main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Summers1913

Summers1913 Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2014
    One of my favorite aspects of Star Wars are the reoccurring themes.

I really like the latest rumor about Han dying in a fight between Luke and Driver. I like it for several reasons. But what I like most is the reoccurring themes in this rumor.

Anakin had visions about Padme dying which caused him to eventually turn to the dark side to gain more power to save her. However his turning to the dark side actually caused her death. Would she have died otherwise?

Likewise with this rumor, Luke has a vision about Driver turning to the dark side and the pain he will cause. The action he takes causes Hans' death which leads Driver to the dark side. Would he have turned to the dark side otherwise?

I really like the parallel and hope this is the route the story is going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I miss when this thread was called "Whose The Baddie?"

3. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Liked it better when it was "Who's your Baddie, and what does he do?"

Six, DaddlerTheDalek and Toonimator like this.
  4. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I preferred "Who's the baddest mother****** in the Brooklyn town? And also representer of the Wu-Tang sound"

5. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Not to derail too much with the Luke talk here, but quickly: there's a difference between fans historical experience of a character and the in-universe plot and arc of the character(s). Just because fans have spent years thinking about Luke a certain way doesn't mean that there's anything illogical about Luke's arc shifting towards tragedy or darkness. There have been 30+ years of Luke's in-universe life that the fans have not yet experienced, and because of that gap, there's a distance between fan knowledge and Luke's narrative that makes it easy for people to sense some kind of discontinuity. Of course, it makes zero sense to talk of discontinuity when we don't know anything about the 30 year gap.

For me, this isn't a problem for the filmmakers, but something interesting to be exploited. I think it's fantastic that we'll open the ST with a Luke much different than the OT. That will only get people asking questions and wanting answers, which will be filled by TFA and probably new EU content.

Back to the thread topic: I'm actually hoping now that the villain comes from the Sky-Solo families, at least partially. For me Star Wars will always be a space fantasy family soap opera. It won't feel like Star Wars to me if there isn't a major family conflict of some kind. In the PT, the family conflict was between Anakin and Obi-Wan (brother figure), and Anakin and Padme, and even Anakin and Palpatine (father figure). The OT family conflict was obviously father vs. son, but also Luke's close friendships with Han and Leia (brother and sister) and Obi-Wan.

So our villainy should be closely wrapped up in family or family-ish relationships, imo, for it to have the kind of dramatic feeling we're used to.

6. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I personally think the villain being another Skywalker, who must be redeemed, would be a bit repetative and unoriginal. I'd like a bit more progression than that...

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Before ESB was released, the family conflict was Luke vs. the killer of his father, so we definitely don't need a villainous Skywalker for a personal rivalry.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  8. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    How about a Skywalker who can't be redeemed?

9. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    It's still family related yeah, but once again you're engaging in the fallacy of talking about ANH as though ESB and ROTJ didn't happen. It's nonsensical to try to pretend the story isn't the story.

The argument is that Star Wars is a family drama and it should remain so. Darth Vader was Luke's father, or do you honestly think most Star Wars fans sit around wondering who the killer of Luke's father was? [face_clown]

10. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    It's Luke vs himself since he killed his father.

Dra--- likes this.
  11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    My point wasn't about whether or not ESB and ROTJ happened. My point was that a family drama doesn't neccessarily mean people from the same family on opposite sides. If it makes you happy, replace my references to ANH with references to Harry Potter.

Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  12. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Just to be clear, I think we'll have at least two family related villains, one being an actual family member and another who is trying to manipulate the Sky-Solos.

darklordoftech: Is it enough to have a villain who assaults the family in a family drama? For sure. That's an essential of soap opera. But my own preference is to have both: someone within the family who is evil, or tempted to be evil, and the one from the outside who tries to shatter the family, like Palpatine.

13. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Who am I to argue with him? The ST is the Third Act in a recurring Three-act structure, the Resolution. The Resolution should come from what has come before, if it is to resolve naturally and organically.

14. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Yeah, I don't think Aristotle would be on the side of those who imagine the ST as being totally disconnected from the PT or OT.

Incidentally, Aristotle was a fan of starting in medias res, in the middle of things, so that also fits perfectly well with starting E7 off with a different take on Luke.

Aristotle's favorite play was Oedipus Rex, so he liked family drama too. Especially the kind where the past returns to cause catastrophe.

15. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Actual redemption is moot in this instance (IMHO). It's a Skywalker turning bad, and presumably, it would concern his family (or a family member) trying to turn him back. I feel that would be very predictable and unoriginal. I'm hoping the ST tries to create new situations rather than re-create different flavours of the previous... but that's just me.

16. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    I think that every single time I see this thread

17. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    I for one think it will just Jacen Solo

18. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Maybe the thread should be called Who is the baddie, & what does he do??

EDIT: Just saw this:
    Good call :)

HankSolo, dr strangelove, vin and 2 others like this.
  19. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013

Now I want the rza from Wu tang as Plagueis

Darth Dookacas and Mystery Roach like this.
  20. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I agree with your thoughts on this. We need a black & white villain that we can all hate (like Palpatine) & then one that brings emotion to the story. One that makes the heroes conflicted. "Emotion" was the first thing Abrams said he wanted to infuse into the story of the ST. I'm sure an element of this will involve friends or family pitted against each other for some reason.

21. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    So just like the OT and PT then?

Immortiss likes this.
  22. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    I think a good baddie would be Cade Bane

23. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    hopefully we get a glimpse of the baddie in the teaser trailer.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  24. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    A variation on a theme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mystery Roach likes this.
  25. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Indeed yes... but I personally think family member/friend going bad is too much of a cliche in SW now. They will always just be a flavour of Anakin/Vader.

darklordoftech likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.