main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why A New Hope is different from the rest

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Carnotaur3, Aug 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zarm_Rkeeg

Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2003
    Ye gods... what hath been unleashed? The duel seems to be lacking a little something, but... the ANH is still THE ANH MUSIC, for crying out loud! Sure, it doesn't have the Imperial March, but it has an adventureous and bombastic feel that all of the other movies seem to lack. A sort of raw, edge-of-the-action feel with the brass fanfares that makes the rest of the OT feel cool and reserved... isolated from the emotional core of the action, as it were. Fortunately, the stellar quality of the ESB and ROTJ music makes up for this- but don't talk to me about neutering ANH to this same style as well... for heavens sake, leave it be, GL! Let the fans remix if they want to, but don't touch the masterpiece score that started it all!!!

In conclusion, the Ties Attack cue rocks. Thank you, and good night.

2. nk1114

nk1114 Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2005
    can someone repost the bens hut and duel scene again plz??

3. the-shrude-dude

the-shrude-dude Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2005
    less music mainly cuz less budget guys - sorry.

I think ANH is perfect in the music dept - although the recordings a little small , but it was late '76 !!

Dont you think that ROTS is similar - there are some real nice spaces without music - noticed this a lot!

4. skyy38

skyy38 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2003
    Just for fun,I wrote a music cue for ANH when the rebels are getting into their ships on Yavin's 4th Moon.
    It starts just after R2 beeps a reply to 3PO while he's being hoisted into Lukes X-Wing.
    I orchestrated with low strings and brass-It's quasi reminiscent of "Imperial Attack"-I think.
    Towards the end of the cue,Lukes theme is partially quoted in a minor key and then Bens theme (last half of measure 3 and first half of measure 4 of a typical "Force Theme" arrangement)is heard just before you hear Bens voice in the movie.It was very good practice,even though it took me about an hour to do the whole thing.

Like the "Special Edition Guys" before me,I wanted this particular cue to sound as if it *belonged* in "Star Wars"-I didn't do any wild "stylistic" stuff-I remained(or at least I hope)true to the spirit of the enterprise.

5. Zarm_Rkeeg

Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2003
    So, can we hear it? :confused:

6. skyy38

skyy38 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2003
    Wish you could Zarm but I don't have a website like all the other cool music people I know-
    Besides,I'm working on some other important stuff(like getting new gear)...

7. macevspalpy113

macevspalpy113 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    Ahem, can someone please rehost the Ben's Hut and Duel on the Death Star?

8. Flametwister

Flametwister Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2004
    I certainly prefer a more minimalistic score like ANH's to the recent ones, which are so loud and overpowering that they threaten to blast me out of my seat. AHN was the best of the lot, IMO. It's subtler than the other ones, and the music doesn't bang you over the head trying to tell you exactly how to feel.

9. Darth_Maestro

Darth_Maestro Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2005
    I agree i love all the ANH imperial related music(imperial theme,imperial puruit,etc.), you know i sometimes feel they should rescore all the other movies to match ANH![face_beatup]

Seriously though sometimes i feel the Imperial March is a bit ove, its a good piece of music, but still....o_O

also as someone has mentioned before i like that ANH is a like a breath of air, both musically and story plot wise, before diving in to all the sh** going on in ESB and ROTJ

10. Draculas_guest

Draculas_guest Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 15, 2001
    I love the Imperial March, but to me, it belongs in ESB. In fact I think it gets overused in the rest of the saga, and I dont think its necessary to insert it into ANH, otherwise we'll be hearing *BAM BAM BAM, BUM BUM BAAAM, BUM BUM BAAAM* every five minutes.

If anything, I think the original Imperial theme from ANH is underrated. Its not as bombastic as the march from ESB, but thats what I like about it. There's some gems on the ANH soundtrack that seem to have been forgotten or overlooked.

The soundtrack to each film gives it its character, and chopping and changing them about compromises the feel of each film. I like the idea of each film having a 'unique' sound.

11. Darth_Maestro

Jan 27, 2005
    uhmm that "ove" is over rated didn't edit, sorry:oops:

12. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Why A New Hope is different from the rest?

I think the rest are different from A New Hope!:D

13. neo_mp5

neo_mp5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2004
    what would yyou guys think of this:

http://s36.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2XQFD7FDDQ9332PLA0WAM2X5E0

14. Darth_Maestro

Jan 27, 2005
    it better be good[face_frustrated] ........

*finishes listening*not bad.nice.:D ;)

15. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    just a little clip from "betrayal at bespin" inserted into "imperial attack" as an example of how the imperial march can be inserted into episode 4 without interrupting the existing music or the mood of the scene.

i also tried fleshing out another score change idea, but it diddn't work out too well. not only is it a little crudely edited towards the end, but i discovered the whole timing's off because the special edition added a couple seconds to the falcon's lift-off. but you get the idea:

http://s7.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=31AJXI79N9VFA3FETJ0TB9LDGD

(yousendit's acting up, it might not work.

16. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Why would you do that - because you just like the PT music better?

17. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    than the music in that scene, yes. and it adds to continuity.

18. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    No, action cues don't have a history of being reprised from film to film (only tracked). That's not consistent with Star Wars continuity.

19. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    . . . Tie figher attack, Cerrabore?

20. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    duel of the fates was redone for episode 3.

what difference does it make if it's reused, anyway, as long as it sounds good. and it certainly sounds better than the original.

21. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2004
    [face_thinking]

Um...no.:D

I suppose you would put this over Hyperspace too...

ttbk

22. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Yes, but it's the only one. Surely you're not supporting neo_mp5's prequelizations of the OT music?

23. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    amazing how "prequel" is a swear word to some people.

what can possibly be bad about continuity?

24. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Ah, continuity. So you would support tracking OT music into the PT, of course. Just to even things out.

25. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    not tracking. rerecording. a brand new duel of the fates score for episode 5's sabre duel, battle of heroes/clash of lightsabred for episode 4's duel, battle of heroes/duewl of the fates for episode 6's duel, imperial march for the beginning of episode 4, something new for the landing of the invisible hand in episode 3, an actual score for the battle of geonosis in episode 2, and so on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.