main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002

Agreed, it gets into muddy territory, Luceno is a stickler for including obscure EU references and Plagueis is full of 'em. Making that book canon just opens the way for another dozen books and so on. Better that they've kept it vague enough in Tarkin that he can use some broad strokes from his book without it being beholden to the minutiae of it.

Dra--- and darklordoftech like this.
  2. J.J.Abrams

J.J.Abrams Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2014
    Oh you'll see..

Darth Lurker likes this.
  3. S73

S73 Jedi Master

Dec 21, 2014
    How bout the Darkside manifests itself into an actual being since it has no Sith outlet to the physical world any longer? It can roam in & out of the spiritual / physical realm.

It can also summon any Sith from the past as needed. Would be really cool IMO if in the interest of "balance" with the force, that Jedi's past periodically drift from spiritual to physical as well. This could develop into a showdown of several Jedi/ Sith's from the past. Maybe even an ultimate showdown of Anakin battling his own alter ego of the past Darth Vader.

IMO that would be pretty cool.

4. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    It depends. If, as I believe, George Lucas provided the über villain in the treatments he sold to Disney, then I can see the retention of much that has already been provided.

Palpatine's feeling's after murdering his master:

Was this 'all too easy'?
    Plagueis's feelings after killing his master Darth Tenebrous:

Plagueis actually discussed the transfer of power with his dying master Tenebrous:
    With regard to claims that Palpatine was unpredictable and Plagueis didn't understand that kind of flattery.

There are other examples of Plagueis's non-emotional response to compliments from Sidious. It's a strange quote form J. Luceno since Plagueis is portrayed as unaffected by flattery, from Palpatine and from Gardulla the Hutt. In fact, it is explained that Plagueis had a disdain for humans because they're emotional. A fatal flaw in the species. Something he detects and manipulates in Palpatine. Palpatine is quite predictable if you consider that he committed patricide, matricide and fratricide. Hell, being a Sith, Plagueis could count on Sidious to attack him at some point. Plagueis encouraged Sidious to murder his father. Plagueis also tasked Sidious with killing his former mentor, Vidar Kim, so that Sidious himself could take his place as the Senator of Naboo. Another father figure. Of course, Plagueis was a father figure to Sidious.

Sidious supposedly murdered Plagueis with Sith lightening, however:

I don't recall this happening to Sidious, excepting through his own lightening.

Furthermore, it has the power to physically transform the victim.

In regards to Darth Plagueis and immortality:

On Plagueis's unwillingness to take others into his confidence:
    And Sidious saying:
    Of course this is all LEGENDS EU - "Did you ever hear the 'LEGENDS' of Darth Plagueis the Wise?"

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    There were several time jumps in the novel; a lot of time was covered. We didn't see everything that took place. This may have happened "off screen" ( perhaps "off page" would be more accurate ). At the end of the novel, does it seem like he isn't summoning and using lightning properly?

6. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    I like the idea of a sort of demonically possessive Dark Side. It's a bit out there, but workable. Kylo Ren could be in communication with the Dark Side and allow himself to become possessed by it, thus allowing a relatively inexperienced force user to pose a threat to an old Jedi master.Not saying it will happen, but I could see it.

I'm not sure having dead Sith/Jedi re-corporealize is so good. I think that would basically allow them to have infinite lives and limitless power, two things which, while kinda cool, ultimately lower the stakes.

plaidphoenix likes this.
  7. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Wait....was that the real JJ Abrams?

8. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I am Lord Voldemort!

9. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    I don't think so he would not have time to post & direct oh wait shooting has finished so I doubt it. Could you imagine the posting storm if he revealed he was real we would have a crash right here

dlbates likes this.
  10. Spy Vs Dog

Spy Vs Dog Jedi Master star 3

Jan 25, 2004

The Sith may well be completely extinct. I imagine given a long enough history you'd see different dark side factions with different ideologies emerge and die out over time. If people being born with the force is a natural, unstoppable thing (seems to be) and can be hidden or overlooked to some extent (we've seen examples of this) then it seems likely that some would discover and develop powers in isolation.

From the movies you don't learn all that much about the Sith. A lot is inferred or written about elsewhere, or explained by Jedi, but aside from being nasty people they all seemed to have somewhat different motivations in the movies. It's possible that Palpatine's aspirations were more a reflection of his particular goals rather than the entire Sith order.

Likewise, we left off with Luke being the last Jedi. Given the apparent philosophical differences between Jedi in the past, you might find Luke's take somewhat of a departure than the stuffy traditional way.

Grilled Hutt likes this.
  11. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    That may be true, but I'd imagine that they will all broadly fall under the Sith or Jedi umbrella. The selfless and natural against the selfish and unnatural...

dlbates, Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  12. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I'm not a fan of a personified darkside. It would lack any interesting human motive completely. At best you get some sort of demonic Id-like character, but we've seen demons too often. The Son was a semi-successful attempt at this sort of thing as they made him somewhat interesting by making him a son/brother, but even that was all too impersonal because too general and allegorical. "This time the villain is ... Evil!" And people say they want something new?

I hope whatever this entity is some kind of ex-Sith at least. Plagueis still interests me most of our possible options because of his possible ties to the Skywalkers.

Immortiss likes this.
  13. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014

[face_clown]

14. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    Well it looks like we are getting a pretty good look at our baddie in the leaked photo of the 6 inch action figures up on theforce.net.
    His helmet looks awesome and I like the texture of his suit.

One thing I did notice is that both Finn and Rey have trigger hands and potential lightsaber hands.

15. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I think that leaked photo is simply a sand trooper and not a main character. You gotta have a basic trooper figure. What it does show is definitely a Middle Eastern influence on the costume which is cool.

I don't see that being Ren though. The Ren one will remain a mystery.

16. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't think that's a sand trooper. Looks like the dude in the trailer to me....

17. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    But the dude in the trailer was pretty much a silhouette seen from the back.

18. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
    And was wearing a hooded cloak with smooth texture. Not a ribbed for her pleasure texture like the toy. Can't say they're not the same character, just not the same outfit.

19. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I don't know how you can tell that from the teaser. You can't make out any textures in that shot (imo).

20. thisguyisnotajedi

thisguyisnotajedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2014
    Pretty sure that's Ren from the front. Doesnt really look like stormtrooper armor.

21. Royale w/ Codeine

May 19, 2014
    HD footage. HD pictures. HD gifs. Picture of the SWU pic that appears to match the trailer to the T, outside of being able to see the face. It looks very similar to Darth Maul & Luke's ROTJ garb.

22. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Can you post links to the pics?

23. Royale w/ Codeine

May 19, 2014
    Here's a more illuminated view of Ren. While the costume is too dark to make out full detail, it's enough to see there isn't a ribbed texture to the extent of the figure.

[​IMG]

24. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Thanks. Cut looks the same and I wouldn't want to rule out any textures based on that pic and a toy pic. It may be overstated in the toy. Belt looks about right too.

EDIT - then again, does the uni cut look right? I dunno...

Maybe Kylo Ren has different looks in the film.

25. Royale w/ Codeine

May 19, 2014
    It could look completely different after they paint & add the cloth to the figures. Also, I noticed Chewie has both his arms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.