main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Qui-Gon can't manifest his body, only his voice. He failed to pass one of the Priestesses' tests. Watch S6 of TCW.

Maybe they'll let him retest? I don't know.

Immortiss and plaidphoenix like this.
  2. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    “Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter.” The Empire Strikes Back
    [​IMG]
    Dave Filoni, supervising director of Star Wars: The Clone Wars and executive producer of Star Wars Rebels, spoke to StarWars.com about the Sith. He said, “There’s such a big fear of death because they try to hold onto life. And I think that’s why they’re willing to basically mutilate themselves and live these cybernetic half-human lives.” Yoda’s lesson with this quote reflects the exact opposite of this mentality, and it’s essential to the saga. It speaks to the underlying difference between Jedi and Sith: being completely selfless, and recognizing that the Force binds all life and creation together.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I was under the impression that he hadn't gotten a chance to take that test yet when Maul killed him.
    Nope. It's manipulating the midichlorians that's evil.

4. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    He only encounters the Priestesses after death. I'd like to know which test he failed. Perhaps encountering his darkside like Yoda?

plaidphoenix likes this.
  5. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Once again Thank you COJ.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  6. hartman89

hartman89 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2014
    Those are, again, two DIFFERENT abilities. I hope Plagueis isn't in the ST, but would rather see that than some of the relative theories I've been reading...

7. Colossus of Rhodes

Colossus of Rhodes Jedi Padawan star 1

May 5, 2014

diabolical ones. :) the main villainess from Body Heat would eat Sideous for breakfast lol

in Bodyguard was more a generic/blockbuster villain thought.

8. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    Because he didn't write the script for Star Trek.

9. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I'd be willing to bet he failed the test on Moraband. I don't think he could come to terms with the fact that Anakin would all but destroy the Jedi before destroying the Sith.

It's the Yoda quote from TESB, Always in motion is the future. What Qui-Gon saw and what actually happened were two totally different things. This is why I think that if the rumors are true that Luke has gone into some kind of self-imposed exile, it's going to come back and bite him on the ass. What actually comes to pass is going to be far more painful then what he thought might happen.

Philosoraptor, LunarMoth and Dra--- like this.
  10. Colossus of Rhodes

Colossus of Rhodes Jedi Padawan star 1

May 5, 2014

11. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    On the other hand, JJ's are not. Both Nero and Khan could kick ass, and he even had Philip Seymour Hoffman get into a brawl with Tom Cruise.

12. hartman89

hartman89 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2014
    I am really excited to see who is going to be the biggest baddie in the ST, and how it'll play out...

13. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    It's been a while since I watched the lost missions. Is the inference that Qui-Gon only learnt how to retain his identity after he was killed? I would have thought that, like Obi-Wan and Yoda, it's something he would have had do prior to death?

14. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014

Anakin also learned it after death with the help of Yoda/Obi-Wan as you can see in ROTJ. ;)

Flapjack4 likes this.
  15. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I swear Filoni said in a Q&A that Anakin learned it (or fragments of it) before his death and turn to the dark side. I'll have to go and rewatch it, but I'm pretty sure that's what he said.

16. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    So basically someone else has to try and pave over the holes in Lucas's writing yet again.

17. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    This isn't to do with Lucas' writing per se... but how it was explained in TCWC.

18. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Maybe he just gets a Chosen One free pass

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    My understanding based on what we see in the movies, which I don't think was overwritten by what we see in TCW, was as follows:

Qui-Gon discovered the secret of "retaining your identity upon becoming one with the Force" after he died. The fact that it was after he died meant that it was too late for him to ever have an actual Force ghost, but he was able to achieve having a voice through the Force that others could hear. He then used that to commune with Yoda, and later Obi-Wan, and he taught them the secrets that he had learned. Because they hadn't died yet, they were able to use that knowledge to obtain a true Force ghost immediately upon dying and becoming one with the Force. Anakin, on the other hand, had already turned to the dark side by the time they learned that ability, so he was never privy to this knowledge. Thus, he was completely surprised when Obi-Wan's body disappeared after he struck him down in their duel on the Death Star; he had never seen anyone (including other Jedi who died) do this. But he himself was able to do it later because he was the Chosen One and because Obi-Wan and Yoda were there to "assist" him when he died.

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    How do you know?

The problem with this notion is that it creates a massive plot hole. What is so special about Qui-Gon that he discovers this after death while all the other dead Jedi do not? Or to put it another way, how does one retain their identity after already having lost it?

I think in Anakin's case he was kind of in a gray area where he had just physically died ( or was about to die ) but Yoda & Ben had a limited window of time ( to use the words of Ryder Windham, "before consciousness fades" ) during which they were able to help him.

21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I see what you're saying, but I'm not sure what other explanations the movies or TCW offer for this part.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Isn't it obvious? Qui Gon is the Chosen One.

23. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    It doesn't create a plot hole. The Priestesses seek Qui-Gon out upon his death, from what I recall from TCW. He's more in touch with the Living Force is the suggestion.

I recall Qui-Gon saying he didn't pass his trials.

However, all this is from my busy memory, so I'll try to rewatch soon to be sure.

Either way, one of the main points is that Qui-Gon isn't fully embodied. Before or after death, whatever. That makes it unlikely he's returning embodied in the ST. But not impossible.

plaidphoenix and EHT like this.
  24. Lord Gaos

Lord Gaos Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 24, 2014
    I never really saw any of TCW episodes with Qui-Gon in it so this opinion is based strictly on what I gleaned from the movies. The way I always looked at it was, based on some of the lines and conversations that Qui-Gon had with Obi-Wan in TPM, Qui-Gon seemed to be at odds with Yoda and the Council on a lot of matters. It made me think that when he contacts Yoda from beyond in RotS that maybe Qui-Gon had a more "proper" or "old-school" connection to the Force than most of the other Jedi at that point in the Jedi's history. One of the big over-arching themes in the prequels was that the Jedi had become rigid and lost their way, so to speak, being somewhat blind to the fact that the dark-side was ascending etc. It seemed to me that Qui-Gon maybe wasn't as rigid or as lost as the rest, hence his disagreements and ultimately, his ability to retain his consciousness. Did any of that make sense?

EHT likes this.
  25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't recall that from TCW, but I haven't watched Season 6 since it came out. Maybe Qui-Gon went to the midichlorian planet at some point?

That was certainly an assumption made by post-TPM EU, by perhaps blowing Qui-Gon's dialogue in the film a little out of proportion (IMO). But I thought that TCW, by contrast, emphasized that a connection with the Cosmic Force was important to ghosting. This was presumably why the Father of the Mortis arc ( who symbolized the Cosmic Force ) disappeared upon death.

Dra--- likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.