main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I think Plagueis' involvement in the ST could tie in with the saga nicely, if things are done right, that is. Especially if he had something to do with Anakin's birth, after all. Sure, Anakin might not have fulfilled the full prophecy (killing Sidious and himself and thus ending the reign of the Empire would still be considered pretty major, anyway), but it is possible that this misread prediction includes the descendants of the Chosen One and their contribution in it, too.

2. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    That might be interesting.

All of these questions surrounding Plagueis are old and have been answered over an over and yet people start complaining about too much talk of Plagueis.8-} We've talked of the Imperial Officer before. A minion at best. It reeks of Thrawn. It's lame. Palpatine and his former Master are far more interesting and integral to the plot.

3. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    My problem with that is that it kinda just screams "fanservice", bringing back the two Sith Lords that helped to reshape the galaxy in preparation for the Grand Plan. I think bringing back one of them could work out if executed well; after all, George Lucas is no stranger to resurrections after what happened with Darth Maul in TCW, and I thought they did a very good job with it. I'd much prefer it'd be Plagueis who learned to cheat death and return though, since he's still a relatively 'new' villain to the casual fan and movie audience, and if Palpatine were to show up at all, I hope it's only as a ghost or holocron projection; I'd rather they not rehash Dark Empire with all the clone body shenanigans again. Plus, after what Sidious did to Plagueis, no way would the latter trust his erstwhile apprentice; so I can't see them working together. If they did, they would have to make an extremely tenuous alliance that both have to think would benefit themselves, like toppling the heroes, before going free-for-all on each other at the end.

So rather than reviving the both of them, if we want both to appear in the ST, I'd prefer something along the lines of what Immortiss proposed, with a revived Plagueis pulling the strings, perhaps from the Netherworld, and a relatively powerless Sidious existing only as a disembodied spirit, seeking to find a way to return to corporeal form, rather than a villainous tag-team.

4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I would not dismiss out of hand a well-written and thought out Imperial officer in a major role. I know many here suffer of Thrawnophobia, but there are ways to make a military type character an interesting antagonist.

Dra---, T-R- and Darth_Pevra like this.
  5. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    I think that might be a very interesting story and even though I hope that IX is the end, if this trilogy (if, yeah right) does a $3 Billion + gross worldwide, then you know the ever talked about X, XI and XII won't be far behind. I don't believe they have a plan to end it, just the opposite.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

Fanservice, of various kinds, may be what's needed to make the ST stand out.

The tricky part, is how to avoid it looking like parody.

A ship vastly bigger and more intimidating-looking than the Executor- that may end up with the fans complaining "OTT"

Same might apply to a Sith Lord throwing around vastly more powerful things than Palpatine did.

It's a tricky line to walk.

7. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    No question about it, but former imperial officer who has a latent and recently discovered force ability at age 60/70?

Dra--- likes this.
  8. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    If it is Plagueis who created Anakin, then it's possible he created an apprentice or apprentices over the last thirty years, too. So many possibilities that could happen here. And it would be interesting to find out what he's been up to since his disappearance. Like someone had said here, maybe he was one of the major funders of the Rebellion?

Darkslayer, Darth Raiden and T-R- like this.
  9. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008

Sorry, I don't see it. It's just a lamer version of the TESB reveal.

What could be interesting is if he created another Sith and this Sith fights his destiny. But that doesn't really have anything to do with the main plot of the saga.

Plagueis is for many audience members a random Sith! You think they memorized who Plagueis was, a guy who didn't even show up on screen? I doubt they even know who Veers is or Sabe or any other unimportant side character.

A "random" Imperial is at least an Imperial. The audience has a general idea what an imperial officer is, you don't need to teach it to them.

10. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I actually agree with this sentiment, in a sense. Personally, I wouldn't mind fanservice if it served the plot well and they make a good story with it (see Maul in TCW). But like you said, it's a difficult line to walk, and there's a fine line between having a good story, that ties the rest of the trilogy together by bringing back some old foes, and just reviving an old nemesis for the sake of nostalgia (almost to the point of parody, as you've noted), perhaps because they realize they can never "one-up" Palpatine. And indeed, I too find it hard that some secret apprentice or completely new, out-of-the-blue Sith Lord can start throwing out much more powerful Force feats than Sidious ever pulled off on screen, at least not without some good and convincing explanation. Which is why I agree with those that think Plagueis as the ST's main villain makes sense, since he was the one who trained Sidious. If he started pulling off Force feats that dwarfs what Palpatine did in the films, I can buy that more than some new guy with minimal Sith training in the dark side of the Force.

Immortiss likes this.
  11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    What's wrong with a 70 year old villain? Magneto in the first X-movies was about 70. Saruman was also pretty old and imo the best part of LotR.

A 70 year old is also in the casting list.

Darkslayer, T-R- and The Hellhammer like this.
  12. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    There's nothing wrong with a seventy year old villain and stop implying. My problem is a Sith who is seventy, recently discovering his abilities or desire to be a Sith. Talk about a delay or lengthy latency period.8-}

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR and Dra--- like this.
  13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Dooku was around seventy or so when Sidious lured him to the Dark Side.

14. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Yes, but he was a Jedi, force user.

Circular Logic: Precisely the point. If Palpatine returns his character should be the opposite of what he was, powerless and pitiable. In stark contrast to his former self. Plagueis is a step up in the villain category. He is Sidious' Former Master and one who has cheated death. Besides, an appearance by Plagueis would not contradict the established narrative, that Anakin destroyed the Sith and brought Balance, since his 'unnatural' abilities allowed him to create a loophole in the prophecy. A powerful Palpatine would contradict the consequences of prophetic fulfillment. His ethereal existence wouldn't, however, as long as the consequences are presented (sad, pitiable, tormented).

Circular Logic and Dra--- like this.
  15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    And? I don't really get your point.

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    True. Still, during Palpatine's reign, many Force sensitives may have grown up without training- that is, assuming Palpatine didn't institute compulsory testing for everyone in the Empire.

Also, people outside the Empire, such as in Hutt-controlled territory, may grow up not knowing they have those powers.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  17. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    I see nothing wrong with someone discovering their powers at a later age, even if it's at 60 years old. Stranger things have happened in that universe and to be honest, I think we should loosen up a bit about these percieved "rules" what can and cannot happen in GFFA. Each movie added a new set of things that were possible, expanded upon the old conceptions and gave us new angles in which to view the old "rules."

If something seems impossible or highly unlikely from our current standpoint, there is nothing to say that the ST will make it possible and explain it in a satisfactory manner.

18. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Plagueis isn't a random Sith. Having said that, the audience has a general idea of what a Sith is, you dont need to teach them.

Nothing's wrong with a 70 year old villain. Just like nothing is wrong with a 60 year old main character. I'm looking at you Luke Skywalker.

[​IMG]

19. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    He is about as random as any Imperial. Again, audiences don't know any more about him than about Veers or Daine Jir. Even less because they never saw him, actually. We can safely assume that all these characters were forgotten. If you don't trust me just ask anyone who Plagueis or Daine Jir is.

20. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    No, but they will, when they see that Plagueis is the main antagonist of the ST and connect the dots when they rewatch ROTS again. And, how the hell are you going to throw in Sabe, when she wasn't even mentioned by name?

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Plagueis at least is described by Palpatine onscreen, whereas Daine Jir, while appearing onscreen, is never named.

"Did you ever hear of the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?"

Palpatine's delivery may make the name stick in the mind somewhat.

22. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Daine Jir is badass :p

Immortiss and Darth_Pevra like this.
  23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    That's for sure. I want to see the guy in rebels, maybe as Vader's "sidekick" of sort.

Immortiss and The Hellhammer like this.
  24. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Lol. Who the hell is Daine Jir?

T-R- likes this.
  25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Yes, he isn't named. I'd still think he is more memorable than a character who never appeared except for three lines of dialogue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.