main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why A New Hope is different from the rest

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Carnotaur3, Aug 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neo_mp5

neo_mp5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2004
    if you actually listen to it, it flows quite well (if you ignore my choppy editing)

2. Darth_Maestro

Darth_Maestro Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2005
    altough your version is cool[face_blush]

i still like the original music that represents the star destroyers,simple but quite effective.;)

3. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    so you diddn't even listen to it

i left the star destroyer music in. i replaced only the boring stuff.

4. VictorVegas

VictorVegas Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 10, 2000
    Does anybody have links to the movies of ANH with embedded film music?

Especially the one with Vader vs. Obi-Wan with the duel music from Episode III.

Personally ANH is still one of my faves and I think the minimalist approach taken as far as the score is perfect. But if anyone has these films I'd greatly appreciate an updated link. :)

5. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    i don't know about episode 4, but i've rescored the sabre duel in 5 as best i can.

6. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    I have to say that the saber duel in Empire is the musical pinnacle for the saga for me. I'm sorry, but if they so much as touched the music there I would do something really nasty. Like, not buying the DVD. :p

7. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    there. is. almost. NO. music. in. that. fight. how can NOTHING be the musical pinnacle?

8. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    The Duel? (OST)
    or
    The Clash of Lightsabers? (SE)

9. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    it's in 4 parts, only one of which is scored. i scored the rest. the only thing i did to that part was replace several missing sound effects.

10. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    Actually it was scored, with a nice Force theme, Boba Fett motif, and Yoda's theme.:cool:

11. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    and how many of those occurred during the actual fight in the film?

12. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    None, but if you add that music...:cool:

13. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    i've heard some of it, it's not too good.

i used duel of the fates

done throwing up yet?

14. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Almost all of the lightsaber duel was scored, but the first part of the score was unused ("Departure of Boba Fett," SE cd2 t9).

15. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    it was only scored in one spot in the film.

16. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    Scored and Used are 2 different terms.

17. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    i am only aware of the beginning part being scored (and not used), and "the clash of lightsabres" later on.

18. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Regardless of used music or unused music, the utilisation of silence and score in the ESB duel remains unsurpassed. When Vader begins force throwing objects at Luke, the music hits a fantastic dark high, and the revelation that comes shortly after that has some of the most eerie music I've ever heard.

19. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    with awkward gaps in between. the scene's tension through the beginning is nearly nonexistent, and the energy of the final part of the fight just doesn't work without the score to back it up.

20. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    Loud music for that scene doesn't really work. It shows how Vader can just hold back whatever Luke throws at him with ease, needing no fanfare. This is Vader's scene. He does this so Luke can use agression to fight Vader, and he almost succeeds.

21. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    that's why the music is quiet and tense. it only gets to the full-blown choir thing in the last part, where vader attacks luke in a blind rage.

yet again, when i say i put duel of the fates to the bespin duel, everybody assumes i layered the concert version over the fight.

i only used maybe 5 seconds of the actual track called duel of the fates. the rest was from qui-gon's noble end, the appearance of darth maul, and return to tatooine

22. Darth_Maestro

Darth_Maestro Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2005

so you diddn't even listen to it

yes i did listen.

23. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    you complained about me taking out the original star destroyer music, which i diddn't, therefore you diddn't listen to it.

24. ufoclub1977

ufoclub1977 Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2005
    I think Star Wars (1977 remember this was what it was called in its original release, no subtitle chapter title) is still the best stand alone movie of the entire series, and it felt so much more adult and sophisticated in many ways. The lack of music during the Kenobi Vader duel makes it seem real. And back then, in the theatre, you were very scared for Ben's life. Vader seemed like a dangerous brutal guy who previously physically picked up someone and crushed their throat.

The only movie that might have had a similar gripping/scary part is in Empire Strikes back when Vader and Luke duel and there is a stage of the fight that lacks music.

I'm a huge fan of the Phantom Menace duel, but that one is just breathtakingly grande and spectacular, not scary.

The idea of adding music cues to the scenes mentioned in Star Wars (new hope) repulses me. It would ruin that edge the movie had over other scifi movies in its strange way of being ultra cool and relevant (at the time) to mass audiences in an honest and engaging way.

I also think that the soundtrack albums of the first 1977 film are so far superior to any of the later ones (although Empire Stirkes Back comes close). All the tracks have their own identity and memorable structure, listen to the music for the blast off from tatooine, or the final award ceremony. These are perfect moments of romantic/adventure music that are as catchy as hit singles.

William's album for Superman one year later is also brilliant.

25. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    there aren't even real notes to the escape from tatooine music. it's just space filler.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.