main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    2 all day. 3 might work somehow. I'd like to see a Mother Talzin/nightsisters and Darth Plagueis combo. The mad scientist and the witch teaming up to rebuild the sith order. Rebuild the sith academy on Korriban while the jedi order is rebuilt. The new trilogy could revolve around a sort of resetting of the two orders back to the size of old republic days. If 3 happens I'd still like to see the rebuilding of the sith order but Lucas better pull something off other than Darth Maul surviving somehow.

2. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    If you only new the power of my mommy...

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    That could be interesting.

4. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Fixed. :p Cast a rapper in the lead role.

5. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
  6. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    kickstarter time.

DEATHCONQUEROR likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I haven't read the entire thread but my thought from the locked archetype thread is this:

No archetype. I've seen them already. I want a unique villain who is that much more frightening and evil because he or she isn't an archetype--therefore, not only do the other characters not know how they're going to escape, the audience has no idea either.

DARTHSHAME, Darth Chiznuk and Jcuk like this.
  8. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Like the other films, I hope we have more than one villain, but I would love one of them to be female.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  9. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Male/female whatever? Just make them original and make them believable. No mystic, psuedo crap. :)

10. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    Agreed. Whoever the villain is has to have a plausible origin. They should be unique and hopefully have an angle that we have not encountered in Star Wars before. In fact, I would love to have a villain that actually has a cause that on the surface seems noble or laudable, but their methods are questionable. (Think Magneto in the X-men comics). I personally doubt we will see a female villain, because I suspect that the main protagonist will be female. Not to say we cannot have a female villain and heroine, it is just unlikely.

Jcuk likes this.
  11. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Force Ghost star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    I just think this bears repeating. Screw the villain up, and there's not much to watch, and while George apparently has a vision, we're all clueless when it comes to the threat that is going to move the story forward. From where I sit, I'm more excited about discovering who/what the evil is than anything else in this next trilogy.

darklordoftech and Jcuk like this.
  12. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    That doesn't work. Any good character starts from a "template". The difference between good and bad characters is only whether that template is changed and expanded upon.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't know whose rules you're quoting from, but I disagree. I think "templates" are unoriginal and often suck. If all good characters start from a "template," who gets to make the template?

14. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Those templates get made by everyone who has an active imagination. I can even give you a list:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage

Every single one of the SW movie chars is based on one or more templates. Take Anakin Skywalker for instance. He is easily categorized as "troubled hero".

Templates are important because it makes it easy for an audience to recognize and understand the core personality of a character. Of course, on top of that you can build so much more. You can invent contradictions, idiosyncrasies and so on. But you still start with a "template" or "archetype".

Note that even "boring standard hero" is a template.

Circular_Logic likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Cool. I'm sure Michael Arndt has an active imagination. So why can't he make his own "template"? Why does he need to borrow from that list?

And my point is that I don't want to "recognize and understand the core personality of a character" because I've seen the character before. The fact that I've seen the character before, would bore me quickly. I want something new, something that I don't recognize. I don't want to pay $15 plus popcorn to watch something that I recognize and have seen already; that's what my Blu-Ray player is for.

DARTHSHAME and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  16. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Because whatever you invent will most likely already exist in one form or other. We subconsciously follow certain templates. And it would be pretty stupid to not write a say "troubled hero" or "compassionate doctor" or "nice granny" just because that kind of thing has been written before. You can still give your character a very personal spin. I would say Han Solo and Anakin Skywalker are both troubled heroes for instance but they are notably very different persons.

Give me an example of any fictional character and I will be able to tell you on what it is based.

You are a fan of Anakin Skywalker. Guess what? He is also based on tropes and templates.

17. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    A female villian decked out in armor who is not revealed to be a female until the end? They could use early concept art of General Grievous as an example. (Could someone find me a picture?)

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Maybe, however...somebody has to have invented it, which means that it's not impossible to come up with something very original.

Also, assuming it's true that an invented character might have elements that existed in past characters, I'm not following how that leads to a rule that a character must follow a "template."

You're not really going to convince me that a story based on templates won't be incredibly boring. I find ANH to be the most boring of all the Star Wars movies, precisely because it's so obviously a story that has been done before and it's simplistic. The "bad guys" are so obvious that they're dressed the same way. The "good guys" other than Han and to some extent Leia are one-dimensional and boring. The storyline has been done before: the farm boy and the smuggler rescue the princess and overcome the evil Empire.

I want something new and original. And the idea that new and original means bad...well, that's mind-blowing, and I'm glad that creators of new and original stories never thought that way. Otherwise we'd be telling the same story over and over again since the time people told stories around campfires, and we all would have gone illiterate years ago out of sheer boredom.

19. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Usually new templates are invented through changing around other templates.

There's only so many different variations of human base personality traits (example extraversion-introversion).

Huh? Do you try to misunderstand me on purpose? When you invent a character, you start with an outline, a "template". Then you start developing your character and that's hard (but fun) work.

Say your starting point is "evil granny".
    Then you ask yourself questions:
    Why is she evil?
    How is she evil?
    What happened in her life to make her evil?
    What inner conflicts does she have?
    And so on. The more you work on your granny (and the more interested you are in her), the more interesting she will become.

Wow. Now I am insulted. You obviously don't know jack **** about the creative process yet you yap around.

I say it again: Name me some fictional character. It doesn't matter who you name, I can give you a category for him/her/it.

20. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I think Darth_Pevra does have a point. You might think that you have made an original character archetype, but you can be almost 100% certain that archetype has existed in some form or template when you strip it down to its bare bones. It's simply human nature to create characters that are in some way relatable or else evoke some other sort of emotional response. Tvtropes pretty much contains an exhaustive list detailing all the kinds of character archetypes that exist in any work of fiction. Any character from any work of fiction can be classified into at least one of these types, even if they possess vastly different personality traits from others in that classification.

On the subject of villains, you can probably classify the villain as either Lawful Evil, Neutral Evil, or Chaotic Evil, unless you have a more Neutral anti-hero/villain-type character. The villain can range anywhere from a Well-Intentioned Extremist or Knight Templar who believes that s/he has good intentions to a completely unrelatable Eldritch Abomination who strikes terror into the heart of any sentient being.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL really? Seven billion people on the planet and we all have only so many personalities?

As much as I think the Myers-Briggs test is interesting, I think the idea that humans can be divided into 16 distinct categories is either pathetic or laughable, depending on how you look at it.

We could take 20 people who are extroverted and still have 20 very different people. It doesn't matter if they're all extroverted.

But...

I think if this is the direction that you're going to take the conversation, it's over.

22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    And I was talking about "base personality", not all the idiosyncrasies and whatnot. What do you think the term "outline" means?

Well, seeing as how I am a professional writer I don't take it well if anyone implies I'm not inventive. I work damn hard on my characters and I love them dearly.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Um, I haven't read your books, and I can't read German. How can I have a conversation about your particular characters?

You came at me when I made a statement that is strictly a matter of opinion and taste and told me that I was "wrong," and I'm supposed to just so "Oh, OK" and salute because you write professionally?

24. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    No, but I didn't get the impression you were trying to understand what I was saying.

Plus it isn't a matter of taste. From my point of view it is simply fact that every character follows one or more templates. I think I tried to explain why this is so, in fact, why it must be so, but so far you mostly ignored the reasons I've given.

25. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Because there are some universal likes and dislikes throughout humanity. Archetypes have been around for thousands of years for a reason........they work and people like them.

Doesn't mean you can't put some original twists or turns on them but every villain and their "type" has already been written. We've merely been rebooting the greek classics since.

George Lucas talked about this once in Wired magazine. He was a big researcher of emotional intelligence. He found that our emotional connection to these ancient stories was so strong that they haven't changed fundamentally in thousands of years. They've simply been retold and tweaked since their inception.
    And he also found that our emotional needs haven't changed much over those millennia. That's why those stories still persist. They fill a want.

That's why a movie like Avatar, a film with hardly an original story, can still make a billion bucks. We can't get enough of those classic stories.

Circular_Logic and Darth_Pevra like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.