main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Doesn't need to focus on regular Joe, just show some more how he lives on the planets visited. For now we have seen very little of him/her. The OT focused on frontier worlds and offered some insight in backwater world life, the PT however mostly showed how rich people and Jedi live (exception probably the Gungans). Middle class planets/societies weren't really featured.

2. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    The saga was knocked for that when ROTJ introduced a second Death Star. Hence another reason why the PT felt so much different than the OT, as well. I'm sure JJ is aware of this, and I'm sure any who come after will try not copy the same ideas, which therefore would make the films too similar and unoriginal.

3. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Aha - so the usual 'if it's something you like then it has little to do with Lucas... but if it's something you don't like it's all Lucas' fault schtick?

4. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Word on the street is that
    This guy is the new Sith baddie​
    [​IMG]

With
    Grace Jones as Grand Admiral Thrawn
    [​IMG]

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I would actually trust George more now to craft an awesome villain for the ST than PT George. I think he was a tad rusty for the PT, and it showed in some of those areas we all talk to death. But by the time of ROTS and TCW, George, IMO, was firing on all (well, most) cylinders again, so I'm excited to see what the ST villain will be.

I love JJ too, and I don't think he'll have much to do with creating the ST villains.

BTW, that Kinberg video is awesome. He looks like he's holding a ton of info inside his head and he has to edit every single word he says and he might reveal something amazing. So lucky to be him and know all the secrets. :)

EDIT: What makes Darth Plagueis scary or distinct? Good question. I assume he has all the usual Sith powers of a Master Sith. In the novel he was able to manipulate the midichlorians to create life and heal his body. So he might be physically immortal.

But I've thought it would make sense to give him the power of death, too, if he has this power of life. He could use the midichlorians to cause a plague in someone, maybe fill their body up with cancerous boils until they die. That would be a horrifying power.

6. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    That was my impression as well. You can actually see him picking his words very, very carefully hah. Interesting times ahead.

7. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    No, I'm saying he's lost his mojo in recent years. What happened 35 years ago for me is not really telling how things will be done today.

plaidphoenix likes this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    rdhight Plagueis as mad scientist. Create armies of Force monsters.

9. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I can't think of a single contemporary villain, in a similar type film (sans Voldermort), that's had the same type of profile/popularity of PT villains let alone OT villains. We don't need to look at what happended 35 years ago to see that Lucas has a pretty good handle on what constitutes incredibly popular and memorable 'villains'. Nero from Star Trek? Malekith? Aldrich Killian? President Snow? Aro? I don't think so...

10. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    True, it is pretty awesome. It gets better with each viewing too :)

11. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I wonder if some aspects of Joruus might be of interest for creating an ST villain. I'm not into the cloning thing, but the insanity and mind control could make for an interesting villain.

Dra--- and DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR like this.
  12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I feel like there are a few more than Voldemort. Consider:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

El_Machete12, TKT, Dra--- and 4 others like this.
  13. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I love Star Wars and I didn't think I'd see another, so I'm just satisfied with the fact there are new adventures.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR and Dra--- like this.
  14. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To be continued

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
  16. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't think anyone can really consider the Joker a 'new' villain... same applies for Magneto, Green Goblin etc. These examples are NOT new creations. Lucas' Star Wars villains were created specifically for the films they featured in...

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Those adaptations maybe but the characters themselves are old. Very old.

Dra--- likes this.
  18. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

Yeah, I don't know what we are considering "contemporary" here, but even if we limit it just to post-ROTJ movies and leave out adaptations and true stories, there are plenty more villains out there from what I would count as "similar-type films." Barnes in Platoon, Mr. Smith in the Matrix, the T-800 and T-1000 from the Terminator movies, plenty of Quentin Tarantino villains, Bill the Butcher from Gangs of New York, the Predator, Commodus from Gladiator....

Don't get me wrong, Star Wars has brought us some great villains. But I don't know that Lucas stands above all others.

19. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Star Wars is an action/blockbuster type film... I think it has to be compared to similar type films and assessed alongside its contemporaries/peers. Of course Ray Parks performance in TPM isn't going to compare favourably to the performance of Heath Ledger in TDK... but that would be like comparing Tarkin/Jabba/Boba Fett to Michael Corleone, Freddy Krueger or Hannibal Lecter. Apples and oranges.

When comparing Star Wars villains to its contemporaries over the past 20 years... be it the new Star Trek films, POTC or superhero films that have incorporated relatively original villains (e.g. Killian in Iron Man 3), then I'd posit Star Wars villains have been more succesfull (in terms of marketing/commercial ventures and pure iconography), relative to its peers. Of course there are exceptions such as Voldermort... but they are really few and far between. I'd bet my bottom dollar that Maul and Grievous have featured in more comics, games and adorned more t-shirts than Magneto, Davy Jones or Lizard etc.Of course they are helped by featuring in Star Wars films... but Lucas has consistantly shown he's better at creating characters (not so much on actual 'chracterisation' perhaps) that appeal to mass audiences (sans perhaps JK Rowling).

20. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    I have to agree that in terms of iconography, Vader especially must be one of the all-time greats. He's like the evil equivalent of Mickey Mouse or Spider-Man.

Just as a recognizable icon and in terms of being exposed in games, comics, merchandise, etc., you might put the Xenomorph up against him, or Klingons as a race, but he's definitely in an elite club.

Dra--- and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  21. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    That pose she is in along with the pink dress...[face_laugh]

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I was waiting for someone to bring this up. Thank you.

Loki would be the oldest, of course. :)

Darth PJ and plaidphoenix like this.
  23. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    The only Star Wars movie villain who is not really that popular with the "wider audience" would probably be Grievous.

24. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    I found him and Dooku a little boring.

25. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    I liked Dooku because of Christopher Lee who is also the reason Dooku is more widely known than Grievous. The droid general was, in my view, a missed opportunity both in the movie and in TCW. In TCW even more so because he is absurdly inept and it's really stretching even the most generous suspensions of belief.

Odolwa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.