main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who's up for Jedi-Con?

Discussion in 'Archive: FanForce Conventions Europe' started by Obi Anne , Sep 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I'm sorry, can you say that a few more times? You like NRN best? :p

Also, I'm ordering my ticket now. I am probably going to be interested in rooming with someone at the hotel to save money, but first I need to figure out what dates I'm going to be there and if I'm going to be going anywhere before or after the con, and that's going to depend on what kind of time off I can get. Anyhoo, if anyone else is looking for a roommate, maybe we can start tentatively planning.

2. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Luckily, Sabine already warned me about that. I'm looking at Germanwings now, maybe going to Köln and taking a bus, but I'm still looking at the cheapest option, because my budget for the Jedi-Con isn't very big unfortunately.

And interestingly enough, even though, even though you mentioned it is forbidden by court, the Ryanair page still has the name D-dorf Weeze. :p
    [Admiral Ackbar] It's a TRAP! [/AA]

3. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    I got my ticket in the mail. Looks like I'm in block G.

4. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    I'm probably going to be booking a hotel room for Friday through Sunday nights. If anyone is interested in sharing a room, let me know.

5. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Flight - booked
    Con tickets - ordered (thanks Anna)
    hotel - nearly sorted (thanka again Anna)

So I'll be there, Anna too :D
    Looking forward to seeing everyone again!

6. DrPaine

DrPaine Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2007
    Ooooh.... I want to go SO BAD!! But I think I still have lectures until Tuesday after the Con! Curses upon you Warwick Medical School! I was at the con in 2001 (I think it was 2001...) when it was in Koeln. I actually lived in Duesseldorf for 8 years... so I speak the language and know the area really well... I wanna go I wanna go I wanna go! Maybe I'll just take some time off Uni...

Where is everybody staying? and can someone give me an estimate on the cost for hotels?

Fran x

7. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Tim, you lucky Ewok you!! :p
    Well done on getting (most) things signed, sealed and almost delivered. Still not sure if I'll be joining you (sadly it's looking more unlikely than likely) but we'll see.

I say skip uni for a bit Fran, it'll be worth it ;)

And yes Tim, what hotel will you be staying at, if you don't mind us asking? :)

8. Marani

Marani Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2007
    Tim and I are going to stay here: Hotel Wartburg
    It seems to be about 15 min away if you walk, but I'm probably about to need a taxi. Had some troubles with my lungs lately and if I'd walk, I sound like Darth Vader for about 30 min :-(

Con-Tickets are ordered but I haven't heard from them.
    Train tickets should arrive tomorrow.

A few years ago there was a funny sci-fi/comedy movie in the cinemas called (T)Raumschiff Surprise [Dreamship Surprise] paroding Star Wars, Star Trek, MIB, Matrix, Back to Future,...
    Plot summary: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0349047/plotsummary

There are few of us who'd like to see the movie on that weekend, but we have to find a location outside the jedi-con area so I'd like to know who else wants to see that movie?
    Unfortunatelly it's only in German. There should be an English version, since it was on australien TV, but I can't find it.

9. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    I would love to watch it in English! So far I have seen it in German only. :D

10. MacCaffrey

MacCaffrey VIP star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 2000
    I haven't seen a English Version yet. But I take a look... :)

11. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Periode 1! I even have a poster of that in my room. :D I loved the lightwhip. That's soooo Lumiya, even though I doubt the creators of the movie even heard about her. :p

I haven't seen the real English version either; it was just subtitles stuck on the actual movie. Pretty badly in some scenes, I have to admit. But it was watchable and I did understant everything in the end. ;)

This Wartburg hotel looks really good. Better than a few places I've been looking at, at least. And its quite close to the Jedi-Con as well... [face_thinking] I might go for that option. Will probably do the booking and the flight over weekend, when I have some more free time.

12. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Me and David, some of you know who it is, have also booked our rooms at Hotel Wartburg. We wanted to have a room where we knew there would be other SW-fans around.

13. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    The final nail in the 'Who's up for Jedi-Con' coffin was hammered-in yesterday when I heard that the new GM at work isn't allowing anyone to have a holiday during Easter. I'm not surprised as it'll be a very busy time for us, and so on that note I wont be able to attend :( :_|

I'm very sorry and disappointed that I can't make it, but such is life and I know you lot will still have plenty of fun regardless :p

14. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    I'm very sorry to hear that you can't come. I hoped so much. :(
    Hopefully it isn't too hard for you to miss the Jedi-Con. [:D]

15. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Sorry to hear that, it would have been nice to see you again. :)

16. MacCaffrey

MacCaffrey VIP star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 2000
    I am sorry to hear that, too! I was looking forward to meet you again...
    I wish you the best and hope to see you some other time. :) [:D]

17. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    I'm in, too.[face_dancing]

Well, I'd better be, after all, I am responsible for the table of the GSFF.:p

I also have a double room reserved in the Maritim hotel.

/edited on request

18. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    I may be looking for a roommate, but I still haven't gotten official word yet on whether I'll get vacation time or not. :( Suffice it to say I will be most angry if I don't get it, because I really, really need this. :p

19. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I really need you [face_batting]

20. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    I've done a little scouting today...
    For those in the Hotel Wartburg, there is a bus station almost right in front of the hotel with a line (760) that goes directly to the terminals, which are right across the Maritim. In theory, you could also walk but it takes VERY LONG. I know. I've done it. Twice. Today. Holy crap. It doesn't take terribly long to reach "the airport" but that's just the premises really and the Con-Hotel is at the other end. 8-} It's really more like 40 minutes. It looked way closer on Google Maps [face_worried]
    Also, if any of you Wartburg residents arrive at main station instead of the airport, the subway will take you there, also a direct line.

Those who stay in the Maritim... well, they have it pretty good. The place looks expensive. It's got a direct access to the airport's departure hall. You wouldn't even have to go outside, technically, to get to your rooms after landing :eek:
    Again, if main station (Mel?), there's a train (S1 or S7, I forgot) and the bus I'll be taking every morning.

Also, it's got all kinds of bars and restaurant inside, whereas the rest of "Airport City" is still under construction, so there's that :p However, they look kinda too fancy. Everything else would be in the city, really. We may be small, but it still takes a little while to get there. And then find something. On, what, a Saturday night? [face_worried]

PM me if you have questions. Mel is for inside of Jedi-Con (nice title :p), I'm for outside ;)
    Anyone staying anywhere else?

21. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    :eek:
    I am responsible?

OMG!!!+1
    i got a title? how could that happen????

*goes to hyperventilate*

Erm. pm me about that station thing? I have no clue what you're talking about.:oops:
    Anyway, I'll arrive with car, because I'll have those loads of things for the table....

22. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    okay, doesn't matter if you arrive by car. Finding it then shouldn't be a problem ;)

23. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    So when you take the bus, do you have to pre-buy your tickets, and what do they cost?

24. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    right
    you can buy them from the driver in busses and at machines in everything else, but buying them beforehand is a little more practical - you're not holding up anyone :p; you can sort out the shared money for a group ticket in peace; and they're cheap little stubs out of thin paper when bought in busses
    either way, in busses you have to show the driver your ticket when entering
    (busses, busses, busses, busses, busses, mushroom! mushroom! o_O)

http://www.vrr.de/imperia/md/content/en/abc_e_prices.pdf
    http://www.rheinbahn.de/opencms/opencms/html/en/main/tickets/alle_preise.htm

relevant:
    - It's always Fare Zone A
    - A Group Ticket is already cheaper when you're 3 people (for back&forth each day) (maybe unless you do math-acrobatics with a 4-trip ticket - doubt it, though)

oh, btw, is everyone arriving on Friday or earlier?

25. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    I'll be there at Friday already, noon latest. I have to put up the table by 2pm and rather be on the early side.
    For contact I am willing to send my mobile number in pms, just in case.

And I have found a roommate!
    If a mod would care to delete the request for on in my earlier post?[face_batting]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.