main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why are Humans the dominant species? Why is Western civilization the dominant civilization?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Ghost, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Well, the second question isn't very easy to answer, but the first is. "Why are humans the dominant species?" should first of all be clarified to "Why are humans the dominant species on the planet Earth?" Once we have that out of the way, we can easily tackle this question, but the answer is entirely radical in nature. The answer, which is tied to my argument in the evolution thread, is that we have evolved in precisely the right manner. In other words, pure chance. There is no real reason for human beings to be the dominant species on this planet other than that singular fact. If another species had evolved in just the right way, but was physically more able, they'd probably be the dominant species, not us. But luckily that wasn't the case, as we are empirically at least the most intelligent and complex species on this planet, , mole-people notwithstanding. So there is your answer. It was entirely an act of pure chance (which is not the same as luck by any means).

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I don't think you're understanding what I was asking. Why did our evolutionary path favor us? I know our evolution happened by chance, combination of genetic and environmental adaptation. But what IS evolving in "just the right way" or "physically more able", what are the traits that make humans so dominant? What, by pure chance, did allow us to gain the edge in dominance, in intelligence, in evolution?

3. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Fair enough. My answer is still valid, but in that case is not relevant. But you did just open up a whole new can of worms. A very messy and impractical one, really. Because there are so many variables to consider, that even in hindsight it would require firsthand knowledge of the entire evolution and adaptation of the human species, and, in fact, all species on the planet that have ever existed. In that sense the question cannot be answered really without time travel. And since this is not definitely but seems to be a completely linear universe in terms of time, it would be extremely unwise to use time travel at all even if it were possible (which it probably isn't).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.