main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Whose Theme/Motif Is This? (AOTC)

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Twink_Kee, Sep 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twink_Kee

Twink_Kee Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 1, 2001
    Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I checked the thread index and saw nothing in particular relating to this piece of music.

Anyways, on the AOTC soundtrack, there is a specific passage of music that occurs twice. Its not same exact piece being reused, but rather two different versions of it. So I figure Williams intended it to be some kind of theme or motif.

You can hear it on track 6 :)00 to :47) and track 8 :)00 to 1:27).

Does anyone know (or at least can pretend they know) who or what this passage may belong to thematically?

I know Williams originally had a more developed theme for Padme for TPM, but it wasn't really used. Could this be a new theme he's created for her?

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Well, bearing in mind track 6 is called 'Anakin and Padme' and track 8 is 'The Meadow Picnic' starring Anakin and Padme, I guess it's 'Anakin and Padme's Theme' (like Luke and Leia's theme)

3. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I would agree that it is an "Anakin and Padme" motif, but, more specifically, I think it is mainly commenting on the flirtatious beginnings of their courtship.

It would be interesting to hear if JW transforms this little motif into something more tragic as the doomed nature of their relationship unfolds in Ep III.

4. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    It is a nice piece. It's like formal courtship music. Very innocent. Then when things get intimate, the love theme kicks in.

5. Twink_Kee

Oct 1, 2001
    Has he ever done that before in a compostion (create a seperate prelude piece)?

Don't really remember it happening in Star Wars. I know on a large scale you have Anakin's theme and then Vader's, but I don't know if I would count that (since they're almost two completely different characters).

With Yoda's theme, there is a little playful passage that sounds a little different from the rest of the song, but it is still part of his overall theme on the tracks.

I guess having two different "romance" themes would've made more sense if the movie weren't cut down as it were and the love story condensed.

6. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    beep. beep. <--- Songometer going off

7. Twink_Kee

Oct 1, 2001
    Oh, good grief. It was a simple mistake.

You could've at least helped by trying to answer the question.

8. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    A mistake... punishable by DEATH!

8-}

Has he ever done that before in a compostion (create a seperate prelude piece)?

He's done things like this before. For example, on the TPM: UE, the tracks "Talk of Podracing" and "The Queen Confronts Nute and Rune" begin with the same little sub-motif that acts as a sort of prelude in the same way that the "Anakin and Padme" motif works in AOTC.

Also, in many of the SW themes there are A-themes, such as the main melody of Yoda's theme or Across the Stars, but also B-themes, such as the playful passage in Yoda's theme or the more foreboding middle and end sections of ATS. Does this make sense?

And JW likes to mix things up a bit rather than simply state themes over and over again in the same way.

9. Fettster

Fettster Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 7, 2003
    I always just thought of it as the flirting theme. :p

10. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Oh, good grief. It was a simple mistake.

You could've at least helped by trying to answer the question.

Woah, steady on there, Tex! I was the first person to help you out here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.