1. A Message For Everyone:

TCW vs. Rebels debates are not allowed in the Television forum. As in, discussions that descend into TCW/Rebels bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Contrasting the themes, story lines, characters, etc. between the shows is allowed (welcomed, even). "Versus" debates/arguments, however, are a deal-breaker.

Why a hundred episodes of more Clones?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by Galactica500, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galactica500 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm reading Shatterpoint now and loving it. I own the original Clone Wars cartoons. Love them. The whole Clone era is so well documented and continues to be in EU fiction. Why is there another series about the Clone wars? I mean we will NEVER get to see Ventress die will we? Hey, I'll watch it but what does Lucas think is there left to mine story wise?
  2. -polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 4
    Perhaps he is banking on the fact that the clone wars spanned the entire galaxy and that what we have seen so far has been strictly limited to certain themes and story arcs. This is an opportunity for him to clarify and expand the mythology of the clone wars and to continue making politically relevant commentary on the abrogration of freedoms in favor of illusory security.

I also think he doesn't want to screw with the OT and the stories surrounding that trilogy. Last time he did that (Holiday Special) he botched it quite significantly. I imagine he might be thinking, if I keep tinkering with the PT and those stories, maybe I'll get it right.
  3. Alpha-Red Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hmmm, I haven't read the comics, but I still think there's plenty more to look at. Besides, there's not much more we can look at. Post-ROTJ you have Luke as the sole Force-user left in the galaxy, and without Darth Vader or the Emperor there isn't anything up until the Yuuzhan Vong that really makes for anything worth depicting. The KOTOR era probably wouldn't work either, since the most interesting main characters have already been taken up by the games and comics.
  4. redxavier Jedi Master

star 4
    They are planning 100 episodes of the live action series, not the Clones one.

Just to clear that up.
  5. G-FETT Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    There seems to be a lot of confusion about this comment. One series will have one hundred episode's and the other will have one hundred TV hours, I think? But I can't remember which one both of those applies to?
  6. smudger9 Jedi Master

star 3

My take on the clone wars era is that there is a lot of good EU stuff out there but that it is all fragmented. I'm looking forward to this series in the hope that it pulls the important EU stuff plus some new stuff together into a clear sequence of events, hopefully right upto and including the end of the clone wars, which was disgracefully glossed over in ROTS.
  7. -polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 4
    What is known is that at least one series will give us a lot more clones than we have heretofore had.
  8. MN_JEDI Jedi Youngling

star 2
    The new animated series it just fine for people like me, in that I don't care about novels and comics that other people write (not GL)and I think the CW cartoons are silly. At first I thought they were cool but now I find them to be quite cringy at many points and too saturday morning-kiddy cartoonish. I don't like the OTT Grevious or the "shorts" style of storytelling either. So I welcome this full length series that has high production value and apparently SW movie ambiance with a story arc overseen by GL himself. I think this series will do justice to the CW era and I hope it spans from the earily years up to ROTS. IMO that would be perfect.

Honestly, I don't understand how any fans are complaining about this series simply because of when it takes place. I mean the SW movies are done and we should feel very lucky to be getting not one, but two full length TV series. So far the series looks really cool so people should give it a chance before saying there is nothing left to do for the CW because apparently there is and they're doing it now. It's a good time to be a fan.[face_peace]
  9. -polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 4
    You're right, MN. I for one am grateful for all the "new" SW I can get. I love the ideas for the two series and I hold out great hope as to their quality. However, I can understand that with the diminished quality of the PT compared to the OT, there could be some concerns. Plus, there are lots of stories out there to be told in the canon of the SW universe and it is somewhat curious that those new angles are not being explored. Don't get me wrong, the clone wars works just fine for me...but there are other eras that could be developed.
  10. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I think one of the earlier comments nailed it- though we have a few portions of the clone wars timeframe covered well in the comics, novels and cartoon, it's fragmented. There wasn't a cohesive arc to the whole war, so there's an opportunity to bind the era and those various comcis and novels together into a better structure with this series, while at the same time telling new stories in the large gaps that haven't really been covered yet in any source.
  11. Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod

star 7
    ^I agree.

Furthermore, the majority of the Clone Wars EU so far centers around Obi-Wan, Anakin, and to a lesser extent, Quinlan Vos. I, for one, am curious to see how they'll make use of the other characters.
  12. Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod

star 7
    That does not sound like something I said, fiend who hacks into my theforce.net account!
  13. vong333 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well the cartoon series will be 100 episodes (give or take), and the live action will be 100 clock hours. I have to agree with the above comments, I for one did love the previous animation, the novels, the comic books, the video games, and the short stories that centerd on the clone wars. But, it was centered on Obi-Wan, Anakin, Mace, Yoda, and Vos. With this new series, we will get a very cohesive storyline that will add a lot to the star wars mythology. Though, despite the movie quality, the digital high def, in the end, it will not be suffice. Just look at the above comments: Why more? What could you add? Do people really care about more clone wars, when we already know the ending of it with ROTS? Those are the questions that only time will tell, and good looking spruce up animation, and a movie serious Grevious wouldn't take it,
  14. smudger9 Jedi Master

star 3
    =D= =D= =D=
  15. PerfectCell Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The Clone Wars is a time full of so many events that there will always be stuff left to talk about or show on screen. Personally I'm a littl;e leary of anytime Lucas decides to toss his hands into established EU time periods, but that's my only real trepidtation in regards to this series.
  16. Blackout Jedi Master

star 4
    Absolutely :)
    Using the 'seen it before/know how it ends' logic, then Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan would never have been made.
    Although Pearl Harbour is the perfect counter to that one :p

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  17. Dussan Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Personally I think the EU needs a dose of Lucas every now and again.
  18. Robimus Jedi Master

star 5
    Yeah the live action is the hundred episode series(thats probably five full seasons). I'm somewhat looking forward to the animated series as well. The trailer shows Ventriss so it looks like we may get to see her story to its conclusion if nothing else.
  19. dizfactor Jedi Knight

star 5
    That's possible if they decide to blatantly overwrite established canon, but we've seen her through to the end of the Clone Wars in continuity already.
  20. Robimus Jedi Master

star 5
    Maybe I'm a little out of touch on Ventriss then. When was the last official time we saw her? I could have missed something in a comic. Last I heard she was atained the rank of commander in the seperatist army. Help me out, what did I miss?
  21. MN_JEDI Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Don't be surprised if they overwrite/overlap canon here. I really doubt that they are going to limit her apperences around what was in the cartoons and comics etc. Most of the general audience of the new show will not be EU versed and for it to be good story telling the show will see her through from introduction to conclusion.

Seriously, the most important part of her role is hunting down and confronting Anakin, which has already been covered by the EU to some extent. How could they do anything interesting with her character for the new show and not revisit her? They may just expand on her, but either way it will overlap some of what is already out there.

Don't get to cozy with your CW cartoons just yet. THE Clone Wars show will take presidence over them if there is conflict and that's fine by me. We know they've been refered to as tests anyways. What I'm wondering is if they will incorporate material from the books, overwrite material or avoid them all together. This will be interesting to see.[face_thinking]
  22. dizfactor Jedi Knight

star 5
    There were a number of stories after that point, but the big points are these:

* She dueled Anakin again on Coruscant. She taunted him by saying he played with the Dark Side, but didn't understand its true power. She cut his face, giving him the scar you see in ROTS, and threatened to kill Padme (he had been admiring a hololocket of her when she attacked). He went completely sickhouse on her, using the Dark Side of the Force to choke/strangle/crush her with these thick cables which were live with electricity and then flinging her broken and electrocuted body off the side of a building.

[image=http://images2.wikia.com/starwars/images/thumb/7/70/Electriccables.JPG/175px-Electriccables.JPG]

* Obi-Wan refused to believe she was dead, hunted her all over the galaxy.

* Eventually, he found her in a bacta tank on Boz Pity during the Battle of Boz Pity just before ROTS. She fought Kenobi and Skywalker, but was betrayed and abandoned by Dooku, who had one of the MagnaGuards shoot her in the back so she wouldn't delay his escape.

* She appeared to be redeemed as she lay dying, and she warned Kenobi to protect the center - meaning Coruscant. They loaded her body onto a medical shuttle along with the wounded Alpha, who was apparently paralyzed from the waist.

* She woke up and took over the medical ship, telling the pilot to go as far away from the war as he possibly could.

So, basically, she seemed to be redeemed, or at least to have seriously rethought her life, and went into hiding at the end of the Clone Wars, along with a paraplegic Alpha.

I wouldn't be entirely, and I wouldn't be especially upset about it. I'm just saying that there's already a canon ending to her story, so it's not like a gap that needs to be filled.
  23. Robimus Jedi Master

star 5
    Thanks, I didn't realize she already was that developed. Maybe they should just let her rest then.
  24. MN_JEDI Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I think many people would like to see her well developed visually on screen. Many don't read or care about the books and CW cartoons were to short to learn anything interesting about her character other than the fact that she is a force user.

The new issue of the SW magazine has an interview with a producer and director of the new show. Looks like it's in good hands.
    http://www.starwars.com/community/fanclub/mag/news20070720.html
  25. Galactica500 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I've really been digging into the Clone Wars TPB's (Loving them!). Now although it represents the War in spirts and in no moment to moment way the show may be going for it is really a lush and full history for our main characters and peripherals. (though Ventress has had far more attention than Padme'.)
    It doesn't make sense to me for Lucas to write over EU stuff. How can he not? But what kind of tip toeing will he have to do if he adheres to the first cartoons, novels, and comics? I'm not sure Lucas could do the actual Clone Wars as well as Dark Horse did anyhow.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.