main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why A New Hope is different from the rest

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Carnotaur3, Aug 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Not real notes? Are they imaginary? Square root of a negative note?

2. Darth_Maestro

Darth_Maestro Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2005
  3. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    "Filler"-when it comes to music is an opinion only! Not a fact.
    Imperial Cruiser Pursuit to me is great.

Besides, I know The LSO are magnificant, but able to play notes that are not real...
    that is truly a talent to behold!

[face_peace]

4. neo_mp5

neo_mp5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2004
    yet if i cut out the star destroyer music, the force theme, and the imperial theme at the end, you'd be left with essentially this:

http://s35.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1NBNNN4IQFYWV2EOCCXEZLU37N

i know of no other piece of john williams score that is as boring as the music in that scene. it does not work for a high-speed starship chase.

5. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    It's not really a high-speed chase. The slow pulse of "Imperial Cruiser Pursuit" accentuates well the impending Imperial doom.

6. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    There is a hell of a lot more boring music John Williams has written, and yet, I love it. Although looking at the SW Saga's music, there is some boring music during Anakin and Padme in front of the fire. I should replace that music with Han Solo and the Princess.

7. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    truly sad.

8. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    What's wrong? OT music can't interfere with the PT?

9. JMN77

Sep 19, 2005

I think the music is more about building tension.
    Besides the scene in question is not really a high speed chase anyway.

If this music were used for The Chase Through Coruscant scene in AOTC,
    I would definately be more inclined to agree with you!

[face_peace]

10. Darth_Maestro

Jan 27, 2005
    so... whats wrong with it?
    not as if every single object, person in the background, animal and event needs some sort of grandoise music. Hell we might as well write a theme for when that animal farts on jar jar' face.;)

11. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    i think there already is...

links:

http://s14.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1GDZTX9HRQKF539RTUO667NF1U

http://s14.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2WTDEWCEN91070SLTWHN3Y1DCN

http://s14.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1ZYYX55WIZF1C2LG0HPOL55QD0

http://s14.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=05DI1ZPDU9OT320K2FP7POY6Q4

the editing getts choppy at the end of the last one, the songs diddn't have what i wanted.

isn't it funny how some people consider it a victory to lower someone else down to their level?

han an leia's theme is for han and leia. just the same as leia's theme is for leia and was used at the end of episode 3, and the emperor's theme is for sidious, used from episode 1 on.

12. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    I'm not going to act insulted, mainly because I can't take you seriously when you can't spell or use proper grammar, and how you're trying to look high and mighty against a 14 year old. But there is someone you're insulting right now.

[image=http://www.kbyutv.org/press/americawelcomes/images/john_williams.jpg]

13. Darth_Maestro

Jan 27, 2005
    =D=
    hold together will win this arguement!

14. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    you mean the guy who said this:

"I am thrilled to have the chance to go back to something I composed in 1977 and be able to make the entire saga continuous theme-wise. Notably absent in the first movie is the Imperial March. Being able to insert that theme in the first movie will create a much stronger emotional flow throughout the Saga. After the release of Episode III George will enhance the original trilogy with additional scenes and special effects, adding my adjustments to the score this will seamlessly branch the entire Star Wars Saga into one massive romantic space opera. I think something of this magnitude has never been done before"

GK edit: Knock off the name-calling.

15. Darth_Maestro

Jan 27, 2005
    im sorry,[face_laugh] but you sound like some sort of Sith wannabe.

Sorry mods if this is spam.[face_mischief]

...and the emperor's theme is for sidious, used from episode 1 on.

well it is the same guy and a key player in the story, so im mean its only natural his theme gets played when he'saround.

16. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    So when did this happen?

17. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    Escape from Naboo is not a theme, and Williams has not done anything new for the OT. And after his score for Episode II was ripped to shreds at the end, I don't know how Williams feels about updating the Original Trilogy.

18. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    http://www.jwfan.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=27&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

my point exactly.

not yet, no.

as i understand, his score wasn't ripped to shreds, it simply diddn't exist. lucas bit off more than he could chew in 3 years and the scenes weren't finished in time to be scored.

19. Zarm_Rkeeg

Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2003
    An old saying comes to mind... If it aint broke, don't fix it!

A fear of change is a sad thing indeed- but the flipside of it is a compulsion to change what isn't needed.

As for your ESB duel: While it was fairly well done, I think that the lack of music- at least in the initial carbon freezing chamber gives the duel a unique feel that works well. Also, for all the complaining about repetitive drum-beats in the Escape From Mos Eisley, that seems to be mostly what you mixed in to the duel at the beginning- just repetitive prequel drumbeats instead of sequel ones.
    I liked how you synched DOTF to the action in the last section- but like much of the recent work from GL (and the fan-films forum;) ), while it's technically well-done, I don't know how well the story works- the music just doesn't seem to fit the mood; despite being the famous Luke/Vader I-am-your-father moment, the music still seems to 'epic,' or a different kind of epic, for what we're seeing.
    Also, as much as I liked the Obi-wan/Vader remix from earlier in this thread, I just don't think that any of the OT fights move at a sufficient pace to match the PT duel music; they're different kinds of moments from different kinds of films, and products of different eras.
    So, all in all, I think the PT music in ESB is like the use of the Soundtrack section of Battle of the Heroes in ROTS- you can make it fit in there, but it still feels like it belongs somewhere else. ESB was scored (or non-scored) the way it was for a reason, and I personally think it works.

But that's just my 2 cents on an argument I've been observing here for a while. (If you want me to throw in the whole Nickel's worth, you might make more progress convincing your opponents if you didn't answer every argument with the accusation that they're afraid of change- after all, Lucas could put Augie's Great Municipal Band into the OT and PT soundtracks for every appearance of the Emeror if he wanted to... just 'cause it's change doesn't automatically make it good! ;) )

20. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    I'd like to stop the arguing. Yes, you're right about the Battle of Geonosis music, but I begin to wonder about music for the Finale of Clones, where I'm told there was a magnificent version of the love theme, and a sinister Imperial March before the Credits. But just to clarify here, new music would only work for me IF John Williams did it, not a bunch of editors.

21. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    This thread is getting a bit off-topic, not to mention a little bit uncivil.

So, let''s try to discuss and not attack others for their opinions.

If you want to discuss rescoring the OT films, please use this thread.

This thread began simply discussing the amount of ANH that was unscored are other things that set it apart as a Star Wars score.

22. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    Oh, I know how to stay on topic!

John Williams never composed a score for a movie called, Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.

Discuss.:p

23. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    GK edit: I warned you.

24. JMN77

Sep 19, 2005
  25. Zarm_Rkeeg

Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2003
    There's that civility in action...

Maybe it's considered good because... it actually IS?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.