main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Weren’t you sitting in the same room as the trailer the other day? Surely you should know that.

2. kwisatzh

kwisatzh Jedi Master star 4

Sep 30, 2014
  3. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    He's tripping over his own lies.

kwisatzh likes this.
  4. Enkei

Enkei Jedi Master star 1

Dec 4, 2003
    Didn't have enough time to read the almost 900 pages in this thread, but I believe the title refers to the villain(s). I think "The Force Awakens" is referring to some kind of old threat. Using the word "force" to describe an old army or specific enemy rather than the magical force itself.

So for example if the Sith were to return with a new army. "The Force (of evil) Awakens".

5. nisfor

nisfor Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2014
  6. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
  7. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I wish they would have released that game.

8. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    yeah i was and i couldn't open it until the 14th as i said so get you facts straight.

9. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    you are a complete idiot.

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Enough... everyone on both sides drop it, and enough name calling too.

11. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    We might a two second show & then disappear a tease would be great.

12. Grand Master Galen Marek

Jun 22, 2014
    Thanks for restoring order I thought this was gonna boil over.

13. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

bluemilkcheesypuffs77 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    What did I miss? Appears to have been a huge showdown? Anyone get banned? Any mention of a force ghost Padme? Or that cheque is actually a Jedi in hiding??

14. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

bluemilkcheesypuffs77 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
  15. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    No, it it was referring to a threat it would be more ominous.

Plus, "the Force" is always used when referencing the "the light side", eg. It it use "use the Force, Luke" not use the lightside of the Force and whereas the bad is always the referred to as the "Dark Side" and never as "the Force".

I think TFA is referring to a new Jedi discover his or her power. An individual, not a group.

16. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Hoggsquattle - not true, the darkside is referred to as "the force" several times as well...

In ROTS - Anakin tells Obi-Wan "Palpatine has shown me the true ways of the force"
    In ROTS - Palpatine tells Anakin just after Mace was killed... "To cheat death is a power only one has achieved through centuries of the study of the Force. But if we work together, I know we can discover the secret to eternal life"
    In ROTS - Palpatine at the opera said... "He was so powerful and so wise that he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life..."
    In ROTS - Anakin tells Mace that Palpatine is the Sith they've been looking for he only mentions the Darkside AFTER.... "He knows the ways of the Force. He's been trained to use the Dark Side."
    In ROTS - Palpatine does the same... "You have much wisdom, Anakin. But if I were to die, all the knowledge you seek about the true nature of the Force will be lost with me. Learn the power of the Dark Side, Anakin. The power to save Padmé."

So yes, the Dark side is referenced as "The Force" as well... just less often as there are less dark siders across the saga than light siders.

17. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    EviL_eLF

I stand corrected... a bit*. ;)

* I have a counter arguement knocking around in my head about those scenes but I can't seem to get my thoughts out. Brain melt. :p

In such a case, I recant that particular evidence to your superior wisdom :)

However, should the title be referencing a threat it would sound more ominous, eg. The Phantom Menace, The Empire Strikes Back, etc. "The Force Awakens" sounds benevolent.

And Star Wars titles are straight forward by nature and never have multiple meanings.

So The Force "awakening" is about one thing - the Force itself and not A force.

I'm certain it refers to the new central hero discovering the Jedi power within.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  18. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002

Except maybe Return of the Jedi which could reference Anakins lighted reversion or Lukes ascendance to Jedi status.

EviL_eLF and Hoggsquattle like this.
  19. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Yes, but I've always considered that they are the "Return" in question - Luke becomes a Jedi at the same time as Anakin's redemption, it is the same event.

20. Grand Master Galen Marek

Jun 22, 2014
    What did I miss.......hmmmm a lot Luke was always going to rise above the darkside he had no woman in his life at the time to influence him good thing though.

21. star wars geek

star wars geek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 20, 2014
    The villain could be...

Luke?
    Old Sith?
    New Sith?
    New villain?
    Luke/Leia/Han's children?

I think that covers all the possibilities. Well, there is evil ewoks too but let's not go there! :p

22. star wars geek

star wars geek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 20, 2014
    Interesting idea you put forward. :)

In my fan fiction screenplay (not finished) my idea was trace elements of the force are extracted from Luke. He was captured on his farm at the start of the movie. The force is extracted and implanted into the new villain and he is invested with the full power of the force. The new villain is not Sith nor Jedi but the third way. The title 'The Force Awakens' would sort of go with that idea. I doubt my idea will feature in the movie but your comment about an old threat awakening with the force sounds possible.

23. ArchStanton1862

ArchStanton1862 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2014
    I really don't think they'll go that route. In fact, I'm pretty certain of it.They've repurposed an English word to be the name for their magical powers. Confusing the issue by bringing other meanings of the term would create unnecessary incomprehension. I actually can't recall them using the word 'force' to mean anything but the Force in all of Star Wars. Feel free to correct me if that's wrong.

I think it's saying pretty much the same thing as Return of the Jedi, only in a vaguer and less comforting way. Force users are returning to the galaxy and possibly they are finding some new strength. If the rumors about Morriban are true then it may even be some ancient power returning. I hope they don't go too far in that direction since I really don't want the Jedi to become invulnerable figures that regular mortal powers can't even stand up to, but the basic idea isn't bad.

24. Enkei

Enkei Jedi Master star 1

Dec 4, 2003
    I was going over the original trilogy scripts which is what made me think of that. The script refers to the factions as the "Rebel Force" and "Imperial Force". Also correct me if I'm wrong but in Return of the Jedi, Darth Vader refers to them as the "Rebel Force" as does The Empire Strikes Back's opening crawl.

25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    From the SOTME story conference:

"We also wanted to have [in Star Wars] a scene where Vader goes and bows before the Force… But it’s not the Force personified; it’s on the verge… Maybe it’s a shadow or something… the ultimate evil."

"So he’s got the crystal but the crystal will only help him fight the Force, which is even bigger than Vader. It just gives him one more little weapon to use against the evil Force."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.