main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why all the hate for Phantom Menace?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by The Battle Ox, Apr 3, 2015.

1. The Battle Ox

The Battle Ox Jedi Youngling

Apr 3, 2015
    Sorry for not have reading the books much but... At the end of the film, what is the glowing purple orb thing that the gungan leader is given during the celebration?

2. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Really? [face_plain]

3. The Battle Ox

Apr 3, 2015
    Its a good standalone movie

4. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Globe_of_Peace

5. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    Don't worry. He thinks the Red Letter Moron is a genius and actually recommends that idiot's swill by way of "proving" that TPM is bad, which immediately discredits anything he says.

thejeditraitor and Saga Explorer like this.
  6. TrandoJedi

May 4, 2011
    I will admit I'm not the biggest fan of the prequels (as movies, there is alot of great ideas!) and found Red Letter Media's videos very humorous as entertainment but not the be all end all of prequel criticism.

AshiusX likes this.
  7. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    Red Letter Moron =D= Ha ha ha !Now I will call him that way :D

Enough.

mes520 and thejeditraitor like this.
  8. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    Be my guest. :cool:

Saga Explorer likes this.
  9. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    TPM good points

- Sidious scenes

- Senator Palps scenes

- interesting if unrealistic lightsaber battle

- Tatooine culture

Bad points

- overlong pod race

- Jar Jar's antics could be lessened to be more relatable (this is purely a comedic taste, slapstick isn't my humour, but appreciate it is for some)

- pacing is rather sluggish during the middle of the film

all this is my subjective humble opinion of course

10. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    i think TPM gets a lot of unwarranted hate and i think expectation played a huge role. The matrix trilogies suffered a similar fate. both fan expectation being too high and generally a worse film than the originals.

one of the problems too was that ANH was revolutionary back in the day. no-one had seen anything like that before which is why its held, quite rightly is high esteem. similar effects with Jurassic Park, The Matrix and LOTR. Is it any coinsidence that the narnia films all felt that bit scaled down to epicness and awesomeness of LOTR??

So TPM had too much to live up. GL was very unlikely to create something that had never been seen before again. I think his first proper attempt was with AOTC and the digital filming.

Saying that, the final act of TPM is in my view up their with classic moments. the score by Williams and the brilliant choregraphed maul fight was brilliant. when the doors open to reveal maul and THAT lightsabre was brilliant.

A lot of adult fans of SW forget at times i think the intended audience, but i think GL tried too hard to cater for both. For kids the PT are just as engaging as kids found the OT in the 70's and 80's. Good guys and blue and green lazerswords, baddies red. space battles, silly droids, lots of action, explosions, big aliens. it ticks all the boxes. But GL wanted to try and engage the older fan who ultiamtely knew where the story was going with Sheev.

this is, in my view why so much time was dedicated to senate activity. it was designed to mimic the rise of hitler and for someone at the time that was studying nazi germany, the political movements were a great watch. for the casual fan however, less so and i think GL overlooked this factor.

my final point in favour of TPM was that it looked like a star wars film. the use of real locations, less reliance of CGI and it actually being filmed on film really helps. AOTC and ROTS suffered in my view for looking more like, at times a computer game. TPM however felt more real and im encouraged by JJ Abrams and what his plans are. Funnily enough, i say the same for Jaws. Jaws 2, pretty mediocre film which made the epic mistake of showing the shark early. But when watching it, it looked like the first film. same location, same lead character, and that slightly older film vibe did at least have a connection. rest of the film is tripe, but visually it was the same.

Gamiel, JEDI-RISING and Iron_lord like this.
  11. TrandoJedi

May 4, 2011
    I still love the heck out of the podrace scene.

12. Huttslime

Huttslime Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 1, 2015
    Its bad mostly due to the horrid acting, forgettable dialogue, and the introduction of political elements that would more or less destroy the EU for the next decade. The worst part is George's attempts at introducing politics into SW, as well as the kid portraying Anakin being a horrible actor. While its not as bad as George's fumbling attempts at Romantic dialogue in AOTC, and the fights between Maul and the duo are nice, there is just too little to return to. Its not as bad as AOTC mainly due to the nostalgic factor for me, but years down the road when I collect the tens of movies in the new canon I don't ever plan on returning to it as much as the OT or even ROTS

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Me too. A movie following a podracer would be fun imo.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  14. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    Me too. A movie following a podracer would be fun imo.
    --------

:eek:

:p

15. The Battle Ox

Apr 3, 2015
    I keep seeing people say "sheev" a lot, what is a sheev or what does it mean? Am I being stupid? Sorry for my ignorance.

16. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    Palpatine's first name :p

TX-20 likes this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Sheev Palpatine. Sheev is his canon first name.

TX-20 likes this.
  18. The Battle Ox

Apr 3, 2015
    Haha thanks for the quick reply, and you Force Smuggler :) also I never knew that. I just knew him as emperor palpatine (and as Chancellor in 1 - 3)

19. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    you're welcome :D

I believe it's from in the new Tarkin novel,

though I suppose people use Sheev on the forums because it sounds funny rather than actually wanting to suddenly call him by his canon name:

prefer Frank Palpatine myself :p

Force Smuggler likes this.
  20. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    It's one of the most underrated movies of all time along with AOTC and ROTS.(and KOTCS)

thejeditraitor likes this.
  21. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Oddly enough, I don't 'hate' TPM.

22. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I do not hate it, just dislike some elements. For me, I am not fond of Jar Jar, young Anakin, politics midi-chlorians...

but

this was the one SW film I liked Natalie Portman in, Liam Neeson was terrific and so were Ewan McGregor and Ray Park. Beautiful costumes, great Jedi bits and some wonderful music too. I always include it in my Star Wars viewing, regardless of how I feel about certain things.

Han Burgundy likes this.
  23. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Why all the hate for Phantom Menace?
    I think a lot of us are still holding onto the grudge of disappointment. TPM marked a new era for SW fans, and I think every one of us was excited to see a whole new backstory to one of the best movie villians around. Put that together with the intense marketing and hype Episode I had, it was hard not to build it up to unrealistic expectation.

I will be the first to say, TPM is my least favourite. It borders on a bad movie, overall. It feels sluggish and slow, and when it is fast it's interrupted by Jar Jar slapstick humour and is peppered with subpar plot lines. I can appreciate it for what it is, and ultimately, what it adds to the overall storyline, but it just seems so political and slow. And for where it lacks in length, I feel the "speedier" parts of the movie are just a gigantic advertisement for the way CGI was going to go and THX altogether. The acting was kind of stale, and the dialogue, like all PT movies, was half-hearted.

lovelikewinter likes this.
  24. The Battle Ox

Apr 3, 2015
    How I see midochlorians is that everyone is born with a certain number of midochlorians in them however anyone can become very well educated and skilled with the force if they want to.
    Take it like school, some people will be born with incredible photographic memory yet anyone can still learn and be really good at a subject if they want to and practice.

Gamiel likes this.
  25. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    I could write the good parts of TPM, but there' s just too many of them.