main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Yeah, even I wouldnt say that......

2. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I'm wondering....who claimed that Plagueis' absence in the ST would be tantamount to a plot hole? Just curious. I've never read that here.

To say 'In filmmaking there's no rule' for this or for that is agreeable enough, I suppose, although so general and lacking in specifics I'm left wondering the point of the statement. For instance, who is making these blanket categorical statements that "Everything must foreshadow something" and "Every character mentioned must appear"? You seem to enjoy setting up your own fallacious premise, attributed to nobody, in order to refute statements that are on the surface completely baseless. Why? Or, congratulations and well done.;)

I will say there exists within the SW storytelling style/framework a precedent found in the existing narrative and content. If one is looking seriously for some evidence to consider villain possibilities in the ST, the existing narrative style and content of the OT and PT is the best we've got, no? They are a guide with specific examples. Is there foreshadowing in SW? Is there precedent for named characters making an appearance later? Is there subtext? I can only speak for myself, but I believe all three exist in the series and Star Wars without these plot devices is not really Star Wars, it's something else. IF Plagueis were to appear in the ST it isn't because 'Every character mentioned needed to appear' or 'Everything needed to be foreshadowed by something else'. Only some characters and some things that are vital to the plot. Let's not be hyperbolic, folks.

EDIT: And the 'cult-like following' is more exaggeration and less understanding. Look, some are simply looking at the story and see what they see. For some, the name is irrelevant. It could have been Darth Ruin, Bane, Malgus or Jerry Lewis that Palps mentioned. I would still believe what I do about the possibility in the story.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Here's what I was referring to:

4. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Please, tell me more of Darth Jerry Lewis.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  6. plaidphoenix

Nov 6, 2013
    Three words I never thought I'd see you post.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    You better believe it pilgrim.

plaidphoenix likes this.
  8. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    So now the rumor is that D.Gleeson will be Luke's son who is the cyborg & presumably a villain. Makes more sense. Full bearded Luke as a cyborg never matched up.

9. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012

Problem... Gleeson is fully bearded as well, if I'm not mistaken on dates and photos.
    [​IMG]

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  10. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Hmm...[face_thinking]

Well then I don't know what the hell's going on.

Dra--- likes this.
  11. kwisatzh

kwisatzh Jedi Master star 4

Sep 30, 2014
    the beard could be a decoy!

12. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012

Hmm... we've got absolutely nothing on Oscar Isaac's character. Maybe he's the cyborg.

13. plaidphoenix

Nov 6, 2013
    I can see Gleeson as Luke's son, but something about it screams "too obvious". I like the idea of Driver as both the cyborg and Luke's son. This makes a certain degree of sense since it was announced/rumored when Driver signed on to EPVII that he might be playing a villain. Also, if this is the case and it turns out that Daisy is the heroine of the trilogy, as well as being Han and Leia's daughter, it maintains the conflict internal to the Skywalker/Solo family.

14. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Where did you hear that?

15. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Let's assume Gleeson is the cyborg. That means that either he shaved the beard during the necessary scenes, the beard is now part of the cyborg design, or the design has been changed such that the old photos are misleading us. His beard surely isn't as long as Hamill's, so maybe its possible it's not a huge problem to work around?

SO, Gleeson would be the main villain for 7 while Driver steps up in 8 and 9. Sounds cool to me.

Immortiss and plaidphoenix like this.
  16. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    I feel as if we're getting further and further from the truth, not closer to it.

17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm not sure we've ever been close.

18. LittleDefel

LittleDefel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 17, 2012
    Many think that the leaked cyborg art looks like a younger Luke. It's possible that in August 2013 (when the art was done) the artist was told to draw versions of a cyborg that have some resemblance to a younger Luke because the artist was told Luke's son will end up playing the cyborg.

Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  19. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    I think we have always been right....from a certain point of view

the_sinister_hologram likes this.
  20. Jerome83

Jerome83 Jedi Padawan

Apr 30, 2014

Hmmm. The Dark Side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is.

21. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    Wow that was a year ago...lol

22. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

True, but then again, Star Wars has never done that - a shocking reveal of the villain. A shocking reveal about the villain, yes, but not of.

If there is any truth to "a shocking reveal of the bad guy", I'd put money on it being not about the big bad himself, but rather another, unrelated threat. A conspiracy within the Alliance to destroy the Empire by any means, no matter the cost.

Or something.

LunarMoth likes this.
  23. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    ^^ THIS ^^

I'm warming to the idea of Luke adopting "the ends justifies the means" approach, but I don't think he is the 'big reveal' - it's been spoiled too much. No, this will be about an actress or actor we haven't heard about yet.

24. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

No , I don't see Luke having such an attitude. This is Star Wars, not 24 or James Bond.

In Star Wars the bad guys do bad things, the good guys do good things.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  25. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    That's very debatable. See TCW.

As for a conspiracy to destroy the Empire by any means within the Alliance; I think that's pretty guaranteed. The galaxy is in the midst of a Cold War and I doubt, at the end of EpIX, everybody is going to shake hands and sign a peace treaty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.