main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why 30 years into the future?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by The Supreme Chancellor, Dec 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    As a millennial, I take great offense to your disparaging Pabst Blue Ribbon. Best $1 beer on the market. :p

Lord Nikon likes this.
  2. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

[​IMG]

She wasn't 40, she was 29 playing 16, but that made me laugh out loud.

Lord Nikon and MattOrgana like this.
  3. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    a) Because it's been 32 years since ROTJ and Hammil, Fisher and Ford look 30 years older
    b) to tell a new story directly linked to the OT without being a direct sequel to the events of ROTJ
    end thread

4. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I wonder if people who are ageist ever stop and realize that, if you keep on living, you too eventually will grow old.

It's like one human being making fun of another human being for being a human being.

5. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I agree. We have family friends in their early 80s and Ford and Fisher look nothing like that. Both look good for their age and in Ford's case even has a younger wife (Calista Flockhart) and a young kid and is still very active. The Qui-Gonn and Obi-Wan thing is a bit tough to swallow but I do buy the Tatooine reason. It's not exactly Coruscant.

MattOrgana likes this.
  6. GeneralOrgana

GeneralOrgana Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    its very frustrating to see so many people harken on the physical changes of the OT3. They've aged, so what? They've aged because, believe it or not, time didn't stop when the credits to RotJ started to roll. Time has gone on and they lived it. They are human beings. They've had ups and downs. Life takes a toll on you, eventually.... No one is young forever.

It's equally as frustrating that people assume they aren't up to the task of portraying their characters just because they have lived a little longer and can't run quite as fast. They are all still actors, in one way or another each one of them makes their livelihood from performing. And by all accounts in VII, they did a fine job.

Not to mention that I actually LIKE how their characters now appear lived-in. It's very emotional, really, to see the ravages of a lifetime of war and discontent affect these fictional people in a very real way. Why should we expect fictional characters to remain unchanged from the beginning to end of their life, when their nonfictional counter-parts never do? Looks change, voices change, posture changes, demeanor changes. We aren't statues and neither are Luke, Han, and Leia.

For the record, I'm a 22 year old "millennial," so I'm tired of people using that as an excuse or scape-goat for some individuals' warped perspective and -to be frank- lack of courtesy. It's not a generational flaw. It's a personal one.

7. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Makes me think of something Spalding Gray said in a monologue: "Everyone knows they're going to die but nobody believes it."

Skellybobs, MattOrgana and jaqen like this.
  8. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    This is one of the best posts I've ever read on this board.

It should be required reading.

9. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    Omg. I think each planet runs under their own time.
    Who knows how many month per year in each planet.
    Them Han Solo was mostly the time in the space and he did not get older so much.
    It's just a movie.

Skellybobs and RDeckard like this.
  10. RDeckard

RDeckard Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    This is the easiest answer. No reason to be worried about it. People age.

30 year is far enough away to have a new, self contained trilogy to begin.

11. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    The OT characters still have a lot to contribute. I hope they put Lando Callrisian in episode VIII.

12. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    This has nothing to do with age or a specific number.
    They really, really, wanted to make ANH remake so they went for the actors and eventually did get the several of them.

13. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Because the OT characters need a followup. It's sad to see them age, but Lucas didn't make a sequel trilogy when he had the chance to.

Skellybobs likes this.
  14. RDeckard

RDeckard Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Surely you can't be serious.

MattOrgana likes this.
  15. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Why would it be "sad" to see them age? That's life.

Star Wars isn't ageist. Never has been. A 60 something Alec Guiness served a crucial part in the original Star Wars; Luke's main force teacher was a wrinkled, nearly 1,000 year old creature; unmasked Darth Vader was played by a man pushing 80. Fast forward nearly 20 years and George Lucas' universe is rife with elder characters kicking major ass in the Prequels.

Nevermind the fact that, by design, there are decades between III and IV.

Nevermind his early ideas saw an OVER 60 Luke Skywalker return to pass the torch on.

No, George Lucas was never afraid to show aged characters who played crucial roles in his universe. This isn't a lesson from the top down. This brand of nonsense begins, and ends, with anybody who thinks there's something inherently wrong with getting older.

It seems that Star Wars fans could stand to take a few pages from the Star Trek fandom.

16. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Every trilogy has a gap from one to the next.

Why is this a question?

17. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Perhaps the great irony of this thread? Lucas always wanted to make sure the original actors looked OLD enough to fulfill his ST vision:

“The sequels, the three movies that would follow Jedi, are considerably vaguer. Their main theme will be the necessity for moral choices and the wisdom needed to distinguish right from wrong. There was never any doubt in the films already made; in those the lines were sharply drawn, comic-book-style. Luke, who will then be the age Obi-Wan Kenobi is now, some place in his 60s, will reappear, and so will his friends, assuming that the creator decides to carry the epic further. Hamill and the others will get first crack at the roles—if they look old enough.”

TIME Magazine, May 1983

18. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    lmaaaoo there are so many racists on the internet it's refreshing to see a new form of hate against...millennials?

But yeah they look old. And Toydarians are ugly. Move on with your life.

Because it ends with a....?. Now why did you question that question?

19. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    But you still didn't answer the question….did you? :p

20. TooMuchBBQ

TooMuchBBQ Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2014
    Yup, Carrie Fisher is 59, Mark Hamill is 64...so yeah not completely out of line that Leia is supposed to be 53 or whatever.

"It's not the years, it's the mileage"

21. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    You're just trolling at this point. Obviously don't care that you're breaking board rules with each new post.

Lord Nikon and MattOrgana like this.
  22. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Someone needs to report this to the mods.

Hey mods…hello?

MattOrgana likes this.
  23. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Mark and Harrison have always been several years older than Luke and Han; nothing new there. Carrie and Leia have always been close in age, and still are; Leia should be about 53/54 and Carrie was 57 when she shot TFA.

Why this would be an issue with anyone nearly 40 years after the casting is beyond me.

24. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    The key with the actors is for them to play their age and for the writers to write for their age (within context of a fantasy film). Ford was pretty good, as always, and I'm sure Hamill will be great.

Skellybobs likes this.
  25. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Just a reminder that bashing an actor based on their looks is not allowed in this forum. This thread is walking a fine line, let's stay on the correct side of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.