Who's the saga's Least Evil Villain?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jamiebacca, Jan 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whatisthybidding Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'd say Jango. I know we're not talking bounty hunters, but Jango seems to be more of a mercenary than a simple tracker. As far as real villains, I'd go with Piett. He just seems like he's trying to do his job, maintain order, supress a terroristic uprising, and make it through the day without getting strangled to death by Vader.
  2. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    You do know the proper meaning of terrorism usually involves striking civilian targets, not legitimate military ones, right?
  3. sith_rising Force Ghost

star 4
    I think he means, looking through the eyes of an Imperial Officer.
  4. Darth-Erevos Jedi Master

star 1
    For answering this question someone has to define what's evil, isnt it???
    Is evil someone that does anything to achieve his goals, wich good be beneficial?
    Is evil someone who murders people just by following orders?
    Is evil someone who murders and fries people by bombing them, while he never sees them, or gets his hands dirty?
    Is equally evil a murderer with a code of honor and ethics with a cold-blood murderer?
    Is evil an abused psychopath??
    the cataloque can go on forever. The answers are depending ONLY in each one's ethics and morality. And quite different those are in each one of us.
    f.e. Dooku wanted to bring truly honor and justice in a corrupt and decadent Republic. But he caused a war to do that. In war thousands die. Some like him history labels as great leaders and fathers of their nations. (emperor Chi f.e.) Is it so???
    Some say Nute Gunray is the least evil villain. Why? He kills people with no second thought for MONEY! Sidious, Dooku, even Tarkin have an entire philosophy behind them, ideals. Nute kills for money! And then he hides behind his superiors. I think Nute is one of the most despising, evil, immoral characters in SW.
    Now, for anwering (sort of) the question...i think for me Vader is the least evil villain in SW. in his place most people would do the same (or worse)
  5. Jedsithor Force Ghost

star 4
    The least evil villain? the first droid to get chopped down by a lightsaber on the Trade Federation ship.
  6. DewbackRider88 Jedi Master

star 4
    Least evil villain?

Have to go with either Veers, seemed like a guy just taking pride in his military career.

Second choice (based mainly on eu ideas) is any stormtrooper that is a recruit. Most of them are just kids who couldnt get decent education or jobs and decided to joi the military to get a bit of respect. Then they find out that they get treated like crap by their superiors and shot at on a regular basis. Clones are made to fight, recruits just want some respect and direction in their lives (mush like actual young men joining the armies of the world today, school drop-outs, cant get decent jobs, ect)
  7. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    So "willingly choosing to join an organization that murders civilians" is less evil than being born into slavery for said organization?o_O
  8. DewbackRider88 Jedi Master

star 4
    Ah, but with any organization as big and influential as the empire, there is the use of positive propaganda. And as I said, many who join have no other option in their lives. They see recruitment posters and talk with recruiters that pursuade them that service in the imperial army/navy is great and an honurable thing.

Its happend in our history many times. Every country uses propaganda during times of war.

And something I have just thought of. What about troopers that have been drafted? They have no choice, its either serve or prison (or death). So for those who dont know about the darker side of the empire (outer-rim worlds, worlds not brutally conrolled by the empire) see the choice between prison or service as no choice at all. A military career all the way. Then they find out the truth, right after basic training lol
  9. ForceJumpAnakin Force Ghost

star 3
  10. MisterVader Jedi Knight

star 3
    That's not quite right.

Terrorism is simply the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.
  11. Blue_Jedi33 Force Ghost

star 5
    Gotti go with Veers, a soldier just following orders but a General, sort of like an SS General in Germany during WW2 that had nothing to to with the death camps.

Admiral Piett too, he was good at following orders not so much evil.

The commander of the second death star as well, forgot his name.

These are the life long officiers of the empire.

Dooku is more responsible for the death of many Jedi so he should not even be considered.
  12. markdeez Force Ghost

star 3
    i'll go with count dooku
  13. Jamiebacca Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay, I'll say this again....

Bounty hunters don't count as 'villains'.
    Lower minions and lackeys don't count as 'villans'.

We all know who the villains are supposed to be. And any Sith would definaltely be included as a villain. Jabba is a villain, as is Tarkin, Vader, Sidious, Maul, Dooku, Gunray, Grievous, Sebulba...
  14. BattleDroid1138 Force Ghost

star 3
    Lord Maul. All he did was kill Qui-Gon in self-defence.
  15. TrueRevanite Jedi Knight

star 1
    In those terms, then it has to be Sebulba. Yeah, he is a bad guy and all, but at the end of the day all he was out for was to make money and gain fame in podracing. He is no different than most athletes in sports in real life. Everyone of the other ones mentioned chose to do evil and put the galaxy as a whole in peril.
  16. Jamiebacca Jedi Master

star 4
    Darth Maul was an evil killing machine. Hunting and killing was all he did. He was bloodthristy maniac with no redeeming qualities - an animal. He was red with horns for crying out loud! Nah - he was an evil rapid dog.

Sebulba was a villian in the classic sense, but I like TrueRevanite's analogy. He was a selfish no-good cheater and a bully, but he did what he did to get ahead. I don't think he was out to slaughter anyone for kicks (although he did make some nasty spills during the race).
  17. acmilanboy Jedi Knight

star 1
    Tarkin.

He's there for the power, not the evil. Where Vader/Dooku/Palps were there in an attempt to rule the galaxy via the Dark side, he didn't have the Jedi training to harness the Dark side; his strength was a combination of military and political power. Though at the end of the day, he was still beholden to Vader/Palps, he still wielded substantial power through those two channels (as indicated by those nifty orange bars). Therefore, since his evil was a more "temporal evil," he qualifies as my "least evil villain."

[Note: Honorable mention to Piett/Veers, but yea they fall under the title of "minion." Though they are competent, career soldiers who are the best at what they do, they lack strategic decision-making power (as opposed to tactical decision-making power, which they have). If they weren't minions, they would be my choice].
  18. Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm going to go with Captain Needa if we're using minions as well.
  19. Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep

star 6
    Tarkin.

He's there for the power, not the evil.

Tarkin? He blew up Alderaan to prove a point, how is that less evil than, say Boba Fettwho's just in it for money (as best we can tell), or Piett?
  20. acmilanboy Jedi Knight

star 1
    Piett and other military types are "minions" and really not villains per se (as discussed above).

Boba Fett falls under the same category as the Trade Federation, Grevious and Jabba--power for the sake of pleasure. There was definitely a touch of sadism in Greivous' actions (the way he was going to dispatch Obi-Wan; his collection of lightsabers; etc.) making him evil for the sake of pleasure. Fett, the Trade Federation and Jabba did the evil thing for the sake of money, so they fall under the aegis of "evil for the sake of pleasure."

That being said, what is more evil to you? Utilizing evil for the sake of pleasure or for the sake of power?

Evil for pleasure is much more base, appealing to our primal instincts. However, I equate intellect/Stoicism with somehow being less evil, something that I admit to be partially faulty.

Tarkin had a head on his shoulders. He didn't mind playing third (perhaps even second) fiddle to the Emperor. If he was pure evil -- evil to the point of clouding his intellect -- he would head on over to Coruscant and blow Palps to kingdom come. However, he was content with his position in the Empire and having the power of the DS.

Then again, I'm thinking too hard. Tarkin is pretty evil for destroying Alderaan to prove a point (showing the power of the DS and to intimidate Leia).

My post without all the mindless posturing follows:

Least evil villain = Jabba. Being a gangster, throwing a Twi'lek and a Gamorrean to their deaths doesn't really qualify as evil. Stupid, maybe, for thinking that he could dispatch Luke so easily, but not evil.
  21. Queengodess Force Ghost

star 4
    Piett. Veers is a candidate as well. They just do their job, for what they believe to be the right reasons.
  22. Jamiebacca Jedi Master

star 4
    Piett and the other 'officers' cannot be compared to Tarkin.

Check my points again!

Tarkin is most certainly a villian. His plots, intentions, importance and pro-actions most certainly quality him for MAJOR villianage in EPIV.

A 'villain' has a certain 'mwah-ha-haaaaa' quality. Think moustache black-hatted fellows tying ladies to railroad tracks. Think of actions spawning ominous musical cues...

In EpIV, Tarkin AND Vader are each CLASSIC villains. And I would not put either on the lower scale of the list.

Same goes for Jabba! He wants to put the heroes to their deaths! He kills for FUN. That's evil!
  23. Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Agreed, Tarkin, Vader, Palpatine, and Jabba would be on the top of the list.
  24. Jamiebacca Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes! For sure, for sure, for sure.

In the PT, we have Darth Sidious, Nute Gunray, Darth Maul, Count Dooku and General Greivous as indisputable 'villians'.

I've said that bounty hunters don't count, but I do have thoughts on the Fetts. Jango Fett comes darn close to being a villian. Much closer than Boba. And he is definately an 'enemy' to the heroes (particulariy to Obi Wan, and Mace, briefly). He has a much more prominent part in the Saga with a much bigger role than Boba does (for screen time and dialouge) and his list of actions are much more naughty than his 'son'.

Jango
    - Orchestrates two sasasination attempts of Padme.
    - Murders his partner in crime.
    - Is the template for the clone troopers, brought in by Dooku.
    - Gets two full fight sequences with Kenobi.
    - Kills a Jedi onscreen.
    - Has a memorable fight/death sequence in the arena.

Boba
    - takes potshots at Kenobi trying to protect his dad.
    - breaks the audiences' fourth wall by mugging to the camera in Docking Bay 94.
    - Finds the Falcon and leads the Empire to Bespin.
    - Takes potshots at Luke as thinks he's being tailed.
    - Takes frozen Han Solo to Jabba the Hutt.
    - steps into the skirmish at Carkoon to be accidentally defeated by a blinded Han Solo.

So again, neither of them are villians, but Jango comes closer to 'mwaa-haa-haa'ness than Boba.
  25. Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep

star 6
    That being said, what is more evil to you? Utilizing evil for the sake of pleasure or for the sake of power?

Honestly, I don't see much difference, because they have one common theme; doing something wrong for personal gain. What they want may be different but whatever it is, they want it for themselves.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.