1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Melbourne (10th-12th April), Gold Coast (17th-19th April)

Oz Comic Con: Perth (11th-12 April), Adelaide (18th-19th April)

FF:NZ Why are kids these days cracking whips made out of old sheets?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by jp-30, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    It's not just Maori boys, 2DARK... err SFL.
  2. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    piff, what an insult.

I've only seen young maori fella's doing it, so I'm just going off personal observation.
  3. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    A guy at work told me he'd seen this phenomenon, but he didn't seem to think it was old bed sheets they were using, but something else.
  4. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
  5. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  6. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    well he couldn't describe them any more than to say he didn't think they were sheets. Maybe the sideswipe column on the back of the Herald would be willing to investigate it.
  7. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I think I know the answer, but, uhh, what part of Auckland has he seen the whippin' kids in?
  8. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    So the posh areas don't use old sheets and the poor socio-econoic areas do?

lmao
  9. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    I caught up with a friend who's a teacher at a West Auckland high school. She said they're rolled up lava lavas and the kids put rocks and other hard things in the ends. Apparently they've had several nasty injuries resulting from them, and they have to go around and confiscate them, as their main use is as a weapon in playground fights.
  10. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    While I have no doubt some are made of lavalavas, there are certain groups of children who perhaps don't have the same sort of access to that item of clothing as particular other groups of kids.

And I'm pretty sure the other group is using sheets.
  11. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    NO no no.

There are no rocks or anything in the one's we've seen. They are simply whips. A rock or anything with weight would be used more as a "hammer / ball and chain" type weapon... which I'm sure those kids might use in fights. But as I say, what they are whipping on the front lawn are just old tea-towels and the like knotted together and flung around their head on one direction and snapped back the other direction causing a bullwhip sound. Nothing more.

***damnit, I'm gonna stop and get photos if I can next time I see them. Put this to rest once and for all ;) :p :D
  12. SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Knight

star 3
    I can't believe this topic has now spread over two pages ...
  13. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    it hasn't. you need to change your settings you n00b.

50 replies per page ftw
  14. TheLurker Jedi Knight

star 1
    Central's caught the craze now too. Had a random kid in the empty parking lot outside work the other night cracking away with a bed sheet, and didn't think anything of it until I read this board. Made nice echoes though.

~Rhi
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.