main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who's your team?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Avii, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Ray Lewis is a great football player, but he should be in jail...

And they're the real Browns.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Lifelong Steelers fan, hence why Mr. O'Donnell is in my Hell Banner.

I want to hate the Browns, but at this point I just feel sorry for them. So, I hate the original Browns, as they did really damage my second-favorite rivalry in sports.

3. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    That was sarcasm, right? Either way, McClain hit the nail right on the head.

And Inty, I'm confused & saddened by your Stealers love :(

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    There's an explanation as to why he's a Steelers fan (same goes for why Eeth, being the New Yorker that he is, root for the Cowboys). The difference? I remember the explanation for Eeth, I'm quite vague for Inty's reasons.

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

5. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I'm more of a college sports fan than pro, but here goes!

The only pro sport I really follow is the NFL, and my two teams are Carolina and Washington. I support the Panthers because I've lived in the Carolinas since I was 3 years old and still remember how stoked I was when I heard they were getting their own NFL team (I was in middle school at that time, for those keeping score at home). Washington is the family's team--I was born in that area, my parents grew up there, most of my extended family is still up there, and we're all die-hard, um...Skins.

And that brings me to a point of great awkwardness with my love for the Washington NFL team. I love them despite the fact that they have the most horrendously racist team name in all of sports. Seriously, people have no idea how offensive that term is to most Native Americans. It'd be like having an NFL team called the N-word. I have a Navajo friend who was attacked as a child by members of the KKK who called her a "redskin" as they stabbed her. We seriously need a new name. Anyway. That's why you'll always see me refer to them only as Washington and not use the R-word instead.
    [face_blush]

Oh, and I root for anyone who plays the Dallas Cowboys (all apologies to ASG). And I keep trying to turn the Falcons into the Panthers' rival, but I just can't summon up the hate for them that has been ingrained in me toward the Cowboys.

Also, TFN/JC seriously needs a multi-quote feature.

[face_sick]

[face_dancing] [face_cowboy]

You guys are right. That's NOT how conversations between you two (and me) are supposed to go!

@RJ: Where exactly is your girlfriend from? Most of my family is in Montgomery County, MD.

@Trika: Funny you say that about your dear mother. My mom (who is tragically deceased now) was such a die-hard Washington fan that at her funeral, we literally pinned a Washington button on her burgundy skirt right before closing the casket.

ASG can blame her for my undying hatred toward the Cowboys too. :p

So you like both the orange Ohio teams, eh? :p

And your Browns love explains the Ravens hate.

Weirdly enough, my brother's name is Derek Anderson--same spelling and everything. He pretended like he was accomplishing something special whenever the NFL Derek made a touchdown or something.

6. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Don't hate!!!!! :p

At least I was born, grew up, and still live in Dallas. I grew up on the Cowboys, and they're my team and for that I make no apologies. :)

Armen, Vin's love for the Cowboys goes back to his childhood. He's like the only fan in his family, most of them being diehard Giants fans. I know the Jets have always been his second favourite team, which once again kind of rubs the salt in his family's wounds inflicted by his love for the Cowboys. :)

Baltimore is kind of funny to me, as they did to Cleveland fans, what was done to them so many years before by Indianapolis. Stealing another city's team, tsk tsk tsk. [face_flag]

7. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    lol, my cousin's name is Sean Payton (exact same spelling as the Saints coach). We had to congratulate my cousin for winning the Super Bowl back in February.

8. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I guess I should point out that I also cheer for the Packers since I grew up in WI, but picked the Colts over them a long time ago since the Colts had a 'horsey' name. My bro's used to make fun of me cuz I could only name 1 player (Marshall Faulk) but then soon became enamored with Peyton. My mom and little brother are Cowboys fans, my older bro and his wife are Vikings fans, and my dad changes. He was a Raiders fan for years but he can't stand how the team is run right now so he's kinda switched to the Chargers (since they are in CA too).

I never grew up with the rule that you had to be a fan of the team where you lived so I don't understand when Tunick comes around and yells about these things. Though my family has moved around quite a bit so perhaps that's why. Mom used to live by Love Field so even though she grew up in WI and loves Bart Starr, she grew to love the Cowboys more.

When I lived in TX for some odd reason the tv stations played almost all of the Giants games so I spent a lot of time watching the other Manning but I'd pick the Packers to beat the Giants.

Anything college is Texas A&M as I went there or Wisconsin.

I'm flipping right now between the Sharks and the Avs. I live in Colorado, but my parents live in San Jose so I've been to games for both in recent years. I also watched Dany Heatley when he played for Wisconsin and he is now on the Sharks so I probably lean more towards the Sharks right now.

As a general rule I don't particularly like Baseball but that could be cuz the Cubs are in disarray right now. :p

I grew up going to Bucks games so I'd prolly pick the Bucks if I were forced to pick an NBA team, but I'm really just having a good time laughing at the NBA as a whole right now.

9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

It's not yelling.................I'm genuinely curious. I'm fascinated by how people pick their sports allegiances/how passionate they are for their teams.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

March 2010 and everything that's come out in regards to him, the rape allegations and other questionable off - field activty since then. If Ray Lewis should be in jail, then Big Ben should be awaiting an arraingment or a trial instead of just sitting at home waiting for his four game suspension to be up. I hate how the police botched that investigation and seriously if he suffers a season ending injury his first game back, I won't be sad about it.

11. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I fully believe that you develop your sports allegiance that is truly there not just on geography, but on memories. And, not just memories of what happens during the game, but why you are watching the game. Sitting next to dad on the couch and learning the game from him (albeit incorrectly in a lot of ways I would later learn) was hope I was raised on football. Dad grew up outside of Pittsburgh, hence why the whole family is a bunch of Steeler fans.

12. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I hope I didn't come off the wrong way by explaining that the Cowboys are my team, just because I live in Dallas. I totally understand that there are fans from other cities that prefer either another team, or don't have one themselves already. Not to mention people do relocate, and it shouldn't be expected for them to automatically turn their noses at the teams from where they came from, because they live somewhere with a different team now. I'm also not quick to label fans as jumping on the bandwagon. The only people I consider bandwagon fans, are ones that love a team when they're winning, and jump to another team if their team is losing. As long as you stick with your team through thick and thin, good times and bad, than it doesn't matter where you're rooting for them from.

I'm fortunate enough to have professional teams from the NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, and MLS. So, yeah I'm pretty much a homer when it comes to sports. I do however enjoy watching other teams as well, and I do have a few that I root for when they aren't playing one of my teams.

13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

That is very true. Though, in my case, my family has never moved out of the Southern Californian region (the biggest relocation of my life happened when I was 4 years old, when my family moved from my place of birth (Montebello, CA, which is next to East L.A.) to the San Fernando Valley), hence my strong homerism when it comes to the teams I root for. I also lucked out that much of my family, including my father (where a lot of my sports memories began) rooted for the Dodgers and Lakers. If they had been Clippers and Angels fans, I would have grown up with those allegiances. My ambivalence towards college sports and the NHL is due to the fact that nobody in my immediate family cared about it, so I never bothered to watch. In regards to the NFL, it was the same thing, so when the Raider and Rams left in 1994, I didn't think too much about it. I started to get angrier about as I got older, and began to follow the NFL (staring with Super Bowl XXXII, in which I rooted for Green Bay), little by little until the 2003 season, in which I began following the league every week during the season.

14. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Probably true...but Lewis was at least charged. But, yeah, Big Ben isn't a popular person in the 'Burgh right now...

15. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    [image=http://blogs.suburbanchicagonews.com/sportsbeacon/Mike%20Ditka.jpg]

I am also partial to the Niners because of Singletary :p

16. DarthSubZero

DarthSubZero Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    [image=http://www.sportsblink.com/product_images/miami-dolphins-golden-classic-commemorative-logo-helmet-case-3392163.jpg]

[image=http://espn.go.com/media/nfl/2001/0111/photo/s_marino_i.jpg] >>> any QB ever

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.