadow the lines of the Empire... and the very organic designs of the Trade Federation and Geonosians.

Immortiss and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I was disappointed Anakin didn't stick with the Naboo fighter throughout the trilogy just as Luke had the X-Wing. Beautiful design, and an icon of Star Wars for me despite having a big role in only one film.

Immortiss and Force Smuggler like this.
  5. Nenim Chela

Oct 2, 2013

They kind of kept the motif going with the yellow cab or whatever it was during the big chase sequence in AOTC and then the yellow Jedi fighter in ROTS.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I wish as well that there was a single starfighter used by the heroes in the PT with others popping up in the background. I was always engaged in the OT when the X-Wings and Tie-Fighters fought but the different ships for the good guys and the Droid ships did nothing for me. The Obi-Wan-Jango Fight was good though.

Nenim Chela likes this.
  7. Nenim Chela

Oct 2, 2013

Anakin's Jedi fighter was better than Luke's X-Wing, which always seemed a little over-rated to me (basically a jet with two extra wings), but I hear you. A lot of it also had to do with the CGI, no? (which, though it has its own appeal, was never as convincing as the models in the OT).

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I love the Eta-2 Interceptor the best but nothing can beat the X-Wing and the Tie-Fighter imo. The Naboo fighters are great imo. No problem with them. The Delta 7's are a bit bland imo.

9. Nenim Chela

Oct 2, 2013
    The Delta 7's are a bit bland imo.[/quote]

I keep forgetting that Obi-wan uses different fighters in AOTC and in ROTS. =P Yeah, I definitely prefer the Eta-2 modifications on the Delta 7's. The Delta 7's are nice, but the design feels a little forced to me.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I keep forgetting that Obi-wan uses different fighters in AOTC and in ROTS. =P Yeah, I definitely prefer the Eta-2 modifications on the Delta 7's. The Delta 7's are nice, but the design feels a little forced to me.[/quote]
    Starfighter rip-offs of the Star Destroyers? I don't know. I just don't care for them.

Nenim Chela likes this.
  11. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I think the point was to show the increasing militaristic progression of the Jedi/Republic... and to reflect the idea that these craft exist in the same universe (the Delta 7 resembling both a star destroyer and the A-Wings for example). My personal fave outside of the Naboo fighter was the Republic Gunship. They were realised very well IMHO. The Sith Infiltrator was pretty 'sexy' too. I think the ships of the OT are unarguably more iconic, but I've always thought that the designs of the prequels were actually on a par, if not better... and obviously very underrated.

P.S. there was much model work re. the ships in the prequels. It's not all CGI.

12. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    The baddie will be San Hill's daughter, who wants revenge on the Skywalkers for killing San.

13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I was thinking about the ability to Force ghost and Qui-Gon's cut dialogue seems to indicate that one has to completely let go of their physical self and accept death to retain their consciousness on becoming one with the Force. The Sith can't achieve this sort of inner peace because they're all about retaining their corporeal form and dominating the physical realm. Then I thought of our good friend Plagueis and how after being attacked by Sidious he at first attempts to fight off death by midi-chlorian manipulation but then suddenly seems to stop struggling. He's already an unusual Sith Lord to me because it's not all about dominating the galaxy to him but the Force itself so what if in his last moments when he's being electrocuted by Palpatine he realizes that the Sith are wrong and that physical domination is not the most powerful force in the galaxy and so he gives up his physical self, accepts his own death, and thus he is the first Sith ever to achieve spiritual immortality. He becomes a Force ghost and this gives him time to find a way back and gives him the ability to watch as his apprentice is destroyed by the Chosen One. Just a thought that occurred to me.

14. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    I think the baddie will be new, and more than likely a Sith or the leader of whatever opposing body comes from the old Imperial Empire.

I doubt Palpatine was cloned (sounds like an EU rumor lol) nor did any OT enemy live. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the villains was a descendant of the Fett family, since that's kind of what Star Wars is about (different generations from the same line).

15. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm not sure I want to see a Fett in this movie. I kinda feel like the prequels ruined that character.

Immortiss, Nenim Chela and kip73 like this.
  16. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    I'd have to agree with you. However, it is in the realm of possibility character-wise.

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    If Palps comes back as a clone, lazy storytelling. If he comes back by any other reason, meh.

Nenim Chela likes this.
  18. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm pretty sure he'll be back, but only as a Sith holocron.

Nenim Chela and Dra--- like this.
  19. Nenim Chela

Oct 2, 2013
    What if... the baddie in the new ones is Palpatine/Sidious's decoy? You know, the guy who had to take Sidious's calls, don the black cloak, and appear as a hologram when Palpatine was busy at some political function or other? [face_praying]

Darth_Articulate and Dra--- like this.
  20. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Darth Chiznuk

I like you idea; it sounds like a way to justify Plagueis' return while still confirming that he did indeed die. Although something about a Sith Lord achieving peace and accepting his death really bothers me; it is not the Sith way to accept death, and in doing so, he has embraced that tenet of the Jedi Code (incidentally, one that Palpatine agreed with): There is no death, there is the Force. But then again, if Plagueis could learn from his enemies and accept this, he would indeed be even more dangerous than ever...he has learned to overcome a weakness of the Sith way to achieve "true" immortality.

You mean like Palpatine's Senior Administrative Aide, Sly Moore? She was known to occasionally impersonate Sidious when communicating with his subordinates. Interestingly enough, she hasn't died in the EU, so it certainly wouldn't surprise me if she was still alive during the ST...

21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Circular Logic

Yeah it would definitely be against Sith behavior and something Palpatine would probably never consider but for some reason that just makes me like it even more for Darth Plagueis. He probably would never have intended to use the ability but when Palpatine forced his hand by trying to kill him he figured it would be the perfect loophole to escape the Chosen One prophecy. He dies knowing he'll be more powerful in death and that he'll be able to find a way back through his own research and unnatural practices. So he combines both Jedi and Sith teachings and becomes master of both worlds (physical realm and netherworld).

StoneRiver and Circular Logic like this.
  22. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    I wonder if they'll have holocrons in the ST.
    Darth Bane learned patience from the Jedi.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They won't have holocrons, but they will have candycorns.

Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  24. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Ever notice that Vader is strong on the outside but weak on the inside while Palpatine is weak on the outside but strong on the inside?

25. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Strange, I see it in completely the opposite way. Vader is weak on the outside, his breathing problems are plain to see. But he still carries himself with dignity and lives a life of duty, however misguided his beliefs may be. Palpatine on the other hand lets himself be controlled by greed and all kinds of petty emotions. Psychologically, he is like a petulant child that wants more and more icecream even when it already has eaten enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.