main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD Who's up for Star Trek: Nemesis?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by MarvinTheMartian, Jan 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    It's been recieiving mediocre reviews generally. not good, but not bad either.

I'm not terribly optimisitic myself. I'll be seeing it on Saturday night, with my family...a Birthday treat :D

2. imzadi

imzadi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2000
    I thought it was brilliant!

3. -luigi-

-luigi- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2002
    So did I!

and judging by the audience reaction, so did everyone else there. :D

4. MrNeech

MrNeech Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    I thought it was one of the best yet!

5. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    Better than Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country? :D

6. -luigi-

Jul 26, 2002
    6 is still the best.

Nemesis is pretty damn close though :)

7. CCD

CCD Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    It was pretty good. The villian was a tad cliche though. TWINE, anyone?

8. -luigi-

Jul 26, 2002
    What, because they were both bald?

9. CCD

CCD Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    Well no, I mean the whole impaling thing. And the slowly dying thing. The origin of the villian was fairly original, I guess.

EDIT: Oops, spoiler.

10. imzadi

imzadi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2000
    Did anyone else laugh in the opening scene? Kind of reminded me of some other movies... :D

11. CCD

CCD Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    He he maybe.

How far back in Trek canon do we find out about Remus? When I read all those books years ago it never mentioned it... Perhaps I just find two planets that mimic ancient earth history a bit... odd.

12. -luigi-

Jul 26, 2002
    Remus is new

And just remember Universal Translator, The Romulans don't call themselves Romulans in their own language.

13. CCD

CCD Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    Righty-ho.

14. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    *GoobaFish reads the thread, sees keywords 'Remus', 'spoiler', 'ending', decides to not read this thread until he's seen the movie.*

15. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    Oh, poor Gooba.

16. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    I actually wasn't expecting too much so really liked Nemesis. I thought it was almost as good as First Contact, which I still like the best of the whole series.

It really wasn't the storyline I felt it was going to be about so it was a nice surprise and a few scenes, like the first, made me feel really good about the characters again.

*****spoilers! below******

I was a bit disappointed with the repetition of Picard trying to save everyone from some weapon of mass destruction though. Happened in Generations and Insurrection, but it is a good ending. And my friends and I laughed about how they all take 7 minutes to activate and gets stopped at 3 seconds before, but then, THAT is an action movie.

Favourite bits:
    First scene; the land vehicle exploding out of the Captains yacht; Space battle.

Overall I really liked it more than I thought I would, and it made me really excited to buy TNG season 6 today! woohooooo.

Live Long and don't kill the trekkies. :)

17. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    Actually, it's a long established fact that Romulus had a sister planet. In an original series episode called "Balance of Terror" I think, they show on a chart a nearby planet or system called 'Romii' (which is apaprently a mistake according to some sources).

Diane Duane (or Diane Carey, Diane someone at least) wrote some books chronicling the background of the Rommies, I can't rememebr the name of the book, but it is one of the few Trek books I really recommend reading. It may have been called "The Romulan way", and every second chapter talks about Romulan history, while every other one is an espionage type story with Dr McCoy.

18. -luigi-

Jul 26, 2002
    The books aren't canon.

19. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    In Star Trek I don't think you can call anything cannon as there are way too many loop holes in the series as it is. I know our fav Space Opera has a lot but Trekkies have to put up with a hundred times the amount...

Might explain why they tend to be a little strange actually ;)

20. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    I know the books aren't canon, but some oughta be, because they go into details which we will never see in the show.

I saw the movie today (I was going to see it last night but circumstances proved otherwise). I liked it a lot! There were some GREAT scenes hey!!!!

21. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Well if you say so.

22. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    OOOOOH yeah!!!! A lot of nice FX hey grieyls ;)

23. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    I don't really count FX as anything special these days as It can be done fairly easily now. Hell even your average TV program is laden with it so it's not that difficult for any studio to produce and hell of lot cheaper. Though I will admit that the higher production values do produce more and more realistic effects. However being that there is so much of it around I am no longer dazzled by it as easily as I was.

As such I seem to be steering more towards how well the story was excuted when I see a movie now, and in that lies the problem. I would have enjoyed Nemesis a lot more I believe had I been in the mood for that type of story as I can't see any fault in it on a technical point of view. However seeing that I was not in a Star Trek frame of mind at the time I got less out of it than I normally would have. This is true for all films for me these days, though a few will still "wow me" if it manages to push the correct buttons no matter what mood I am in. Very few films in the last couple of years have actually done this. Therefore I doubt I will see it again untill I am in the right frame of mind and maybe then I will appreciate it a lot more.

24. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Saw it last week, first time online since.

I enjoyed it greatly, although my fave TNG movie is First Contact. Good to see Wesley, Guinan, Ro(?) cameoing.

As for the Picard-Mass-distruction thingy, it didn't bother me. Trek Movies have always seemed to center around the Captain with 2 major B-stories and the ensemble adding to the richness of the story.

As for Janeway an Admiral? Yeah, I have no issues with that, it is assumed IMO that Picard would have knocked back many Promotions to stay with the Starfleet Flagship. It isn't an alien prospect.

The Wedding arc was good, enough lighter moments to balance it out ("Mister Troi", anyone?).
    I knew Spiner wanted to kill off Data, but B4 ("before", geddit?)... hmm :\ I dunno about that, sure you have a new guy wanting the humanity bit but neah, it isn't Data. But good to see more of the Geordi/Data friendship.

The Chase scene on the planet, good.
    The jokes from B4 cutely echoed fan comments over the years, Picard's baldnes etc.

I enjoyed it, it is Star Trek I have no choice to no like it, do I? :)

25. -luigi-

Jul 26, 2002
    Remember that Kirk told Picard "Never let them promote you".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.