Why A New Hope is different from the rest

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Carnotaur3, Aug 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Knight

star 3
    " The Battle of Yavin
    * The anthology track from ANH comtains many portions of unused music. Merely re-incorporate those into the film and it would be fine."
    Huh?

ANH has less score, this is true...but not to it's detriment....

TtBk

2. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    Star Wars is my favorite score of the six. The film was very well-spotted, whereas the others just had wall-to-wall music. Musical silence can be effective!
  3. Indiana_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    That one was great!
  4. Carnotaur3 Jedi Knight

star 3
  5. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    That was certainly over-dramatized.
  6. Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Knight

star 3
    Carnotaur3, great mixes. The Duel worked well in some spots, not in others. The opening, for example- The fight just wasn't fast enough. However, the talking/second clash worked amazingly. The 'didn't we just leave this party' didn't fit too well, but the rest, including 'come on, we're going' worked great. Altogether, I think the fight would have to be CG-ed to get the music to fit especially well, not to mention that the music has an epic feel that the scene doesn't. (I keep picturing a CG Alec Guiness- or made-up Ewan Mcgregor- and CG Vader leaping and flipping around the catwalks of the tractor beam shaft, maybe fighting in front of a huge power core, etc. jumping and flipping, and leaping... and then all of a sudden they reach this hanger bay and the fighting REALLY slows down. I don't know if it's in GL's head, but it might be fun to see... although clearly heresy against the OT.;))

The hut was great. Anakin's theme seems to take the focus off of Obi-wan and Luke a bit too much thematically, but musically it sounded great, and the 'betrayed and murdered you father' part was great.

All in all, I really liked these. I could see the potential for re-doing this kind of thing... if JW can pull off the 'old style' for a more seamless integration.
  7. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Can't we just leave ANH alone? The music is absolutely perfect for the film. We don't need to go around slaughtering wonderful scenes with boorish renditions of out-of-place themes just because they make nice bookends. Lets just try not to get into musical anachronisms, PLEASE!
  8. Carnotaur3 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I only started with Anakin's theme at the beginning because they were talking about his father at the start of the scene.
  9. Zaphod_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have this to say about 'Ben's Hut': Beautiful, Carnotaur3. You should e-mail that to Lucas, see if he can have JW do that for the next DVD release. I'm downloading 'The Duel' even as I write this.

EDIT: 'The Duel' is 68% downloaded, so I haven't seen it yet. But I noticed that the original music in the scene 'Ben's Hut' (with the exception of the beginning and end) is not audible at all. How'd you do that? It certainly sounds fitting for the scene. Once again, good job!
  10. Carnotaur3 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I just messed around ;)

Thanks for your input, good sir.
  11. Zaphod_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, I saw 'The Duel' that you did, and agree with what someone else has said (i forget who): the duel is simply too slow in its current incarnation to work with other music. It was still interesting to watch, though. I hope to see more!

BTW, ANH isn't the only SW movie missing leitmotifs introduced in I-III and not heard again until ESB or RotJ. ESB is missing the Emperor's Theme (which should play in the Hologram scene), and RotJ is missing Across the Stars (which could play when Luke asks Leia about her mother).
    Once, I did an 'experiment', as I called it: I paused the RotJ soundtrack, disc 1, track 8, at about 0:41. I put on the Hologram scene (as it is on the DVD), and hit 'play' on the soundtrack just before Vader said, "What is thy bidding, my Master?" The music fit almost perfectly, better than the original music, and lent it an ominous aura that is considered to be lacking in the DVD edition. You should try it, and see if you can post it up here.

I would like to see what the aforementioned scene between Luke and Leia is like w/ Across the Stars; but alas, I don't have the soundtrack for either TPM or AotC. Could you do some 'experimenting' with that? THX!!1!1!38!!
  12. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    Across the Stars in "Brother and Sister?" Surely that would squeeze the last drop of life out of the poor, underused Luke and Leia theme. Besides, it's unclear if Leia is even talking about Padme, or her adoptive mother.
  13. Indiana_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    I've been thinking about doing that, but with Death Warrant for Gui-Gon and Obi-Wan.
  14. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Wow, this is so cool. I hope Lucas replaces all the OT music with PT music! :)
  15. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    The PT music is cool, but it sounds a little outdated. RotS was an improvement, because it featured "Padme's Ruminations" and those big, fifty-foot-boulders-in-an-avalanche-off-Mt. Everest-style bass drums at the beginning. I also liked the bass drums overdubbed into "Anakin vs. Obi-Wan." They increased the duel's proportions to epic levels. Imagine inserting those drums into the ESB duel music. And a huge gong crash with drums when Vader reveals he is Luke's father! Speaking of revising ESB, the love theme needs an adjustment. It isn't as dark as Across the Stars. Maybe if they added a sad female vocalist to the love scenes, they would have an eerier quality. Needless to say, Duel of the Fates (juxtaposed with Battle of the Heroes) needs to appear at least once in all the lightsaber duels... Also, what was with that happy-go-lucky music on Jabba's Sail Barge when the heroes were escaping? Come to think of it, that music features in practically every ANH track. It all needs to go... Hrmmmm, maybe Metallica could come up with something.
  16. Carnotaur3 Jedi Knight

star 3

I think I will soon, thanks.

For those who got unlucky and got to them when the files expired, I'll be making some more files of them soon, and I'll try rapid share this time.
  17. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Cerrabore, OMG I completely agree with u~! LOL that would be soo cool, maybe they should get rid of that stupid Imperial march all together and replace it with BoTH every time! LoL how cool!!11!1one.

And also something else maybe that awful music when luke is looking at the suns in ANH could be replaced by something more original, like maybe the celebration at the end of TPM? What are your thoughts please reply, kthnxbye. :)
  18. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    Cerrabore, OMG I completely agree with u~! LOL that would be soo cool, maybe they should get rid of that stupid Imperial march all together and replace it with BoTH every time! LoL how cool!!11!1one.

I disagree. If anything, the Imperial March should be used more. It's the Imperial theme - that awful little motif from ANH that needs to go. As does the Jawa motif. Hell, everything exclusive to ANH, all that Romantic-style bull**** needs to go. I like modern music. Rock on!
  19. Indiana_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    It's obvious you guys are making fun of the new users who think that DotF and BotH belongs in the ANH and RotJ duels, but I think some music could be redone, for continuity's sake, although I'd rather hear new peices recorded, rather than tracked music.
  20. Carnotaur3 Jedi Knight

star 3
    The sarcasm in here is... staggering.
  21. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I disagree. If anything, the Imperial March should be used more. It's the Imperial theme - that awful little motif from ANH that needs to go.

While I agree, surely you realise that the reason John Williams played down the Imperial march in the prequels is because he saw it as outdated 70s music and wanted to replace it?
  22. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    The Imperial March wasn't recorded until 1980. :p

And not very subtle sarcasm guys. I've had enough.
  23. Indiana_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    Didn't Williams say he was going to write a new peice for ANH containing Imperial March?
  24. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I don't think so. If you can find the interview, I'd be very interested.

(just for anyone playing along at home, there was no sarcasm in that post, nor will there be anymore, sorry GenK)
  25. Carnotaur3 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well, I think it was a rumor back when they were talking about putting the OT on DVD. Just an early rumor at that. If it was true, it was probably just a thought.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.