main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why 30 years into the future?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by The Supreme Chancellor, Dec 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    While Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher both have great performances..they both look like their in their 80s...and that's WITH makeup and special effects. Mark Hamill looks okay for his age, but that ties into the story as you would assume that Jedi don't age as quickly as muggles. Let's get some consistency here, why couldn't the writers have placed the new trilogy 40-50 years in the future? I mean, according to the official timeline Leia is supposed to be 53 in this film! This is kind of like the descrepancy with Qui-Gon in TPM and Obi-Wan in ANH being about the same age despite Obi-Wan looking 20 years older (and the lame excuse that he was aged by the Tatooine suns).

2. Argalin

Argalin Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    1983-2015 = 32 years.

3. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Ford looks incredible for a dude who is 73. Carrie though? Yeah she looks rough. Tough life.

Allana_Rey and B99 like this.
  4. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    I suppose you've never seen an 80 years old person, because Harrison and Carrie look nothing like that.

The Big 3 are in good shape, and all of them are playing characters who are younger than them.

5. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I almost wished they would have set the ST 100 years into the future, if the story unfolds as I fear it will be. Such a desolate galactic state would have been more plausible with such a time gap. Luke could have still appeared as a force ghost and Han/Leia with a cameo like hologram finding by one of the protagonists. [face_sigh]

6. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Yeah with 24/7 access to the internet it's virtually impossible to have access to images of a specific age group:rolleyes:

Force22 likes this.
  7. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001

I almost wished you had made that movie... would have been so much better [face_relieved]

8. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Pretty much this.

MattOrgana likes this.
  9. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    I'm not sure you've researched properly.

jaqen likes this.
  10. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I guess Kylo Ren could have been 40 then?

The timeline works for me.

11. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    FAMILY-FRIENDLY WEBSITE DUDE

12. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    If googling is research then I am quite the experienced scholar.

13. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Read a little history. The allies won a great victory over the German Empire in 1918. Less than 20 years later, the Third Reich rises and we have the beginnings of WWII. Honeslty that kind of imagry is all over this movie, and it is perfectly plausible, becuase some very much like it actually happened.

14. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I'm from Germany and familiar with this history. o_O

btk2333 and DaddlerTheDalek like this.
  15. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Blame whoever for not making the Star Wars films we wanted to see in the years after Jedi. That's why we've got a 30 year gap.

Tanjint, Artoo-Dion and Granger like this.
  16. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    That's just how SW movies are sometimes. Lol.

17. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    To be honest I think the time setting of the film is one of the biggest own goals/challenges. If you're not going to have the main 3 OT characters reunite together, I question the narrative reason to have the story take place in their lifetime... because all it does it create narrative inconsistencies (which are hard to avoid) when setting it so close to the OT. My view is that it either should have been set shortly after ROTJ (which obviously would be impossible to do some 30 years later), or just set it 100/200 years after the OT. And setting it 100/200 years after the OT would have given them (Abrams/Kasdan et al) a cleaner slate, and I think it would have made some of the 'in world' logic of it, more logical.

18. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I honestly think that one of the reasons they didn't make Rey the daughter of Han and Leia was that they didn't want to drag Ford and especially Fisher along. For the case of Ford, you can't have the fan favorite character stealing the show every movie and having him save the day every single time. With Fisher, it's probably just rough dragging her along too much.

As for Hamill, that's very difficult to say since we haven't seen him act. Rumors state that he wasn't quite up to what they would want for a bigger role in TFA yet. He looks more like 60 only because Hamill IS 60, but Luke's character is a little younger. (not that it matters-Guiness was older than what the PT set Obi-Wan up to be for ANH).

As for uniting the OT3? Maybe they'll find away. It will take some plot stretching but they will probably find away. Could be that we end with Rey looking at the Force ghosts of Luke and Leia (and possibly her mother). Just don't know how they can do that for Ford and make it believable though.

19. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    My problem is, it feels like the Luke storyline is far too simple to fill the time gap.

He tried to train a new order. One of his students turned to the dark side, killed others. Luke went into exile.

That's it? That took, what, 32 years? OK, but in the Force flashback where Ren is standing there with his posse, he's a full-grown man. And Adam Driver was, in fact, born in 1983, making him exactly the right age to have been born soon after ROTJ. So if Ben Solo was the one who turned, doesn't that still give Luke at least 15 to 18 years of training his NJO, maybe more, before Ben is old enough to pose an existential threat?

And doesn't that also mean R2 has been in sleep mode for maybe 10 years?!

The Luke story just feels so slow and stretched-out.

20. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    This is "Supremely" (excuse the pun) ageist, and superficial (and shows your age, knowing you are a self-admitted Millenial [who thinks that the generations before you didn't do what you think you're doing about the environment and war]).

Harrison Ford looks every bit his 73, but is in the general shape of a 60-year old physically. Aside from some accidents on set, and not being able to run as fast as he did as a young man...he's in GREAT shape (he runs all the time in his personal life).

Fisher was ravaged by a life of drug and alcohol addiction and other issues over the years, and not only got into shape to play Leia again, but had long since cleaned up her life too (with a successful comedy act about that life). She also doesn't look like she's in her 80's though...that's a crappy statement. Not every woman in her 60's looks like Helen Mirren...and you know what? There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Can we let older people look and be their age without coming down on them for it? Can we also maybe take into account the life story of a woman who Hollywood ravaged with its vices?

You're literally nitpicking age differences in a Hollywood movie. Guess what chuckles? All those TV shows you watch about young teens and angst ....almost universally played by people in their 20's....shows about people in their 20's....played by people in their 30's. Hell, in the original Beverly Hills 90210, the actress who played Andrea...was 40. FORTY, played an 18 year old.

If they tried to cast for age specifics of the actors playing the characters, they'd never cast anything properly or well.

21. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    why do you get so butthurt over everything calm down man. There is nothing ageist about calling out people that look old.

22. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    1. Oh look, a millennial buzzword (butthurt) in place of actual english sentences of rebuttal. Charming!
    2. Perhaps you ought to look up ageist, and what it entails.
    3. You literally disparaged two (almost three) actors from the OT for their LOOKS and ages...and I'm the one who's offsides for pointing out how ridiculous that is? or how ageist? I'm sorry everyone can't be young, bearded, hipster Pabst-blue ribbon drinkers...but here we are.

If Maggie Smith were here, she'd offer you a SEAT son.

23. btk2333

btk2333 Jedi Knight

Oct 30, 2012

They don't look 80 - I could only wish my 80 year old grandparents looked as good as the ot actors

24. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Well, bear in mind Luke probably didn't open the doors on his Jedi Academy (or whatever it was) the day after the smoke cleared on Endor. He might very well have felt like he had more to learn before he was ready to teach (not to mention going out and actually finding candidates), and so it all could have still been fairly new when Kylo Ren destroyed it.

It seems clear that Luke didn't quite get to the point of teaching anyone to full Jedi-hood, so that (to me) implies the new class of Jedi students was a fairly short-lived affair overall.

Also the "Kylo and the Knights of Ren in the rain" bit of the vision may NOT have been the murder of the Jedi students. It certainly wasn't meant to be in the original script, by all indications.

25. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Yeah, this thread won't last long. Half the people here are in clear violation of the board rules that say not to talk disparagingly about the actor's age, looks or assumed habits.

Just another barely veiled, ageist "lets bash Carrie, Harrison and Mark for not staying young" thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.