main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Why all the EU Hatred?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by JediMJS, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I dare say no reboot will occur prior to 2014, when Del Rey contract will have expired. When that happens, all bets are off.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  2. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah... when the Del Rey contract ends Disney will want to start cranking out their own EU materials. Which could easily mean Del Rey's books fall to the wayside. Honestly, I'm fine with that... I have not been impressed with their management of post-RoTJ EU at all.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I think he is just trying to say that if you make a movie that is so radically different from the original films even if it is part of a trilogy the audience has a tendency to discount the movie. I think a better example is the Highlander films. I loved the first movie, but the second movie went totally counter to everything most people liked about the first movie...so the audience has a tendency to totally disregarded the sequel.

I am pretty sure if you ask a Highlander fan why Connor McCleod was immortal they wont tell you it is because he was an alien. I never watched the TV series, but I don't think they used the alien plot line, but I may be wrong.

4. swarm87

swarm87 Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2012
    yea pretty much, i forgot all about highlander 2, but that franchise is just an example of things consistently getting worse with each installment

5. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    The why the contractions between zahns story of the clone wars and lucas?

6. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    I
    In an alternate universe that might make sense

7. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    That's where the RETCON!!!! comes in. The specific elements that don't work don't count, but the work as a whole is still valid. In Star Wars: Legacy, the writer even contradicts HIMSELF.

8. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    Perfect example EU = highlander 2

9. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    Wow ...sound awesome cant wait to see these contradictions on the big screen..........elements that don't work.....and contradictions......block buster written all over it......still not canon

10. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I wouldn't go that far, but parts of the EU such as Children of the Jedi and Dark Empire, to me, are equivalent to Highlander 2. I really enjoyed all of Tim Zahn's books, though.

11. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    IT IS CANON
    By default, anything Lucas Licensing lets by withou the Infinities label is canon
    So a few details don't work. Great. Darth Maul's alive now. TPM is still canon. All that stuff about the Sith Lord being dead is just inaccurate.

12. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    and I liked "tales of the Jedi"

but it just keeps getting worse and worse.....through all star wars movies the force existed in everything even a freakn rock as Yoda put it. Along comes the EU and rap a lizard around your neck and Jedi and Sith are nothing....yawn.
    i

13. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    Darth Maul is alive in a kids cartoon....to me not related.Fits right in there with wookie xmas and marvel comics and splinter of the minds eye

14. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    So where does the "pigs in space" episode of the muppets fit in?

15. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Are you that arrogant.
    To you, TCW may not be canon, but the TRUTH is that TCW IS.

16. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    Rubbish...lucasfilm would slap the starwars label on a tampon and call it a sith saber if it made them money. There are hundreds of starwars storys that in no way relate to the movie's. Being marketed by Lucasfilm does not make it canon.

17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Playtex Sith Saber tampons...that is an intesting marketing concept.:p You can have Vestara as the spokeperson. They can show her riding a horse and playing tennis free of all worries.

krtmd, LawJedi and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The Force exists in ysalamiri too. Ysalamiri don't actually remove the Force in their bubble, they just dampen a Force-user's access to it IIRC.

19. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Toys and merch are very low-level. Tampons have no content, same for action figures, so they don't affect the story. Who knows, a brand of tampon in-universe may be called Sith Saber.
    If Lucas Licensing makes Mickey Mouse the next grand master, it's going to be canon whether you like it or not. These are the rules for this fictional franchise.

20. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    I like TCWs ...its ok.
    But its just "here's what might have happened" story. Best cartoon on TV but not Canon....to me any many others....does not mean we hate it...also I have said it is "just my opinion" the thread asked WHY ALL THE HATE...not the EU is canon thread. You just need to understand that to half the people here its not canon and just see 90% of it a crappy B grade sci fi.....I can handle that you think it is canon ...I am fine with it really...what ever helps you sleep at night....but to allot of people its slightly better fan fiction.

21. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    Yawn......still = lizard beats Jedi....which = pointless story

22. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    TCW is not alternate universe. The official stance of Lucasfilm is that it is canon. I hate a lot of EU, but I'm not so full of myself that I think that because I don't like something, I can consider it irrelevant.
    I also don't like the baby blue color much. It's still a color, no matter what I feel.

23. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    most EU novels have no content

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  24. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    Explain splinter of the minds eye to me .....help me out

whostheBossk likes this.
  25. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    That's your opinion :). I hate most EU novels, but I accept them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.