main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't really think he will be either. It makes too much sense and if Lucas has taught me anything with the prequels it's that he lost a lot of his sense. I won't be too butthurt so long as somehow the new villains can almost rival the epicness of Vader/Sidious. I'm having a hard time envisioning how they're going to do that.

2. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Me too. I dont want to have blind faith in Lucas and Arndt but I'm trying to be a bit hopefult they'll have at least a decent villain. I'm just keeping my expectations realistic and not expecting any EU characters to show up *even Jaina I'm wondering about since they said its an original story so wouldn't that rule her out?*

3. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    First of all to the topic of a non-force user being the villan:
    Two words; Lex Luthor

And secondly, In responce to this quote
    "The people who think some fallen Jedi will be a threat to the galaxy don't understand Star Wars mythology in my opinion"
    You mean like Vader?

As to your questions
    I don't know what you mean by "topping" Vader and or palpatine
    And if I had my ideal, I would have the big-bad-guy a Tarkin-like character with a Force wielding minion.

V-2 likes this.
  4. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    They may achieve epicness by not trying to top them, as you say, but by simply trying to make a great SW film.

5. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    Lex Luthor is Superman. Star Wars isn't superman although in one of the books they made a lame mention of earth and Krypton. A non force using main villain is a bowl of microwaved poop. I wouldn't eat a bowl of microwaved poop. Even envisioning a microwaved bowl of poop as I type this is kinda making me sick. Bowl of microwaved poop. OK serious now... Vader was a Sith and Palpatine was so powerful because he was a top notch Sith master. The foundation of Star Wars is the mythology. Throwing in some Lex Luthor type character as the antagonist would fly in the face of the entire point of Star Wars. It wouldn't be Star wars. Again, Vader was a Sith and Sidious was a Sith. Bad guys in Star Wars are Sith. Good guys are Jedi. Welcome to Star Wars.

They should make the new GI JOE movies without COBRA or remake the Titanic film without the ship sinking or tell the story of the cold war without communists or deliver a pizza with an apple pie in the box instead. That'll show'em. Maybe Lucas will put woppie cushions in all the theater seats just to mess with us? I think putting in a Lex Luther antagonist would do the trick.

PANAKIN_Hightalker likes this.
  6. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    What made the Star Wars films so great? The friggin mythology. Why throw that out of the window?

the_sinister_hologram likes this.
  7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I'm pretty sure that did not happen.

Everyone's got a price.

8. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Wait, I'm getting lost in the mixed metaphors. Would you WATCH a bowl of poop for 2 hours? 3D optional.

Darth kRud and fishtailsam like this.
  9. run_luke_run

Feb 18, 2004
    I'm not sure that we see things so differently, kRud, as I certainly would not throw the mythology out of the window. I fully expect (and would want) the Sith to be the evil; I just don't want Plagueis, Vader, or Palps to be in these films.

Darth kRud likes this.
  10. DarthBlanco

DarthBlanco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I would like to see Lando allied with the bad guy(s), politically. He always seemed like a shifty fellow.

Does anyone think that the whole Chosen One mythology is missing the Resurrection?

PT was the immaculate conception and fall from grace.

OT conflict and redemption.

ST the resurrection.

Now I am not saying any particular Jedi or Sith but it would make sense in the scheme of things.

Darth kRud and V-2 like this.
  11. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    Plus, on the Lex Luthor thing....Luke or whatever Jedi fighting with some villain who isnt immersed in the dark side with huge force skills would totally take away from the whole Jedi thing as well. I'd almost hope the jedi would all die because what's the point if they can't even defeat some guy with a blaster and a fleet of star ships? Heck, may as well have no Jedi in the new films. Why even call it Star Wars, leave that in the prequels. That whole concept is kinda burned out. They need to come up with something new, use their imaginations for crying out loud. I like that StarShip troopers movie. Maybe bugs can invade the galaxy and the new hero of Star Wars, change the name to Star Invasion, can be Johnny Buck Rogers. In lieu of a light saber he can wield a backpack sprayer with insecticide. Like John Goodman in Arachnophobia. Heck, they could even get John Goodman to be the protagonist with the bugs as the antagonists? Then Admiral Thrawn can come in and just blow all of them up as a twist. He kinda looks like a bug. Blue skin and red eyes. Wait, they already had bugs in Attack of The Clones...can't use that idea. Have to be totally original here....as long as they don't have Jedi or Sith in the new films I'll be happy.

12. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    Thats cool. I'm not obsessed with any one Sith I just don't know how they're going to do it. All I can come up with is Plagueis, I'm just havin fun in this thread thinking about it all. What really bothers me are the no Sith people.....different Star Wars planet those ones are on...like men and women....Mars and Venus. I think they should be waterboarded until they confess that they're wrong. Get teh CIA on the case. This shiat is for real man. Serious business. I vote to ban them from anything Star Wars. I'm crying as i type this. Real tears. Hurt feelings. I like Sith.

run_luke_run likes this.
  13. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    These are things I have no answers for. Is teh bowl of poop the actual villain? Does it use the force? Can it talk? I only have more questions.

LawJedi likes this.
  14. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    [​IMG]

I ARE ADMIRAL THRAWN!!! HERE TO MAKE THE DESTROY OF YOU!!!! WITH SHOULDER MONKEY IN TOW!!!!

15. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I want the baddie to be something..........evil.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Couldn't have said it better myself!!

And Darth Vader killed Luke's father... and the Sith could not have returned without Mace Windu knowing... and Obi-wan was Yoda's apprentice....

Let me help you out:

CORRECTION: Palpatine thought he killed Plagueis, from his point of view

Palpatine: "How ironic... Plagueis could save others from death.... but not himself *snicker*"

The real trick is on Palpatine, it's Plagueis who gets the last laugh... :D

Why did Palpatine think he could kill his master, when Palpatine knew Plagueis could stop others from dying and even resurrect the dead?

Oh yeah... "your overconfidence is your weakness"

Exactly.

17. run_luke_run

Feb 18, 2004
    Sorry for quoting a directly above post, but it's only about this. Overconfidence was not Palpatine's weakness. It's a weakness of the Sith. All of them were overconfident, and in each case, it played a major role in their death and/or loss of 3 out of 4 limbs.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    For those of you pooh-poohing the idea of Plagueis as the villain, you'll probably end up begging for him to be in these new movies after what Disney and JJ Abrams introduce. Since neither JJ Abrams nor Disney have a creative bone in their body, expect the villain to be your standard pale, bald (or long white hair) guy with a black leather cloak. Basically, your standard sci-fi villain number 6,342:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sure, whoever the actor is might do a good job, but it won't be nearly as interesting as Maul, Vader, and Sidious were. An alien like Plagueis could be on par with those classic villains, but again, I have a feeling we're going to get just another bald guy as seen in the pictures above. Disney + JJ Abrams = piss-poor villain.

the_sinister_hologram likes this.
  19. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    How do you figure Maul isn't a standard scifi villain? He speaks about a dozen words, then just looks cool and twirls a stick. All the villains you picture have more character and motivation than Maul, even the guy from Dungeons And Dragons!

20. Force_Wielder

Force_Wielder Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    In the Episode III novel,there are talk of other people who are not Jedi nor Sith who have the power of the Force. Its mentioned briefly but I thought it was interesting. Some of those people could turn out to be bad guys who fight LUKE or whoever.

21. run_luke_run

Feb 18, 2004
    To each his own. I thought JJ's Trek was the best Trek ever made since the original. By far.

And yes, Maul has to be the most uninteresting villain in the entire series. He's only been made slightly more interesting through the novels and Clone Wars.

V-2 likes this.
  22. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    .........If there is a new villain then itll probably be from Lucas...Not JJ. I mean JJ isn't writing the script. If anyone is to blame for a bad villain in SW7.....it would be the writer *sorry Toy story man*. Calm down, guys.

Jedi Merkurian and V-2 like this.
  23. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    Maul is far more interesting, especially visually, because he's a walking devil archetype. I'm more referring to what the villain will look like, rather than the amount or quality of their lines. Vader and Maul are interesting to watch, unlike the villains that I posted photos of. Imagine if Maul was just Ray Park with a bald head and shaved eyebrows. People would have cared even less about Maul than they do now because there would be nothing imaginative about him whatsoever. With Vader it was a double whammy, because not only was he fascinating to watch, but he could back it up dramatically. With Episode VII, I'm afraid we're going to get a villain with an extremely boring appearance, and uninspired sci-fi baddie dialogue.

Poli-Sci Jedi likes this.
  24. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I'm shocked that so many think that it is possible for the villian in the ST to be anything or anyone who was not connected to the story as we know it in Ep I-VI.

The ST is not new Star Wars. It is a continuation of a single story. Granted, we all thought that single story ended with Return of the Jedi, but we now know that is not the case.

We don't know for sure when the ST became a serious thought for George Lucas, but my bet is that it was always a consideration, regardless of things that he has said publicly over the years since the PT. Clearly GL used the PT to set up possibilities for an ST. The insertion of young Anakin in the ROTJ DVD was no accident either.

So lets look at open doors from the PT:

1. Syfo-Dias (sp?) - To me, this was like the "I am your father" moment of the PT in the sense that it totaly took the audience by suprise. And then it didn't go anywhere.....Yet..?...? I think we will hear more about this in Ep VII at least in reference.
    2. The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise - Yes, this was a device for Palpatine to seduce Anakin, but it was also a hint as to Anakin's origins as well as a way to leave a Sith character on the table for later use. You can argue that he's dead, but his whole character revolves around NOT dying. I say that having not read the book and without any EU influence. Based soley on what is said in Ep III. This was Plagueis' thing. It's how he rolled......
    3. Young Anakin in ROTJ - We were all treated to new actors playing the young versions of Anakin and Obi-Wan for the PT as they took place years prior to the OT. If Anakin were to continue into the ST, as I suspect he will, obviously you can't use Sebastian Shaw as he passed away in 94. So how do you retain a familiar Anakin? You put PT Anakin in the ghost scene at the end of Jedi so that later it is seemless.

So who is the baddie?

It makes the most sense for it to be Plagueis for the above reason of him being related to the continuing story to the point that he in a sense instigated the whole thing.

25. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    [​IMG]

He looks menacing....as Sidious kneels before him and takes in the "Grand Plan".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.