main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Yes they would.
    You can set him up in two sentences.
    "He was the Master of Darth Sidious/Emperor Palpatine. Everyone thought he was dead, apparently he's not."

"Knowing" who Plagueis is does not require them to read the novel or every single related book/comic. He's quite easy to set up.
    In fact, the same applies to any character/organization. Almost everything can be set up within a single scene, so that argument which often appears when existing villains are suggested (that the general audience wouldn't know them) really holds no water.

2. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Wouldn't the audience wonder where Plagueis was during the PT and the OT?
    I think they will just think: "they had to come up with a villain someway"

3. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Ralph Fiennes ;)
    He is one of my favourite actors!

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    His absence can also be explained in any way they see fit during that (or some other) scene.

And...they do have to come up with a villain someway :p

I personally highly doubt that the villain will be any existing character. Plagueis probably has the best chance of them all, but that's still a rather small chance hah. I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing something completely new.

That being said, Ralph Fiennes as Plagueis could be very nice indeed!

5. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    I am also convinced the new villain will be someone completely new.
    I think/hope if they bring a villain back, it will be General Veers or Mas Amedda.

6. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    I also fear as you do, there was a recent interview with Sam Witwer, who is the voice of Darth Maul in TCW.

When talking about the future plans for Darth Maul, Dave Filoni said "So we're probably going to kill this guy after a few more episodes, yeah?" and George Lucas responded "No. No, we're not. We made that mistake once before. We're not doing that again."

Filoni and Lucas were obviously talking about the future plans for Maul in TCW, and the interview wasn't about the ST but one can't help but wonder.

Here's the link to the interview - A Tale Of Two Mauls

7. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    That can be changed, besides there are several EU fans that haven't read any C-canon EU books, that's because they watch TCW (which is EU) or play video games (also EU).

So its not just the book readers who know that sith aren't the only darksiders, but TCW watchers as well.

And this assumption could be changed in Episode 7. Instead of having your usual 2 sith, i think having a group of dark jedi, allied together for a common goal, would be interesting.

Dark Forces 2 had something like that.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Seven_Dark_Jedi

8. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012

This argument keeps being made, but every time it fails to make sense to me. A brand new villain we have never heard of would also mean few people know who he is. The argument of saying you cannot have Plagueis as a villain because people wouldn't know him isn't an argument. Any villain they have in this trilogy is going to require explanation. People did not suddenly know who Darth Vader was at the beginning of A New Hope. We gradually learned about this compelling villain. We even get a whole new villain thrown into the mix with the emperor that we never see in the first film except for a simple mention. I think it is perfectly normal to not want Plagueis as the villain, but this argument is simply hypocritical since it would require being used for any villain they chose. I also find it rather ironic that in another post you recommend using Veers or Mas Amedda as the villain. Aside form the fact that they would be generally boring for the average viewer, people know as much about them as they do Plagueis for the most part.

And for the record, we can have Plagueis as a villain. Not saying we will, but it is certainly feasible. Right now your basic argument is it is impossible to have Plagueis as the villain because no one knows anything about him in the beginning fo the trilogy just like it would be for literally any other villain they choose unless it is Darth Vader or Palpatine. That logic simply cannot work without falling apart form the beginning.

9. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    Not to mention we had Dooku thrown at us with no backstory or explanation...and who was the Grievous guy again?

No explanation at all. Just..."here's a new bad guy".

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    So I'm watching The Phantom Menace and it has me thinking. We're introduced to Anakin as the Chosen One and told he is to bring balance to the Force. Supposedly he does this in ROTJ by destroying the Sith and the story should be over. But what if Plagueis' experiment that caused the Force to create Anakin actually succeeded and in the ST we're introduced to a being that is the antithesis of what Anakin Skywalker was supposed to be (and in the end became). Sort of the Anti-Chosen One. :p
    Plagueis could be guiding this figure from the netherworld and he could be building his forces in secret. The name I used is obviously silly (and would be stupid to include) but the concept intrigues me.

11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    False. The assumption given in the movies is that there's a sect of lightsiders called the Jedi and a two-person sect of darksiders called the Sith.

12. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Lucas doesn't make mistakes. What are you? Some sort of fanboy? ;)

13. Lord Optimus

Jul 30, 2011
    This could be fun, maybe Plagueis let Sidious kill him so he could watch from the netherworld as his creation wreaks havoc on the galaxy.

What if Plagueis manipulating things from the dark side netherworld is actually what is unbalancing the force. If he is the first and only Sith to become a force ghost, achieving something so powerful/infinite would be catastrophic, it would also explain why the prophecy is not yet fulfilled.

14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It could also lead up to Anakin and Luke traveling through the netherworld to defeat Plagueis while the new protagonist confronts his spawn. I have no idea how you would portray that battle in the netherworld (it would be kind of silly if they had lightsabers in the afterlife :p) but it would definitely be something we haven't seen before. I'm just so intrigued about what the netherworld of the Force looks like.

Lord Optimus likes this.
  15. Lord Optimus

Jul 30, 2011
    The netherworld of the force intrigues me as well, I agree they would have to find a different way to portray the battle or somehow make lightsabers relevant/believable in the afterlife.

Maybe there could be some lost souls in the dark side netherworld, minus Vader though.

[​IMG]

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  16. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    Maybe Plagueis will make our heroes choose the form of their destructor and he gets transformed into this...
    [​IMG]

17. Deejo

Deejo Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 22, 2010

18. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    bad ass pic of the day

19. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Most people who see the ST will have seen ALL of the other movies. I would go as far as to say that more people will be familiar with Ep. III than the OT. They will know who he is by referrence and whatever exposition they right to reveal/introduce him.

20. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    Gradually, starting to see the Plagueis angle as more plausible. Although, I prefer a new villain, It may be safer than developing a new villain and having him/her be completely underwhelming.

21. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    A lot of people have seen Episode III though. I'd much rather them go this route than introducing some new villain that doesn't have the caliber of Palpatine.

Super_Battle_Droid likes this.
  22. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    Palpatine is a hard act to follow. In fact, I do not think it can be done. Although, the idea of Palpatine's master returning would be interesting.

Super_Battle_Droid likes this.
  23. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    new avatar

24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I was thinking along those lines. Whithout Palps, what Sith other than Plagueis could be taken seriously?

25. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Bringing back dead characters isn't a great way to be taken seriously. It's lazy and cliche.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.