main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Palpatine and Sidious have awfully similar faces and voices.

2. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    If he wears black he is a bad guy. Get it right or pay the price (get called a farthead on these boards).

3. Cartoon Boba

Cartoon Boba Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 30, 2014
    Tell that to Luke in 'Jedi'.

4. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    True. But you get my point that sometimes you can take things at face value, sometimes you can't. Just because someone hasn't been introduced as Darth So and So doesn't mean they don't already have the title or obtain it at some point it in the future. For all we know there's been a massive misdirect going on by JJ and KK and Rey is really the baddie/Sith. Doubtful, but it's fun to speculate until the movie is actually released.

5. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    Yes. Literal Poster. That was the point.

6. Cartoon Boba

Cartoon Boba Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 30, 2014
    What do you want, a Smiley?

7. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    It's of course easier to see that in hindsight and seems obvious now. At the time it wasn't so clear, especially as clones/brothes etc. played into speculation too.

Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  8. JJRosso

JJRosso Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    Are you serious? It was obvious at the first shot with the Trade Federation

Turinsd00m and Satipo like this.
  9. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    My girlfriend had never seen Star Wars, and tends to miss important plot points and stuff that need explaining later. We watched the saga chronologically, with her knowing nothing about it at all, and from the minute that Senator Palpatine was talking via hologram to Naboo, she was like "uh - is that the same guy who is bossing the trade federation? So he's playing both sides"

There are enough winks that Palpatine is evil in the phantom menace anyway - it's not set up as a twist for people going in cold. Or at least not entirely.

10. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah, I thought Palps = Sidious was obvious from the trailer. Not sure who wasn't fooled.

11. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    It was pretty darn obvious.

Satipo and SgtTimBob like this.
  12. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    Wait. Palpatine is Sidious?? Mind = blown.

13. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Yes indeed Sidious is the ultimate baddie.

14. PCCViking

PCCViking 5X Wacky Wednesday & 4x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Even if it wasn't obvious from The Phantom Menace about Palpatine being Sidious, there was additional evidence in Attack of the Clones: a comment Palpatine made to Anakin being very similar to a comment made by Dooku against Yoda.

15. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Very interesting podcast from the guys of MSW guys. They talk about the whole Kylo Ren stuff that has been surfacing.

16. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    And?

Darth PJ: I dig the idea that Ren might be knighted a Sith at some point. Maybe the end of 7 or that's his whole arc.

Darth PJ likes this.
  17. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    No exclusive info, they discussed the latest Kylo Ren reports, the leaked mask, the leaked toys, the comment how spot on seem to be Mizzlewump rumors, and about LukeĀ“s role as the new Obi-Wan. They reafirm in the whole Vader mask as well btw.

Dra--- likes this.
  18. Salacious Crumbs

Salacious Crumbs Jedi Padawan

Sep 25, 2014
    I posted this in another thread, but in terms of reconciling the villainous Kylo Ren with the pilot photo, I remember a rumor that there's a big space bottle at the beginning where Ren plays a significant role. Maybe he is injured in the battle, leading to some kind of Vaderesque transformation?

Dra--- likes this.
  19. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Yeah my wife is pretty oblivious when it comes to noticing things and it took the whole episode 1 to figure it out. When they are burning Qui Gon, Yoda said always two there are and Mace said which one was killed the master or Apprentice. The camera pans right to Palpatine, and wife was like oh s&@t that's the master.

20. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Save us from stating the bleedin' obvious. YES, we all knew that Palpatine was the Emperor and that McDiarmid was the actor playing both parts, but we didn't know how it would play out. You didn't too (unless you're George Lucas). I was here and elsewhere during the 'early days' and no one was 100% sure how it would play out... regardles of how obvious it seems now.

Andy Wylde and Dra--- like this.
  21. JJRosso

JJRosso Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    Hey, not tryin to argue but, Bleedin obvious? You said you didn't know, even though it was obvious. Clones? Brothers? I guess you read too many rumours instead of just watchin the movie. If Han doesn't die in Ep7 you will say it wasn't obvious that Han wouldn't die, just because of a rumour going round before the movie or that it wasn't obvious Plaguies wasn't the bad guy, even if hes not in the movie at all.

22. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    As I recall, there were a lot, quite possibly the majority, of people on here back then, who said from the start that there wouldnt be any twist for the audience about Palpatine/Sidious, and that a significant part of the drama of the PT was about the Jedi being unaware of the truth that the audience were party to.
    Clones/brothers was only speculated on by people who were making wild stabs in the dark and over complicating things, as well as misunderstanding the themes that informed the PT - there was never any supporting evidence, either runoured, or reasonable interpretations of spoilers or spy reports that ever gave credence to it.
    The only aspect that there was ever any real doubt about, was whether Palpatines facial disfigurement was his true face, or whether he genuinely was disfigured by Mace Windu in ROTS

23. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    I think the "clone/brother" nonsense was just dreamed up by folks trying to predict the "No, I am your father" reveal of the PT, because so many were convinced there would be such a reveal in the films.

darklordoftech likes this.
  24. nld3

nld3 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    People that weren't major fans had no clue.

25. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    The last shot in the funeral scene makes it pretty clear that Palpatine and Sidious are one and the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.