main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Living planets are the wrong kind of camp for SW. Even in Marvel comics I always found them more weird than threatening.

2. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Agreed, except in the sense that all planets with life could be considered living themselves, but that isn't what we're talking about. One of the first EU novels I tried to read was Rogue Planet, and I gave up on it as soon as I realized the territory that the story was heading into.

3. I_Love_Scotch

I_Love_Scotch Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 2, 2013
    This thread is getting wacky. We need an official villain announcement.

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Exactly.

Also, I don't even think that the cave in TESB is actually a "domain of evil" and strong with the dark side, so I don't know how I would buy a whole planet being that way.

Dra--- likes this.
  5. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Agreed. Yoda may have used his power to create that vision & test for Luke. May be nothing special about the cave. What he told Luke about it may have only been true...from a certain point of view.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR and Dra--- like this.
  6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Exactly. Not to get too off-topic in this thread, but quoting myself from the "Cave" thread to further explain what I meant:

Dra--- and Darth_Downunder like this.
  7. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Yep that's how I've always regarded that scene.

Dra--- and EHT like this.
  8. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I tend to agree that the Cave is not necessarily a metaphysical local of the darkside, and I've argued before that it could be a psychological test created by Yoda. And I'm not sure what the recent Yoda arc did for or against this view since the Priestesses were behind most of Yoda's tests. We did see Yoda have some kind of darkside encounter in the Cave on TCW, but it's hard to say if that was because of the local itself, or the Priestesses.

One of the reasons I'm unsure about the Cave is that the independent reality of the darkside -- independent outside of the individual -- has not been confirmed by the films or TCW as far as I see. So right now I'm not yet comfortable with believing the reality of darkside locals in the GFFA -- although I'm fine with changing my mind if the ST or Rebels adds more to what we know. Even Moraband doesn't necessarily need to be read as strong in the darkside; the Priestesses claimed they were behind everything that took place there.

It doesn't seem impossible to me that the darkside exists independently in the GFFA, but if it does, that seems to suggest the Will of the Force is not singular and stable, but dual and split, hence unstable.

And having written that last part, phrases like the Balance of the Force pop up in my mind and I wonder if that phrase itself is evidence that Lucas views the darkside as an independent entity.

Regardless of all that, living planets just don't make good protagonists in my mind, and would work better in genres like bizarro fiction or weird tales.

9. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Cave or no cave:

1. How does one explain guardians of peace and justice turning into murderous psychopaths?

2. When Obi-Wan told Luke about Vader "betraying" Anakin, isn't "turned to evil" and "seduced by evil" redundant?

3. How does one explain yellow eyes?

Back to the cave, nowhere is Yoda shown to have the power to generate illusions nor is Luke ever shown to be on drugs.

10. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    p.s. Could someone create an image of a Muun version of Darth Sion? I'd imagine Plagueis being "alive" in the sense that Sion is "alive".

11. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Just google Darth Sion, a decomposing Muun you say... Interesting.

12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Just to clear something up, I've seen a lot of people around here refer to the villain as the "protagonist." The villains are actually "antagonists," while "protagonists" refers to the heroes.

Just something that was bugging me.

LunarMoth, plaidphoenix and Dra--- like this.
  13. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    All good questions. I think 1-3 can all be explained by the darkside having an existence inside individuals. That is, it does exist, but can only exist in beings that feel hate and anger. Rocks and non-consious objects don't feel emotions, so the darkside can't exist in them. The darkside even seems to be produced by or is synonymous with anger and hate.

We know Yoda can do mind tricks, so it's possible he also has the ability to cause Luke to hallucinate in the Cave. Or perhaps Luke has a vision in the Cave? Or it's even possible the Priestesses were testing Luke, and Yoda was helping.

We know the Force is generated by life, but we also know that the light and darkside are connected or even generated by particular emotional states. So if there was a darkside location, I think we'd need to have these conditions apply. I suppose a planet could be angry, but even typing that makes the whole scenario sound undesirable. :)

14. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I'm a fan of taking the magical mechanisms of a fantasy universe at face level.

purplerain likes this.
  15. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Me too.

Anyway, about Plagueis:

Unlike in Lord of the Rings, being the older/master Jedi/Sith doesn't make you the more powerful Jedi/Sith. Yoda, im 800s, was defeated by a 63-year-old.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Yoda wasn't defeated.

17. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    How come he fled then?

18. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

he was running out of time. He knew that he could not actually win the battle, and a bunch of clone troopers were coming that would make things that much harder

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  19. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Doesn't that kind of constitute a defeat if you don't kill your enemy and you run away out of concern for yourself getting killed? I'm not dissing Yoda, but he certainly didn't win and to call the fight a draw would be very generous, but that's me.

20. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    He "Aint" have time to fight a Sith allday. Knowledge to pass on :eek:

21. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    okay this is a quote from page 3

That's just the thing, I think Plagueis actually HAS BEEN DEAD during the years that marked the rise of the Chosen One. At the end of the Plagueis novel, right before he dies, he actually courted death and allowed Sidious to kill him. Why would he do this? I think he realized that Anakin was going to destroy the Sith, so he decided to one-up the prophecy by "dying" in a way that would allow him to come back once the Chosen One was out of the picture. I'm not quite sure how he achieved this, but if anyone was smart and powerful enough to do it, it was Plagueis. So I think he will either be resurrected or wake up somehow, and be very pleased to see that both Anakin and Sidious (who was becoming a rival) are dead, allowing him to re-implement the Grand Plan.

sorry i dont buy it. he will stay dead.

Darth_Pevra and Odolwa like this.
  22. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    Yes, I wouldn't mind Plagueis at all, but i cant really buy into him dying on purpose and then oh hey everyones dead, time to return to life.

23. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    In other words, he was defeated.

What I was trying to say is that older isn't better.

The Hellhammer and plaidphoenix like this.
  24. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    right. However Luke is more powerful now in the eu then he ever was when he was young. In Luke's case older is as lot better. Other characters like Obi Wan and Qui Gon were weaker when aging

25. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    All I'll say is that strength and weakness are very relative with regards to the Force.

1. Indigestion
    2. Semantics. He was "seduced" and that caused him to "turn."
    3. Jaundice.

Dra--- likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.