main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Who's your favorite EU author?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Chancellor Yoda, Sep 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Write who your favorite author is by list of authors, write a one author down and detail why, or however you would like to do it and thanks.
    My favorite is James Luceno because he immerses me in the star wars universe more then any other author.

Davak24 and General Immodet like this.
  2. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Not going to be the most popular opinion I'm sure, but Karen Traviss by far. I enjoy the "life" she gave to the Mandalorian culture.

Also re-tagged this as a discussion thread, not a social thread.

[​IMG]

3. Chancellor Yoda

Jul 25, 2014
    Though I haven't read much of hers, I have always been interested in the Mandalorian culture , perhaps even being my favorite culture in star wars. Oh and thanks about re-tagging it, couldn't remember if it was social or discussion.

4. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    John Ostrander.

Davak24 likes this.
  5. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    I am going to give an honorable mention to Jason Fry though as well. His work on the Guide to Warfare was fantastic.

[​IMG]

6. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Should have put an 's' on the end of 'author'! :p

Tim Zahn (well he was first!).

Stackpole.

Allston (RIP, Aaron - @};-).

Karen Traviss.

7. Chancellor Yoda

Jul 25, 2014
    I stand corrected ,I actually feel bad for making such a minor mistake, but I was in a hurry to start this thread so did not check it like I usually do. :p

8. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
  9. Mandalore The Uniter

Mandalore The Uniter Jedi Master star 2

Jul 17, 2007
    Oh wow, time to narrow down my list. :p

1) Karen Traviss. Love/hate her, she's the "mother" of Mandalorian fandom. A great lady to talk with and be around, but don't get her angry! =P
    2) Aaron Allston. Loved the X-wing series, and he was just a great guy to physically be around.
    3) Mike Stackpole. Also loved his part in the X-wing series, and another great guy to be around.
    4) Jason Fry. I haven't read anything from him that I didn't like. Very down to earth with fans, a real genuine guy.
    5) Tim Zahn. I mean, who doesn't like the guy? :p
    6) Ryder Windham. Does a great job of working with (without stepping on) what's already established. Great guy with a huge heart for charity.

10. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Novels: James Luceno, love his detail and immersiveness. Best choice to do Tarkin, I may actually enjoy it.
    I enjoy the Ref guide authors' style usually.

Davak24 and Chancellor Yoda like this.
  11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought Luceno did Tarkin very well in Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader.

Davak24 and Chancellor Yoda like this.
  12. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    1. Allston
    2. Stackpole
    3. Luceno
    4. Zahn
    5.Traviss
    6. Miller

13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Luceno. He makes sense of the nonsensical components of the movies.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Luceno, Stover, Keyes, Zahn, Allston, Stackpole, Crispin.

xezene likes this.
  15. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Not much comic authors being mentioned... Where is Randy Stradley, Tom Veitch, Ron Marz, John Jackson Miller, Haden Blackman?

Davak24, Shadow Trooper and spicer like this.
  16. Chancellor Yoda

Jul 25, 2014
    Miller is another star wars author I enjoy to read and I like John Ostranders Clone Wars comics run.

17. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    Matthew Stover: Traitor is probably my favorite Star Wars novel. The views on the force were revolutionary in that novel and it formed the crucial moment of Jacen's character development in the NJO. I also really enjoyed his RotS novelization. The prologue to that novel was just beautiful. Not only is he my favorite Star Wars author, he also wrote one of my favorite non Star Wars novels of all time, Heroes Die. I actually prefer the Acts of Caine to his Star Wars work.

Daniel Keys Moran: He crafted the finest short story to ever grace the Star Wars EU, The Last One Standing and wrote my favorite characterization of Boba Fett. He is also the author of The Tales of Continuing Time,which happens to be one of my favorite Sci-Fi series ever. Strangely enough, I didn't realize that Moran had written both works until I read about it on his website.

John Jackson Miller: I loved the KOTOR comics. Zayne Carrick is one of the best protagonists in the Star Wars universe. I also really loved the camaraderie between Zayne and Gryph. One of the best bromances in Star Wars IMO

John Ostrander: I really enjoyed his work on Republic and Legacy. The whole Galactic Alliance subplot is probably my favorite storyline from the Star Wars Comics.

18. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    1. Luceno- the way he delivers a story and the way he captures the thoughts of a character is near perfection .
    2. Kemp- underrated IMO but delivers strong stories and great character development.
    3. karpyshyn- just because of how great Path of Destruction was.

Davak24 likes this.
  19. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Probably Aaron Allson, with Timothy Zahn, Michael Stackpole and A. C. Crispin just one tier below.

20. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Luceno, Stover, Ostrander, Stradley and JJM

21. REJECTED

REJECTED Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2014
    Drew Karpyshyn, because I loved both TOR: Revan, TOR: Annihilation and the Darth Bane series.
    John Jackson Miller because the Lost Tribe of the Sith-stories were great, along with Knight Errant.
    James Luceno because of Plagueis and the Dark Lord Trilogy. (Currently reading, great so far)

22. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    Allston, by far. Also MJS's ROTS novel is pretty amazing

23. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Reading the Thrawn trilogy is what kick started my love of the EU books, so Timothy Zahn will probably always be my favorite, even if it is just a nastalgia thing.

24. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    My least favorite is James Luceno, because he was underrating Darth Maul with calling him like this way ;

On the other hand, Dooku was calling him ''great sith lord'' in TCW.

--3:07--

25. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    Marco1907 Labyrinth of Evil was written years before TCW came out. I think it is safe to assume that Luceno could not predict that they would revive a character clearly killed in the films in a show that came out long after his novel was written. At the time the novel was written, calling Darth Maul Sidious's glorified henchman was pretty accurate. If you can find a source that pre-dates TCW that shows Maul acting otherwise please show me.

Davak24, spicer and Force Smuggler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.