main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Whose Training Remote was it? Han's or Obi-Wan's?????

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    So the training remote Luke uses for lightsaber practice on the Falcon, whose was it?

Before the prequels I thought it was Han Solo's. But in Episode 2 we see younglings using the same remotes for practice. Could the remote be Obi-Wan's and he was carrying it with him the entire time?

Any opinions? Does anyone know for sure?

2. chagrian_scavenger

chagrian_scavenger Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 17, 2015
    I don't know anything for sure, but I remember reading on Wookieepedia some time ago that it was Han Solo's, and that he kept it on the Falcon for target practice.
    I actually think it would make more sense if it was Kenobi's.

3. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    In the EU those were created for blaster shooting practice.

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    One of Brian Daley's Han Solo novels shows Han practicing with the remote before he ever met Kenobi.

sith_rhino and rumsmuggler like this.
  5. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I always figured it was Obi-Wan's when I was a kid. But thinking about it, Ben never brought a trunk with him on the Falcon, so I'm guessing it must've belonged to Han.[face_laugh]

6. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Logically, I would assume Obi-Wan's, but old EU material always said it was Hans, and that he used it for his quick draw. Honestly, I'm not sure who it belongs to now.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  7. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i always figurer it was kenobi's.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  8. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014

It's small enough, like grapefruit size, Obi-Wan could have had it in his robes. He could have kept it on the Landspeeder where Luke kept his poncho. So the only scene in the movie he'd have it on him is when they board the Falcon. Not sure that's what happened, but it leaves open a possibility Obi-Wan brought it with him.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  9. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Just for myself, I'm going to guess that Obi-Wan had it in his house and brought it with him. However, maybe Iron Lord has the latest info as to who this item's owner is now.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Databank doesn't say. Ultimate Star Wars says they're used by Jedi and sharpshooters to improve their skills.

So it falls into "not confirmed either way".

11. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    It's R2's

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    It is Obi-Wan's, it is clearly designed for light sabers practice, not blaster marksmanship.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    After a quick check - the newest junior novelization - released last month (A New Hope: The Princess, The Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy) specifically says that:

The kid had his lightsaber in his hands and was squaring off with a fist-sized seeker droid Han used for target practice.

Saga Explorer and MeBeJedi like this.
  14. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013

For that to work, Han's blaster would need a training laser mode, otherwise the trainer would be blown apart.

The training remote Luke uses in ANH looks just like the ones the younglings used in AOTC.

[​IMG]

15. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    In Han Solo at Star's End, there's a brief scene where Pakka is playing with the remote, trying to catch it while Blue Max controls its movements. Then, in Han Solo and the Lost Legacy, Han uses it to practice his quickdraw skills.

At that point, long before the EU as we know it existed, there hadn't been any authoritative word on who the remote belonged to, so Daley had an opening to claim it as Han's own.

By the way, as I understand it, the remote was originally conceived of as a "seeker", basically a robot that tracked down and executed criminals. Or, at least, so mentioned a caption for the McQuarrie concept painting of Luke in the cantina. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Saga Explorer, Iron_lord and Sarge like this.
  16. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Same here.

17. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    Neither, it was left behind on the Millennium Falcon by a previous owner, Han didn't even know it existed until Obi-Wan found it hidden away in a storage compartment. At least that is my personal cannon.

18. JediMasterSven

JediMasterSven Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    Maybe Obi-Wan picked it up at the store on the way to the Falcon?

19. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Han had it on-board, Obi Wan saw it and took the opportunity to give Luke a crash course in blast deflection.

20. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013
    Going by the films, the remote is a Jedi trainer.

21. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Just because Jedi were seen using them doesn't mean they were the only ones that used them.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  22. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013
    As the remote was presented in the films, I don't see how it could have been used for anything other than lightsaber training. It flys around shooting mild stun beams to deflect with a lightsaber. A blaster would blow it into bits with one shot and it lacks any kind of targets, just emitters for beams.

23. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    To me, it seemed like the remotes had a broad usage, and weren't for the exclusive task of training someone with a lightsaber (I love how it's used as a weapon in the Episode I game). Anyways, Obi-Wan's priorities would be really messed up if he took along such a device in the off-chance that him and Luke would have that much time to train. The biggest issue for me is that it's too big for Obi-Wan to just carry around without us noticing.
    To me, the scene was Obi-Wan making use of whatever equipment he could find on the ship to train Luke (the remote and the helmet).

Saga Explorer, Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  24. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I always figured it was Obi-Wan's. I never really thought about the logistics of how it was stored. But I just figured once Luke told Obi-Wan he wanted to learn to be a Jedi, maybe Obi-Wan pulled it out of storage from his hut and brought it with him, knowing it would be useful to train Luke.

25. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Ha! I always wondered this too!

Luke and Obi Wan were never shown returning to Obi Wan's hut, and I figure even off screen in a canon universe, it was too dangerous to stay a minute longer on Tattooine than necessary, so it couldn't have been Obi's. But I always thought, why would Han conveniently have that? You can say for target practice, but it doesn't seem like Han needs it, and what would be the purpose of it shooting back at the user?