main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I don't think the MW rumors require a full on history lesson in Sithology in order to have some accuracy.

I think what we will get is just enough Sithstory as we need to propel the storyline of the ST, just as we got in the PT.

The PT gave us exactly what we needed for the story, mostly in passing exposition, so that we would have a simple understanding of what was going on.

PT Sith History:
    1. The Sith were thought to be extinct
    2. Rule of Two
    3. The Sith had ruled the galaxy at some point in the past.
    4. There was this guy, a Sith, who was tinkering with immortality.

Basically, this is all we needed to understand who and what Sidious and Maul were, and how the Jedi reacted to them.

What I see the ST doing is using just enough Sithstory to create an understanding, both in universe and for the audience, as to how and why the Sith are able to return.

Beyond that, I'm sure a more detailed timeline will be filled in by other film and non-film canon material.

plaidphoenix, Immortiss and TK327 like this.
  2. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    From a storytelling point of view, it makes much more sense for there to be a revelation that Palpatine didn't actually manage to kill his master, meaning that there is still an incredibly powerful Sith in the galaxy, than it would for the Sith to just kind of come back, despite the line having stopped with Darth Sidious.

While it might be seen as a bit of a betrayal of the series to suddenly have Palpatine not be the biggest threat, for the sequel trilogy to work, they do have to somehow raise the bar - there is no drama in the new baddies being weaker than the old ones. It'd take a brave or stupid writer to ignore the potential inherent in having the previous antagonist having already name dropped a powerful Sith, who claimed to have the power to cheat death (but apparently died before passing it on to his apprentice)

That's why I'm firmly in the camp of hoping it is Plagueis - not from any attachment to the character as portrayed in the novel (I'm ambivalent about that book - it was alright, but didn't do much for me) but as the only logical way to introduce an antagonist who is equal to Palpatine, without cheapening the manner in which someone could gain so much power

Assembler, Michaea, LunarMoth and 3 others like this.
  3. Shadojoker

Shadojoker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    Smart alek (thats you plaidphoenix ).He could have killed Yoda/Obiwan YEARS ago as he was behind the scenes, planning strategy during the prequel era. Chess not checkers. Sith lord right next to Yoda and he didn't know it. Luke he wanted as an apprentice Never dead until this part..

[​IMG]

but Vader took care of that. Kenobi was never a threat to him. Come on man.. even Yoda knew Sidious would eat Kenobi alive.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Yoda couldn't even beat Sidious. It took Vader turning on him and probably catching him off guard to do him in.

5. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Yoda threw in the towel far too early. And just when the duel that I was most looking forward to in Sith was getting interesting! *dejected sigh*

Michaea likes this.
  6. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    You haven't seen anything, yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Eh, Yoda only failed because of the terrain. Had their places been reversed, the backlash of Yoda repelling Sidious' lightning would've knocked Yoda back into a Senate pod, and Sidious would've wound up falling to the floor far, far below... Yoda's small, he survived the fall with little difficulty, but most of the fight drained out of him... Sidious may not have been so lucky! :p

8. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    The idea of Plagueis waiting a number of decades, working on this 'awakening' of the Force, is quite an exciting one. Maybe he even had to 'die' to achieve it, knowing he would return later?

9. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    He's Rumplestiltskin. He took a very long nap. He'll think "My how a lot has changed" and wonder where that little bastard, Sidious, is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. I_Love_Scotch

I_Love_Scotch Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 2, 2013
    I think folks are finally starting to realize that Plagueis is indeed the archvillain of the saga. After all, in the treatments, Palpatine was the archvillain not to appear until the 12th installment. With Palpatine dead, Plagueis is sure to be the one to fill the void. After all, what a better way to top the great Darth Sidious and not undermine the sacrifice of Anakin Skywalker...especially if Plagueis turns out to be the one responsible for the lineage. You may be able to destroy the Sith, but to destroy your maker who happens to be a Sith and hides in the darkness while you fulfill your destiny...well, that requires something supernatural to conquer. Throw a divided galaxy, a couple of superweapons and a galaxy hero turned hermit into the mix...you have one hell of a story. A story that could simply be legendary and worthy of the Star Wars name.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Revenge of the Sith Special Edition: "It's over, Master Yoda. I have the high ground".

12. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

He could just stand right next to him and say that.

13. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
    I still have this nagging feeling (even though I know I'm dead wrong and its fun to toss another name into the ring) that the Arch Villain is The Inquisitor. Have a feeling and just can't shake it.

Especially now that we know that the second season of Rebels has been moved up 4 months ahead of schedule and will debut at Celebration. Why the incredible hurry to get season 2 ending just before the release of The Force Awakens. Sounds like a perfect tie in, hand over to me. Lord knows he would have plenty of motive hunting down Luke for revenge of his Masters death. Moreover since he technically isn't a Sith his non sided remarks about "There has been an awakening, the dark side and the the light." sort of makes sense. He talks of both sides and not siding with one.

Maybe Kanan or Ezra kicks his butt something serious and left for dead. He licks his wounds in time and gets Adam Driver as his apprentice.

[​IMG]

MODified: Broke the hotlink in the pic.

Iron_lord and darklordoftech like this.
  14. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    The first thing that leaders look at when fighting battles is how to use the terrain to there advantage. Looks like Sidious was as good a tactician as he was a strategic genius.

Iron_lord and darklordoftech like this.
  15. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Where do you get the idea that Season 2's been moved up 4 months? They're premiering Season 2's first episode at Celebration, as a preview. None of the stories I've read about it mention Season 2 starting early.

LunarMoth likes this.
  16. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
    So they are going to preview the first episode of season two, then wait till October for everyone else to see it? o_O. I believe I heard it from the Star Wars Report Podcast. I could be incorrect on that though.

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

"It's over Yoda, I have the high ground!"
    "Underestimate my power, you do."

:D

darklordoftech and Michaea like this.
  18. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

bluemilkcheesypuffs77 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Do you think maybe chewie will have to take on plageuis? If we're talking high ground, chewie will be taller no matter what! Would he wear Jedi robes though???

19. Turinsd00m

Turinsd00m Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    I still can't shake the return of Palpatine. For a few reasons:

1. I like to tie as much into the prophesy regarding the chosen one as possible. I also like to view it as being completely fulfilled at the end of RotJ. That means no more Sith hiding somewhere in the galaxy. That means to me that some previous Sith has to find a way to return from death after the events of RotJ. Otherwise, you just have some Dark Jedi who may like the Sith but could never receive the full proper training of having a living master. Granted, Luke didn't have that luxury for very long, but we all know what he wasn't a direct threat to Palps at the end of RotJ. It would be hard to see a new Dark Jedi being a threat to Luke after Luke has had 30 years to grow in the Force. Some big bad has to return and in my mind Palps was the one who had the most tools, knowledge, and motivation to get it done. His master had succeeded at cheating death, but Palps killed him and no doubt took a great deal of knowledge from him.

2. A Sith's hunger for power and domination is never satisfied. I believe that by the end Palps' lust was greater than most other Sith because he was the only Sith who had a chosen one around him. I can't see any true Sith working next to Vader for so long and only being concerned with controlling him. It would never be enough for Palps to just try to use the chosen one and figure out a way to make sure he doesn't get killed by him( as is the Sith way ), the only thing that would feed his hunger for power would be to BECOME him. To be born of the Force like Vader was, and have all the same potential. That would be Palps' ultimate goal, far more important to him than crushing some rebellion.

I think that Palps, armed with whatever knowledge about cheating death he learned from his master, and his knowledge of cloning technology, finally unlocks the powers of his master in secret. He learns how his master's experiments caused the creation of the Chosen One and plots to make that work for him. He allows himself to be used as bait in RotJ knowing that if he failed there his plans to be born of the Force would act as a back-up. He dies and things are set in motion to bring him back, but it doesn't happen right away. It does; however, cause an unnatural rend in the Force which over time diminishes any remaining force users' ability to use the Force. Luke, Leia, and any potential Jedi that might have grown in power since RotJ are stopped cold. Perhaps a master like Luke can still feel the force slightly and still communicate with lost Jedi, but he can't wield the force like he should. Force ghosts on both sides can still communicate though, and Palps uses this to keep his plain on track. He commands his pet Force-stripped Darth Maul( who we last see in Palpatine's clutches at the end of TCW ) to kidnap the Solo's children in an effort to minimize resistance against him when he finally returns. Kylo and Rey are both the Solo's children, only Maul fails to get away with both of them... losing Rey in the outer rim where she is finally sold into slavery until she is purchased by Cleigg Lars.

Not knowing the truth, Leia blames the Empire and throws herself into Politics to make things right and Han runs away to scour the galaxy looking for his kids. Luke goes into exile seeking answers behind all of this as well. Palps spirit teaches Kylo about the Dark Side, telling him that the day will come when he will be able to wield it. Then, when Palps is finally reborn at the beginning of TFA, the unnatural rend is set right and the Force awakens. Palps still needs to grow, and cloning technology helps speed this along, but that's why we won't see him come on the scene until the later films. For now, Kylo is sent out on a quest to wipe out any and all force users before they can grow to be a threat. He is new at wielding the Force, but Palps has laid a solid foundation that will give him and edge over other Force users. We get to see several characters who never felt the Force before suddenly try to deal with it, as Luke rushes to save them and ensure more don't fall to the Darkside. The odds are against him, but it seems that he is getting help from some mysterious unknown force user, who we later on learn is Ahsoka Tano.

This helps paint a picture of desperation across the galaxy far greater than one that just involves the Force shifting or stepping up a notch. It accounts for why the Rebellion/Republic hasn't stopped the imperial threat( if they had Luke and his trainees on their side and the Empire had no force users it seems like there would be some sort of peace after 30 years ). It also allows for JJ to show fans what happened to some very involved characters from the other films and TCW. Not that I'm a huge Ahsoka fan, but she grew on me as TCW went on, she was a total bad-ass when she was fleeing capture on Coruscant because of false accusations, and I love the idea of someone who walked away from everything prior to the purge finally coming back when she is needed the most.

It's all speculation, but it's all still fun!!!

LANDO_ROCKS and Iron_lord like this.
  20. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I just can't see it. Much as it's easy to get into real detailed specifics and back stories, the reality is that the period between 6 and 7 will only be filled in with broad strokes, and anything that is examined more closely will be because it is necessary to tell the story needed to be told in the film.
    For me, the simplest way of telling a continuing story without undermining what we've seen so far, or getting too convoluted, is by going with the idea that Palpatine is dead, as we saw, but that the master he thought he'd killed, was not killed after all. The opera scene in ROTS is an absolute gift to a filmmaker making a sequel trilogy.

It'd actually be quite ironic if Lucas managed to foreshadow a baddie who was used by another filmmaker a decade later, when he didn't even flesh out the prequel stories enough in advance where he could name or show Dooku or Grievous in episodes 1 or 2 (which in the case of Dooku, would have strengthened episode one and episode 2)

Assembler likes this.
  21. Turinsd00m

Dec 9, 2014
    I guess my mind just works the opposite way. From a film makers perspective it seems more grounded to say "the bad guy you have seen be devious and cunning for 6 movies that you thought was dead, actually isn't, and it's all part of his plan to become the most potentially powerful Sith ever" than it is to say "the bad guy mentioned in a scene in Ep. 3 that you heard was dead, actually isn't and he has been waiting around for about 50 years to make his move". I'm not trying to negate the Opera scene, that's one of my favorites from the prequels; however, I believe that all of that was set up to lure Anakin in, not just so he could use him to conquer the galaxy, but so he could study him closely( knowing he was born of the Force ).

LANDO_ROCKS likes this.
  22. Luke the Oneironaut

Luke the Oneironaut Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 2, 2014
    Well, Yoda failed because it was his (film canon) destiny. Lucas willed it.

Otherwise, what happens...you pop in Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi and the Emperor starts disappearing...Marty! Marty! We've got to fix the hyperdrive! What the hell am I even

Toonimator likes this.
  23. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I disagree - it's quite a cop out to ruin the ending of Return Of The Jedi compłetely in order to bring back a villain. On the other hand, the idea of a villain waiting around to make his move is something I like

24. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    Both sound lame in that context but I think the Plageuis return sounds creeper, also we have seen enough of Palpatine lets have a new villain one that does over arc into the saga as a whole.

25. Turinsd00m

Dec 9, 2014
    I don't see this ruining the end of RotJ, I see it improving it. I never liked how Palps went out. Don't get me wrong, I loved how Luke chose to lay down his own life rather than hurt his father. But Vader just picking up Palps and tossing him over the edge is far too easy. Especially after seeing Luke take the plunge himself and still survive. Even Maul took that trip after being cut in half lol. I can't remember any other Sith or Dark Jedi pulling off the glowing blue explosion that occurred with Palps death as well.

Anyway, as I stated in the beginning of my post, I have a strong desire to see that Anakin fulfilled the prophesy. Believing that Palps' master was still around would mean that Anakin hadn't destroyed the all the Sith and returned balance to the Force. And I really, really like the thought of Palps perverting the prophesy's fulfillment in a way that causes it to set back the light side users for a while. Again, all just speculation for fun. I would enjoy seeing Plagueis in the films as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.