main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Whose Training Remote was it? Han's or Obi-Wan's?????

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid, Oct 17, 2015.

1. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    The challenge of shooting the target and not getting hit by a stun beam would be the purpose.

2. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    So just to duck and roll hoping to avoid the shot? Like I guess it kinda makes sense, just doesn't seem like something Han would own considering he relies on luck to get by.

3. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Han has skill along with his luck.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    That's correct, and I believe the seeker ball / remote was the actual inspiration for the Death Star concept from an in-universe point of view.

IIRC, the original Marvel adaptation of ESB featured at least one scene with Luke on Dagobah (same as the novelization) where Luke excercised with remotes / seeker balls which would then seem to be typical Jedi equipment.

Besides, if these remotes belonged to Han Solo, why would he mock training with remotes?

"Good against remotes that's one thing, good against the living...?"

5. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Han's more mocking the idea that blocking remote blasts is enough. He knows from hard experience that practice is no substitute for real experience, and he has both.

6. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    I have always assumed it was Obi-Wan's.

7. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
    I hope he used some kind of lubricant.

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  8. MonkeyHouse143

MonkeyHouse143 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2015
    It still could have been designed for use with a lightsaber and Han just obtained one at a junk/parts shop and decided to use it for target practice. Maybe the Jedi had thousands of them manufactured and some made it into second hand markets after their extermination.

9. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    It's a possibility.

10. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    supposedly it's still on the falcon...

rumsmuggler likes this.
  11. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    The scene works best as an ad hoc lightsaber training exercise devised by Kenobi on the fly. I wouldn't even say Han had it for target practice--most likely it was a weapon.

My vote goes to Han.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  12. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    I re-read parts of Rinzler's Making of yesterday and in the early drafts the seeker balls / remotes were a weapon of a Force user (though more like intelligent grenades seeking enemies).

I therefore assume at least the one we saw belonged to Ben, he would have probably used it as a distraction should his mind trick with the sandtroopers not have worked.

13. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    The better question is: why would Han need a blast shield? He doesn't have the Force, and I'm sure he'd like to see his opponents as they're shooting at him.

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    My speculation on the "blast shield": Han added a very heavily tinted visor to an old flight helmet so he could use it as a welding mask; it blocks out all normal light and only lets in a little bit of light from dangerously intense sources, like arc welders.

If anyone has a more believable suggestion, let's hear it.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  15. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    That works just fine for me.

16. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It's Han's, unless he just so happened to keep Obi-Wan's for three and a half decades. Finn picks it up while searching for some items on the Falcon

cubman987 and Dinos4Ever like this.
  17. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Yeah I noticed that too.

18. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Same here but it's still inconclusive, IMHO. Luke didn't have a home or a lot of belongings after ANH, so I'm pretty certain that the Falcon was his home for a long time.

19. ZombieSnake57

ZombieSnake57 Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2015
    The training remotes seem pretty common. It makes more sense that it would be Han's. I don't really see Ben carrying around a training remote on the off chance that they might get to use it. More likely (to me anyway) that Han would hang on to it in case he got searched and needed a distraction. Han was a pretty crafty smuggler and even if the remote was originally designed as a Jedi training tool Han would still find a good use for it.

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  20. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Luke's home was wherever the rebels are at any point in time. I still say it's Han's, but Luke has free reign to use it whenever.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

21. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014

Except Ben just gave Luke a lightsaber, so he's probably planning to train Luke the first chance he gets. It would make sense for Ben to take the training remote with him when he leaves his house for the last time.

22. Filar-Nitzan

Filar-Nitzan Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2016
    I always thought that it was clearly Han Solo's. My question is that why would Han Solo have a training remote designed to be used with a lightsaber. The only satisfactory answer that I can think of was that training remotes used by the Jedi like light sabers became valuable collectors items after the empire came to power. But than that answer begs the question why didn't Han sell the training remote considering he had a large debt to pay off to Jabba the Hutt.

23. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    Han Solo is a smuggler after all. I wouldn't be surprised if Training Remotes were legally declared contraband under Imperial rule.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Training remotes can be used for multiple purposes, for Jedi and anyone else who wants to buy one. And the one seen on the Falcon belongs to Solo.

Jedi Knight Fett and Sarge like this.
  25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Right, and in one of Brian Daley's Han Solo novels, Han was using his remote as a target to practice his quick-draw shooting skills.

BigAl6ft6 and rumsmuggler like this.