main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's the Hero?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Archimage, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    I hadn't thought of it that way, but it certainly could fit. If he was created by Plagueis ;) .

Dra--- and Immortiss like this.
  2. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Yes, Han Solo will be back.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    But he already fulfilled his arc. Hell, every single main character from the OT has fulfilled their arc.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Luke still has to "Pass on what you have learned" though.

Echo-07 likes this.
  5. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Maybe he already did. Maybe he will pass on, period.

6. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    This thread was created to talk about the new heroes. Please leave the Big Three talk to the dozens of other threads created for it. I know its easier to talk about characters already existing, but the new heroes will probably play a more important role and deserve more attention than they get right now.

Dra--- and Darth Archimage like this.
  7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe he'll pass on.....some gas.

Darkslayer likes this.
  8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'd like a wise-cracking rogue who shoots first, loves his ship, and wears cool vests. Maybe they could call him Horn Single.

The Hellhammer, Echo-07 and Dra--- like this.
  9. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    A hot chick who shoots first and asks questions later - but also is very force sensitive due to her mother.

She has a liking for some dude at the New Republic Academy who joins her and her cousin on a new adventure.

The NEW 3 are joined by their parents Han, Leia, and Luke including Chewbacca and the droids R2D2 and C3PO.

Darkslayer and Nenim Chela like this.
  10. Nenim Chela

Nenim Chela Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2013
    Luke secretly had a child with... let's say Mara Jade, for now. He did it out of love, she did it to produce a god. Surprise, surprise, they produce a baby girl (or boy) who cannot wield the Force at all. Disgusted, Mara disowns the child and Luke goes off to Tattoine to live in disgrace. (It'll be more complicated than this.) Meanwhile, the Solos adopt the child, who along with the audience, doesn't know her/his true heritage until the end of Episode VII. The Solos plan to marry the adopted child--now a princess or a prince, off to an old world, aristocratic family (yep) that happens to be the main political rival of both the Solos and The New Republic... The child has different plans, though. Without getting too much into plot, the protag spends much of her/his time trying to live up to the Skywalker name and obviously plays a prominent but unlikely role in the proceedings. Trust me, this could work. =)

11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I'd love to see the heroes have a Thor/Loki type rivalry. I really enjoy it in those movies, I think it would work perfect in Star Wars - each competing to be favored by their father/uncle (Luke) who saved the galaxy.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  12. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    That's what we all thought until Oct last year.........

:D

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Which is why I'm beginning to think the ST should be set hundreds of years after ROTJ.

14. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Highlighted your ideas I like the most. I think Darth Vader has to have some relevance to our new protagonists, if they're his grandchildren.

Imagine if you're grandpa was Jesus-Hitler, destroyer of the Jedi and Republic, yet also it's savior? That would have to create some ambivalent feelings about your family line.

We should also distinguish between thinking of the hero and thinking of the protagonist. The two don't need to be the same thing. Anakin was the protagonist of AOTC and ROTS, but not the hero. Obi-Wan was the main hero.

I don't really want a dark protagonist though, this time around, especially if it's to be the final trilogy of this Saga. I imagine the new Skywalker's response to their family lineage would be overcompensation. They'll all be trying really hard to fix every problem in the universe to make up for the slight on their family name. But the question is: what kind of arc would come out of this? Can it be relevant to our times?

I imagine the children of Luke might have a different response to their lineage than Leia and Han. Luke has found some peace in regard to Vader, and I think he might pass that onto his offspring. But Leia and Han have no good reason to forgive Vader, so I imagine their children will be embarrassed by their family history and they'll be the ones to overcompensate.

So we have a couple of protagonist options here now that help us to perceive a character arc. Leia and Han's children are likely reckless while Luke's is fairly passive, or even a pacifist like his father. This could work in a co-protagonist structure where basically the two extremes help each other to become more like the other in order to achieve some mutual external goals. Either they end up balancing each other, or maybe they even begin to occupy the other's position: the rebel becomes passive and the pacifist becomes reckless.

Possible problems to avoid: We probably don't want a Han Jr., a Luke Jr., or a Leia Jr. Then the kids become the Big 3 in all but name. Maybe it's enough to switch the genders around for some new effects; or maybe we have to make the kids totally different from their parents? I'm not sure about this yet, personally.

So for now, here's my idea:

Luke's son is a lot like him, but unlike Luke, he's been a pacifist his whole life, and only uses the Force defensively to save people. So, similar to Luke, but less aggressive.

Han and Leia's daughter is sort of a mix between the two, but also a trained Jedi. She's a politically savvy scoundrelette who pushes the limits of the lightside of the force to get things done. She's a type A personality, and she's often reckless and over-aggressive because it's important for her to improve the family reputation.

So the threat they would have to face in a co-protagonist structure would be one that challenges both of their weak points, but for different reasons. The daughter's aggressive attitude wouldn't work against this villain, nor would the son's passive attitude. She would have to slow down a bit and think more while he would have to speed up and act.

That's all I've got so far.

15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    You bring up very good points, Dra. The new protagonists must be distinct from the old ones and that includes Anakin Skywalker.

You already brought up some interesting possibilities. The son of Luke you are describing might act that way because he secretly distrusts the gifts he is given and is afraid the DS could awaken in him were he to actively fight. Or it may be that he is naturally not interested in becoming a Jedi and only learns to be one because of a sense of duty (Wouldn't you feel pressured to become a hero in a family of heroes? I know I would).

The aggressive daughter might love the thrill of fighting, the adrenaline that is rushing through her veins in a fight. But of course for a Jedi this is a serious flaw.

What we should also take into account is the time the children are raised. Lets say the galaxy is now peaceful. The new heroes might not understand the necessity to learn lightsaber katas. Maybe one of them prefers to study philosophy and politics instead of the art of lightsaber combat.
    Leia was an action heroine despite being a senator. But we could easily have a protagonist that is the "geek" of the group, someone not proficient in fighting and/or actively using the force in a family full of warriors/force users.

16. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    I love the adoption idea. Two of my three children are adopted and though I don't normally like to distinguish between the three, I'm in favor capable parents helping out children in need.
    Perhaps the Force won't allow anymore Skywalker children and all the Skywalker / Solo children are adopted?

17. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013
    I kinda like the of potentially pitting the Skywalker's and Solo's against each other.

If we have 1 child from each family with the ability to use the Force, having one ultimately (by Episode IX) turn to the Darkside, we could have a situation that potentially mirrors the Obi-wan/Anakin and Luke/Vader conflicts in the PT and OT were family ties played roles in the fighting, rather then it being simply good vs evil.

18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Love the idea of an adopted child. It would also yield a lot of plot opportunities.

19. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    They should throw a curve ball and have Lando's kid as the only new generation member who is related to the original heroes.

StoneRiver and Darkslayer like this.
  20. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Chewbacca's force using love child with a rodian. Now that's a hero right there.

LunarMoth likes this.
  21. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013

Well, we know Lucas adopted three children and now has one biological child, if I recall correctly. An adoption would make the story a bit personal for Lucas. Something to relate to as a writer, which I think is a strength in Lucas and any writer for that matter. Write about what you know. It could also bring Star Wars back to OT themes of aspiration and destiny. Your future is what YOU make of it. It is not all about genes, but hard work, belief, faith, determination and grit. Building on your talent and fulfilling your potential. You know, what Lucas went through in the seventies in order to get Star Wars off the ground.

And if Luke S. is Lucas' alter ego, then perhaps a theme in the ST is mortality/immortality. In a 60 Minutes interview, late last Spring, Lucas was discussing his dedication to art and the museum he was opening to house his collection and share with the public. He was asked about his legacy. He said that he has requested that his tombstone read, 'George Lucas, the Creator of Star Wars'. Apparently the subject is on his mind.

I think Lucas identifies with these themes and would be excellent material to include in the ST.

22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

23. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    All of the above. Star Wars is an ensemble and the new generation will also be an ensemble made up of Luke and Leia's children, as well as their allies/friends/sidekicks. I expect the Solo/Skywalker offspring to be force users although Luke's probably moreso than the Solos. It would actually be cool if the Solo kid was force sensitive but not training to be a Jedi. Also, I wouldn't be surprised of Chewie was tasked to guard the Solo child.

I don't expect them to. In fact IMO I think the first two episodes of the new trilogy will be dark in that the villains will win, leaving cliffhangers and tragedies at the end of each of 7 & 8. Only at the end of 9 will things take an up-turn, while also setting up episodes 10-12.

Immortiss and Darth Archimage like this.
  24. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003

[​IMG]

Echo-07, Dra--- and Darth_Pevra like this.
  25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    If we get a Skywalker and Solo feud it should be like Hatfield's vs. McCoy's.

Dra--- likes this.