main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY Who's Who In the Mos Eisley Port Authority(MEPA) - 2005 Edition

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by johnny_nod, Feb 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny_nod

johnny_nod Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Hello, fans and friends -

At the risk of being labeled a copycat, one can never revive the topic enough. I know we have an existing newbie thread("Greetings"), but I'd like to use this as our version of the NJO's great little Greetings thread that Marie recently started on their FF area.

"All MEPA members, report in!"

I'll start...

Red Ten, Standing b...oops. :D

My name's Arthur. I race cars, I love wom...oops. :D

HI! I'm John Bardy, a 35 year old clerical worker for the New York Police Department and an aspiring filmmaker(mostly independent variety, but I'll do mainstream stuff too) currently working on a rather unprecedented variety of "Star Wars" fanfilm. I don't watch much television(since the cancellation of "Mystery Science Theater 3000", anyway) and I hate sports, but I enjoy computer and home videogames(as well as arcade stuff) that have cool stories to tell.

My music tastes tend to run dark(gothic stuff), but I also enjoy 80s New Wave(I really miss A Flock of Seagulls), Classic Rock(save for those pieces that are played to DEATH, like "Sweet Home Alabama"), Alternative Rock, some Punk Rock, and some Techno/Industrial stuff. I do have inclinations towards roleplay of the tabletop and Live-Action variety, but I look at that more as exercise towards the creative/performance end of my aspirations...writing, acting, directing. :)

My love of "Star Wars" extends to having been exposed to it when on vacation in the summer of '77, when we saw it at a multiplex. I was pretty obsessed with it up until the word went forth that Lucas was not going to make anymore films past "Jedi". The prequels that later counteracted this notion didn't necessarily restore my faith in the series. No...surprisingly enough, it was the amateur FANFILMS that compelled me to step back into my appreciation of that galaxy far, far away...and the costuming groups in which members have created their own characters and the costumes to go with them.

Since joining MEPA last year, I've met a great, great bunch of new friends and I've every intention of keeping up my absolute appreciation and support for all the hard work and good vibes they continue to inject into the heart of Star Wars fandom, and they are exemplary of all the good and honorable aspects of a fan organization.

Oh yeah...I'm single, too. And hating it. :p

Who's up next? :D

- Johnny

2. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Hmmm good idea.

My name is trouble...

Oh wait... I forgot. I don't cause trouble anymore lol.

My name is Samantha, I'll be 22 in May, and I have been a member of MEPA since February 2002. (Just had my 3 year anniversary with MEPA on Saturday the 19th!) I used to be staff and everything, and do the website and all that fun stuff a longo time ago. -- but after a bunch of drama that went on, i let it all take a back seat and i stepped outta the lime light for a long time. I dont really do much anymore mainly because i realized that Star Wars fan clubs = drama! I learned if you just stay in the background -- and ignore it -- it doesnt seem to find you or bother you.

I live in the boonies of Suffolk County Long Island, and i'm the only member of MEPA who lives more then 50 miles from NYC. I am an honorary member of the Philly Fan force as well as I attend most of there events then I do in NY. I am a pre-law student at Stony Brook University, and I live in my own apartment (surrounded by trees, shrubs and a lake) with my 2 cats and my 2 chinchillas. I work at a day care facility in Commack Long Island where I care for little infants aged 3-10 months.

My love of Star wars began on November 27h 2001 when Episode 1 aired on Fox. I saw it about 15 minutes into the movie, and was glued to it for the rest of the 2 hours it was on. I ran upstairs and told all my friends i just saw the coolest movie ever, and the next day i went out and rented Episode 4,5 and 6 as well as looked up for info on Star Wars and found out that Episode 2 would be coming out. I lerked on TFN for 3 months before joining and was fairly active in the JCC episode 2 spoilers forums, and i was the only one to run a Star Wars website that distributed the soundtrack early and never got shut down! I attended the NYline in 2002 and met a lot of great people, and had a blast. This time, I will be seeing the movie at Midnight on Long Island with my boyfriend and our friends. All who love star wars -- they just arent in any clubs and i told them to stay out as much lol. I dont want them to have to deal with 40 year old fans who have nothing better to do all day then create drama or decide what makes a hardcore trooper.

In my spare time, I usually practice karate (I am a first degree black belt), costume (I have 7 Star Wars costumes) or just hang out with my friends. I currently have a big role in Johnnys fan film -- Tremors of the Force as long as doing tons and tons of behind the scenes work with him.

I am most famous for being "that girl" from the Star Wars triumph skit.

And that is all about me.

3. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    i'm the only member of MEPA who lives more then 50 miles from NYC.

*waves from the boonies of Illinois...* :p

My name is Anu, and I'm 21. I just graduated from NYU, also known as Now You're Unemployed, as I am finding out more and more every day when I apply for jobs and no one calls me back...<TOS VIOLATION>ers. So I'm here at home in Illinois until I find a job. :( Hopefully something in book publishing or film producing.

Anyway, I majored in Journalism, minored in Classics, and have no intention of going to med school. Though I did consider it after watching many, many episodes of Law & Order and Crossing Jordan.

I've been a member of MEPA since October 2003. My first meeting was the one in Union Square, because MoCCA was already booked for that day. I went a little bit late and then walked around that area for about 20 minutes, before I heard the person whom I would later know as Christina mention the name Steve Sansweet. And that's when I knew that I had found the group. :D

My current role in the group is as Sam's successor to the name Trouble. I am also known as the person with a chronic problem known as "Drooling over Obi-Wan and Anakin," which I currently have no plans to treat. There's also the other ailment I have, known as "Drooling over Ewan and Hayden." No plans to treat that one, either.

SW obsession began when USA would show the original original trilogy, i.e. pre-SE. So I would watch it in bits and pieces, thinking it was pretty cool. I remember clearly the Han/Leia kiss on Bespin. [face_love] Then, when the Special Editions came out, I asked myself, "Whoa, dude, did they, like, re-film every movie?" :p

One of my friends was really into the Han/Leia mush, so that's how I started paying more attention to the OT. Saw ANH and ESB in theatres, missed ROTJ - I swear, it didn't come to our town! I would've noticed! Anyway, that was all in 8th grade. One day during that year, I was at Target with my dad, and in the Books section that I always used to haunt, I saw ALL these SW books. Read the backs of a few of them and decided to start with The Last Command by Tim Zahn.

You might be asking, why did I start with the 3d book of a trilogy? Very simple. It said that Han and Leia's kids would be born in that book. So of course, I had no idea what was going on, but I caught on pretty quickly. Mara Jade = :cool:, Luuke = :eek:

So I started reading the rest of the books, more or less in chronological order. And then the PT came along. I was a sophomore, and one of my friends was a senior and fellow SW fan. She had just seen TPM and told me that she used to not like Obi-Wan. But after seeing this movie...she then made a gesture which is a bit hard for me to describe without violating TOS. :p

Actually, she gave me the link to TFN way back in '99. And like a fool, I didn't follow it. I could've been an oldbie on these boards. :(

So, after all that, I started avidly following the PT, while staying spoiler-free, and here I am. :D

Interests outside of SW (there exist such things?!) - HUGE X-Phile, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is my favorite movie ever, watching Buffy and Angel reruns (I miss Whedon humor). I listen to most kinds of music except country and rap, though there have been notable exceptions. Love Sinatra, Linkin Park, The Donnas, Billy Idol, Zeppelin, other kinds of "classic" rock and '80s music. Thelonius Monk is one of the greatest jazz pianists ever, IMO, and I love Scott Joplin music (think "The Sting").

Favorite book ever: There's a Girl in My Hammerlock - Jerry Spinelli

Right now, I spend my days at home working on my costumes for C3 - current project is Padme's Naboo Nightgown. I also spend a lot of time writing fanfic and refreshing the fanfic boards a LOT. Fanfic can be so much more satisfying at times than real SW books. I'm also a much-loved member of the Obi-Wan Character Workshop thread. Because without me, they wouldn't have any jello songs!

Ah yes, the jello. I'm not explaining that one. :p

F

4. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    My Name is David. Glad to know ya'. First meeting was in Union Square Park 10/03. My favorite S/W moment is the medal ceremony from Episode 4. Got saved by my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I was re-born in January. After a blessed miracle was done for me. And praising G-d in his glory. I started going out with a wonderfull girl. Bernadette is her name. G-d brought us together recently. I am an aspiring Stand-up Comic. And I love to sing just about anything.
    I recently appeared alongside my friend and fellow MEPA'noid John Bardy in a series of plays. I was honored to be part of them. And honored to be cast in his Star Wars FanFilm Tremors of the Force.

My favorite movies outside of Star Wars include, in no particular order.

The Matrix (All 3 films are great)
    Flash Gordon(1980)
    Grease
    Mary Poppins
    Mulan(Disney)
    The Lion King
    Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet
    The Pirate Movie
    Ferris Buellers Day Off
    The Hunt for Red October
    STar Trek 2,3,4,6 and 8(First Contact)

Amongst many!!

Favorite TV;
    THe Simpsons
    Survivor
    er
    Sesame Street(to reconnect with that sense of wonder I sometimes can lose.)

Favorite Music;

The Polyphonic Spree
    The Who's Tommy(I own 5 versions of it)
    Pink Floyd's The Wall
    Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon
    Jesus Christ Superstar
    G-dspell

Green Day's American Idiot
    (I am a rock opera nut)
    Avenue Q
    Gilbert and Sullivan

And just about any Broadway show. Next G-d willing will be Spamalot.

And for now just trying to spread good honest loving vibrations to my fellow HUMANS on this great planet we call Earth.
    And that's me in a nutshell. Because I am a nut.

5. hchristensenfan

hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    I'm Evie, I'm 19 years old and single (not fun). I fell in love with Star Wars in the early 90's when I first saw the OT on VHS (Mind you I was around 10 at the time). I love all of the Star Wars movies, I read many of the EU books. I also love the Lord of the Rings (books and movies). I also drool over Hayden and Ewin... [face_drool] enough said! :)

6. timharrod

timharrod Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2002
    Ahoy, hoy. I'm Tim Harrod, a 36-year-old Brooklyn-area writer (mostly humor) and SW fan. Participated in NYLine II (visible in the background of the infamous Triumph tape), and am getting back into the stream of fandom as ROTS approaches and Johnny's fanfilm, Tremors, gets up and running.

A full-blown eclectic geek, I'll talk anyone's ear off about Star Wars, Monty Python, the Simpsons, "Weird Al" Yankovic, Saturday Night Live, Back to the Future, the history of electronic gaming, the Muppets, the DC Comics universe, the ukulele, and a laundry list of other topics.

I am obviously single.

7. Allie Fox

Allie Fox FanForce CR Macon GA US star 3

Jan 13, 2000
    My name is Allie. I'm a guy!

I don't live in NYC. I'm not a "member" of MEPA.

I'm insanely jealous of anyone who lives in the metro NY area. I was born and raised on Long Island and would certainly be a member if I still lived there. I visit the Big Apple every couple of years and my daughter is (hopefully) going to college in NYC, although that is still about seven years away. When she goes, I will follow. ;)

Currently I'm a member of the MACON CLONES, the Middle Georgia Star Wars Fan Club. I've been a Star Wars fan since 1977.

My fan club profile can be found HERE

8. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    Considering I'm an old New Yorker and went to school up there and count many MEPA people among my friends, eh what the heck. :p

My name is Herb. I'm 22 years old, turning 23 in September. I'm a graduate of Fordham University with degrees in Economics and History. I'm planning on attending law school next year. I've been a Star Wars fan ever since my aunt showed me Return of the Jedi when I was six or seven years old. I watched the OT at least two to three times a week when I was much younger. My interest and geekiness in Star Wars blosomed back in 2002 with the release of AOTC while I had bronchitis. :p

I'm currently in the construction industry, working for my father's company, and living at home. I have a wonderful girlfriend who goes to NYU and I want to get the hell out of Philly as soon as humanly possible. Hehe. Preferably back up to New York, which I fell in love with in the four years that I spent at Fordham.

I'm a huge movie fan, and have over 110 DVDs in my collection. I enjoy modern and classic rock pretty much, recently Green Day as my fave. I collect Star Wars Lego's with the X-Wing, Millenium Falcon and the ROTS Jedi Starfighter in my collection.

9. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    I collect Star Wars Lego's with the X-Wing, Millenium Falcon and the ROTS Jedi Starfighter in my collection.

:eek:

Must...control...extreme envy... :p

10. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Howdy, y'all!

Mark, chiming in here from the UK...One of MEPA's international members (Yes, MEPA stretched beyond the city borders!). I'm 26 in June, and I graduated with honours in 2001 in Electronic Media (That's a posh term for video production!). Currently I am unemployed, and I (temporarily) live alone; that will be changing in September when I start another degree program at the University of Central England in Birmingham. I will be studying for a BSc in Computer Science, minoring in Network Technology -- That's kinda cool, having two batchelors degrees (hopefully both with honours) by the time I'm 30!

I have been a member of MEPA since April 2002, and first joined when I decided that I wanted to view Attack of the Clones in New York. So, I introduced myself to the members here in the forums, and then met them all in May of that year when I flew out to NYC...One of the greatest times of my life! I've been a member ever since.

My first Star Wars experience was way back in 1983 with Return of the Jedi. I distinctly remember my mother taking me to see the film when I was only four years-old. I don't remember seeing the entire movie (Who would? After all, it was 22 years ago!), but I definetly remember scenes like the Speeder Bike chase, the Battle of Endor, but my favourite scene as a kid was when we first saw The Emperor! Probably stands to reason why he is my favourite character! :) Obviously growing up as a child of the 80's, Star Wars was a big part of my life, which continued with Star Wars being an influence on me going to University to become a film-maker. I originally joined the boards at TF.N to discuss Fan Films...I don't hang out there much now, but some of the work that has come out has been exceptional!

My main interests include films: My favorites are Raiders of the Lost Ark, Aliens, Shaun of the Dead, Blade II, Boogie Nights, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Die Hard, Bruce Campbell vs. The Army of Darkness, and The Great Escape -- Star Wars is in that list as obligitory (otherwise, why am I here?). I also enjoy music, with tastes ranging from Club Anthems to Classical! (yeah, I like classical music, and I'm not gay!), and sports such as Basketball, Cricket, proper Football (Soccer to you!), and Baseball.

11. cyranodb

cyranodb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2001
    Suppose I should do one of these myself. I'm Michael, my friends call my Mike or Mickey, no one calls me late for dinner and if you know me that's obvious. I've been a Star Wars fan ever since I first saw Jedi in the theater and then caught the rest of the trilogy on video. I was never involved in fandom however, until at the end of law school, after I just caught the Phantom Menace, when I needed something to take my mind off of the bar exam and I also needed to make some friends. I'm happy to say that my fandom has brought me closer to a great bunch of people that have done some great works in the past and hope to do some great works in the future.

I'm 34, single, did I mention I'm a lawyer? I also like trying to learn to play my guitar and I like classic rock and blues music. I recently learned to ride a motorcycle and I'm hoping to save my money to get one. I have an old VW Beetle that I keep running with the hope that I'll completly restore it one day...anyone that has local restoration contacts...please feel free to let me know. I also think it's good to have other pursuits besides Star Wars. I'm also a big Lord of the Rings fan, and I totally dig the Harry Potter novels.

12. Lieutenant Piett

Lieutenant Piett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 1999
    My name is Kevin and I'm known for my hat. I've worn that hat -- in-season -- for about 5 years now (It was a fortunate find on a foggy night in Philly (he alluded alliteratively)), and I've worn my name for about 34. (*creak*; eh? wha'd ya say, young'uns?)

I am the result of genetic material from the British Isles originally assembled in Maryland by way of a few generations of Philadelphians. After a 7-year stint in the Delaware system, I moved to NYC in May 2001 because I wanted to / could / needed to. See, I visited here way back in '86 and immediately locked into the vibe and the pace of the place. It was inevitable, really. After a bit of an, ah, unofficial stay on the Upper West Side (and after terrorists blew up the WTC tower wherein I had gotten myself temporarily employed (then hired and relocated, fortunately)), I moved it out to Queens, to the Fliu Xing Province (a.k.a. "Flushing").

Star Wars -- well, my reality was pretty much entirely usurped by SW back in the summer of '77. I mean, SW was all, and all was SW, for the most part. This ended rather abruptly with the SW Care Bears(tm)Movie, a.k.a. ROTJ (which since, I've come to accept, though it's still my least favorite of all of 'em). I joined the JC.N back towards the end of its Golden Age, in the flamey aftermath of TPM. SW Fandom re-ignited with TPM, you see, after what I thought would be just a cute spell of nostalgia sprung way out of control, and the mixed-blessing of the Internet resonated with and amplified it as I found others of similar mind (which is a scary notion).

I joined MEPA -- or SWNYC as it was called then -- in 2001 after moving up here. My first event was a lunch at "Mars 2112". I'll never forget the sight of Darth Vader and a squad of Stormtroopers walking down 7th Ave, questioning cops and halting & searching buses!
    I did the (cold and rainy) Line II for AOTC and will now be making my (fan-)film debut in johnny_nod's lil' project. I try to make it to MEPA events whenever I can.

Affinities:
    Guitars
    Bass Guitars
    Old-school Prog Rock
    Paychecks which would be Enough but for all the <TOS VIOLATION> taxes leeched from them
    Chinese Martial Arts
    Sleep

Aversions:
    drama
    ivory towers
    exalted mediocrity
    tha Music Biz
    The "Expanded Universe" (There are NO such things as yellow / orange / pink lightsabers. Period!)

But hey. Live & let live, I say. More or less.

13. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    Hi I'm Juan Navedo. I'm not a member of MEPA but from everything that I'm reading on here...I would love to be (anyone with details on how to become a member please PM me).

I'm 24 years old and I live in Manhattan. I'm a huge Star Wars fan and a fan of LOTR but Star Wars is my main love. I'm planning on making filmmaking a career and should be off to college in the fall if things go well that is (I'm a late bloomer). I just got a PC for the sole purpose of filmmaking and I'm ready to get to work on some projects I have in mind. Although I don't have a cam yet, I barrow from a friend of mine. But I am looking to purchase 2 cameras this year; the Canon Optura Xi (BTS cam) and my main cam the Sony HDR-FX1. I am so glad to see fellow NY'ers and hope to work with some of you in the near future.

14. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    Obijuan

PM Sent :)

John

15. cyranodb

Aug 26, 2001
    Hey O.B. Juan...thanks for the compliment. Meet up with us at our next meeting and see what we're really like...might change your mind. ;) Just teasing. Come check us out. We're hoping to get some events planned for the future.

16. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    Welcome Obijuan. Glad you posted. Hope to see you around. You will meet a great,awesome group of people.

Unfortunate update to above. I am again single.

17. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    Well, unfortunately I have plans this weekend. I didn't know we would meet up so soon. However I will most definately come on the next gathering. You guys are pretty bad ass, I'm so looking forward to meeting you all. I'm hoping the initiation doesn't involve a savage beating with Hasbro Lightsabers

18. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Actually, it does. And you have to yell, "Thank you, sir! May I have another?" with every strike. :p

19. F16WarBird

F16WarBird Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    Anu, you're such a dirty girl. I miss you! ;)

LOL!

20. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    [face_blush] [face_mischief]

Well, you know, someone has to represent MEPA way the hell out here. :D

And what can I say? When you've had your butt literally kicked by Kris, such thoughts come to mind easily. :p

21. cyranodb

Aug 26, 2001
    Anu,

Did this involve mud in anyway...and were photos taken??

22. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    :: Kick :: :D

23. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    *meek voice*

Oooowwwwww....

No mud, but it's in Jedi House, for all to see. :p

24. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    In 13 days we'll know if we made the finals! Woohoo!

25. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    Cant wait :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.