main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who's up for Jedi-Con?

Discussion in 'Archive: FanForce Conventions Europe' started by Obi Anne , Sep 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm going to order my tickets early next week, there will probably be two of us from Sweden coming. It would be nice to know where people are planning to stay, so if anyone has any ideas about hotels it would be good to know.

2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'd go but I just can't afford it. :(

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Same here. CE was fine because I was able to commute. I really can't afford hotel/airfare/boarding the cat.

4. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Hopefully, I'll be there. I just have to see when will Easter holidays at UCL begin and what major exams will there be around that time. If all goes well, I'll go to Düsseldorf. :)

5. Qui-Gina-Jinn

Qui-Gina-Jinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 2, 2003
    *raises hand*

I plan on being there - am saving for it anyway...

I have no idea where I'll be staying, yet.

6. Jaina_swordofJedi

Jaina_swordofJedi Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2007
    This is going to be held in Germany?

7. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Yes, Easter weekend 2008 in Düsseldorf in the (then) newly built so-called Airport City

8. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    I'll be there ;)

9. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    I really try to be there - especially because it is a lot closer than London. [face_praying]

10. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    If you don't come to Dusseldorf itself, we'll all be paying a visit to your doorstep madame.

Meeting you and Flo again are definitely one reason I am coming.

11. ForceGhostOfCozmic

ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 25, 2005
    I'd love to go but I don't think I'll have the money for it, but never say never :p

If I don't make this I'll probably end up going to another big European event down the road :)

12. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Awww [face_blush] Thanks. [:D]
    Btw That's exactly one of the reasons why I want to go as well.

I cross my fingers for all who want to come but can't say for sure now. [face_good_luck]

13. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    I really hope to make it, but it's too hard to say right now. I will none the less start looking at hotels as, based on what Senny has told me, I don't think I could easily afford the actual hotel where Jedi-Con is being held....unless I win the lottery in the mean time ;)

14. Blue_but_beautiful

Blue_but_beautiful Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2006
    I'm gonna have to say no for this one too, need to save my pennies :(

15. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    If you do win the lottery . . [face_batting]

16. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    I've heard that lottery prizes can get pretty big in the UK. I'll need to start playing when I go there if that is true. [face_thinking]

I could then afford lots of future conventions as well as a nice FX lightsaber.... *dreamy eyes*
    :p

17. spike_thmid

spike_thmid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    Flights & Hotel already booked [face_dancing]

Obi-Wan and Vader (and possibly General Madine if I can fit another costume in my bag!!) will be off to Germany
    (hurrah)

18. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    a) I hope you'll actually land in Düsseldorf (i.e. DUS) and haven't fallen for that cheap trick cheap airlines use by sending you to our perverted version of Frankfurt-Hahn, namely Niederrhein-Weeze (i.e. NRN), which is so freaking far away, it lost, in court, the right to have "Düsseldorf" in its name
    if so, consider this another FYI for everyone. I just can never stress this enough until that place is bulldozed :)

b) which hotel?

speaking of, I drove by the hotel the con is in yesterday. It looks almost done ;) And it's literally right across the airport terminal. When I was there when I left for London, I thought it was farther away.

19. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Sound like it will be noisy at the Jedi-Con. From all the aircraft taking of and landing... :p

Even worse that in front of ExCel, where Ian McDiarmid was constantly interrupted by planes from the near airport. ;)

20. Qui-Gina-Jinn

Qui-Gina-Jinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 2, 2003
    At least we're kinda used to it by now, aren't we?? :p

I really hope I can make it - atm, I'm not really sure :(

21. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    It should be fine if there aren't any outdoors events, I didn't notice any airport noise when I was inside.

Can someone give me an estimate as to how much it'd cost to either stay in the hotel where Jedi Con is or in a hotel that's walking distance away?

22. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    the site's still only in German, but http://www.jedi-con.de/jedicon2008/con_infos/002_zimmerbuchungen.php lists "special con rates" apparently

Standard room
    single room: ? 89,00
    double room: ? 109,00

"Comfort room" (larger)
    single room: ? 99,00
    double room: ? 119,00

Junior-Suite (ca. 50 qm)
    single room: ? 159,00
    double room: ? 179,00

all prices are for 1 night and include breakfast

have to be booked directly with the hotel by supplying the keyowrd "Jedi-Con 2008" (it doesn't mention any codes you might get with tickets or something - don't have mine yet)
    Phone: +49 (0) 211 5209-0 / Fax: -1000 / e-mail: info.dus@maritim.de

I'll take a look at the two or three other hotels that are near the airport. Don't know if they count as walking distance, though.
    The hotel might be a good location space-wise, but if it weren't for the busline stopping practically right in front of my house, even I would have problems getting there. I think 04's CCD was more practical that way (but we'll see).

oh yeah, I doubt there will be any outdoor events (and planes don't fly right over the terminal) ;)

23. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Thanks for the info. :)

I'll have to see how things work out.

24. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    I found 2 others that aren't ridiculously expensive (if you want that, take the Lindner Airport Hotel :p)

AirHotel Wartburg - 59? single, 69? double apparently (can't seem to link to the English site, you'll have to click the flag at the top ;))
    a few stations by bus

Holiday Inn Express - from 101,50? ... for both? the site confuses me
    20 minutes by bus

I only went by price and proximity to the Airport. Everything else is more expensive (or didn't tell me any price at all [face_frustrated]) or farther away - and there's obviously no limit for either.

Alternately, though, there are a couple near the main station. It's not really close, but getting there would be easy. One's an ibis (ee-bis or ay-bis? ;)) the other a Holiday Inn (and probably a couple of smaller ones... somewhere).

And then there's this thing called "Motel One" that's right around the corner from where I live (55/70?), if anybody wants to be close to me (i.e. taking the bus to the con with me every morning) ;)

25. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005

True. :p

TLJ, thanks for the info on the accomodation. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.