main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why are liberals always so angry?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Vezner, Feb 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    I was wondering how long it would take before this thread became a flame haven.

2. Epicauthor

Epicauthor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    Liberals aren't angry, they're ignorant.

Speaking of reasons why we are angry....

3. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Really.

Geez, IkritMan, and you were actually whining about people calling you sexist or homophobic?

4. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Here is why I even ask this question. My life, for the most part, has been one of content. I go to work/school, attend church, have a family, and pretty much let the rest of the world take care of itself. I am a conservative by admition due to me beliefs. I just happen to agree with conservatives on most issues, except for the environment (I believe in saving the environment and I think more should be done to preserve it but I'm hardly a "tree hugger" either).

Anyway, lately issues such as gay marriage, gun control, indecency on public television, and the terror war have become hot topics that I have been approached about for discussion. From my personal experience, both in person and on the internet, liberals get very angry with me when I tell them what I think.

I don't support gay marriage, but I do support civil unions that provide the same benefits. I don't think the institution of marriage should be changed but I do think gay couples should be given the same rights (provided by the government) as married couples do. In nearly every case, ESPECIALLY on this forum, I have been ridiculed for my beliefs. I have been accused of being bigotted and hateful.

When gun control comes up and I explain that I am against gun control because it only takes the honest citizen's ability to purchase a firearm away. Criminals will still get guns through illegal means so IMO gun control just wont work. I think social issues should be addressed to correct the problems in society that cause people to want to kill other people. In any case, I have been told that I am an ignorant hick for wanting to allow guns to be bought by the general public. I have full empathy for Charleton Heston and the ridicule he gets for having the same beliefs as myself.

Janet whips her boob out on national television. I am totally against her actions (although I do forgive her since she was willing to apologize) or any other action that is similar to it. I believe that television is filth now days that is not fit for a healthy public to watch. Watching sexual content and violence on TV is part of the reason we have social problems that cause criminal activity. However most liberals that I talk to about this tell me that I am ignorant and am trying to censor other people's right for expression.

Now the Iraq War. I believe that President Bush made the best decision possible, with what information he was given, in going to war with Iraq. I fully support him. Now I don't blindly support everything he does. He has said a few things that I completely disagree with, but I don't think he's a bad man simply because he doesn't say EVERYTHING that I want him to say. That would be stupid. But I do agree that going to Iraq was a good thing. We liberated an entire nation of people from the iron grip of a visious dictator. In my opinion, that is justification in and of itself. I also agree that Saddam, even if he didn't have WMD at the time of our invasion, desired to have them and would have developed them again in a heart beat if given the chance. I believe that the Iraqi people ar much better off now that we have liberated them, and polls show that they agree. Anyway, needless to say it but the liberal response to my beliefs in this have also been very negative. I wont even go into detail on what I have been called.

On the other hand I have rarely seen conservatives behave in the same manner to liberals. Of course I can't speak for all conservatives, or liberals for that matter. But I just know what I see and am relaying my perceptions. Conservatives seem to be on the defensive about the issues more than anything else. This tells me that the liberals are angry and on the attack. I just can't figure out what makes them so intolerant of conservative beliefs in that there is no room for compromise.

So I ask again, why are liberals so angry?

5. the-JEDI-are-NO-more

the-JEDI-are-NO-more Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 10, 2002
    And, for the most part, they are well mannered, with the exceptions of Michael Moore and Al Franken.

I second that opinion

6. GarthSchmader

GarthSchmader Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    Sounds to me like you have a a lot of anger, Vez, you just aren't voicing it.

7. SRB_Jedi_Knight

SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    This tells me that the liberals are angry and on the attack. I just can't figure out what makes them so intolerant of conservative beliefs in that there is no room for compromise.

Whether you intended to or not you brought up a great fact. The only room for compromise in a liberals mind is that conservatives will be the ones having to compromise on our beliefs.

8. Jediflyer

Jediflyer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 5, 2001
    Can we close this thread now?

9. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    Though not always the case when considering political labels such as "Democrat", "Republican", "Green", or what have you, Liberal and conservative are by their nature and definition on opposing sides:
    • To be conservative (in the American context) is to favor traditional ways; to tend to oppose change.

• To be liberal (again, in the American context) is to favor reform and progress; to endorse and promote change.

(Ironically--as you brought up bigotry and being called a bigot, Vezner--"liberal" is defined in American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language as "free from bigotry".
    source)

Otherwise, Vezner, you've shown yourself to be just as insensed as others on the other side of the table.

Liberals grow frustrated with conservatives for not wanting change.
    Conservatives grow frustrated with liberals for wanting to change what they see as a workable situation.

From that, anger can (and does often) arise along both lines. Liberals don't hold the monopoly on emotion, nor on condescension.

The only room for compromise in a liberals mind is that conservatives will be the ones having to compromise on our beliefs.

There is no room for compromise, given the definitions provided above.

Either we change or we don't. These two factions will never agree. That is why we need both of them. ;)

EDIT: Jediflyer, I'd personally like to keep this open for discussion (not for flaming). Maybe we can all learn something about the anger between the factions.

EDIT 2: still playing with markup codes...

10. GarthSchmader

Jan 3, 2003
    What culture war?

//OOps!

Wrong thread...

11. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    I suppose that it would be nice to have a "Star Trek" society in which there are good traditional values intermixed with liberal ideals. But I do see your point in that both sides need each other. I am willing to concede that if the world were made up of just conservatives, it would be a rather dull place. If the world were made up of just liberals, it would be a rather chaotic place. I guess the best way to live would be somewhere right in the middle. ;)

12. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    GarthSchmader, I honestly don't have any anger towards anyone (other than people like Saddam Hussein). However I do get frustrated with the vicious debate every now and then. ;)

13. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    True enough, Vezner. True enough.

14. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Because we're sick and tired of being demonized. In the past decade or so, the very word "liberal" has become an insult, and that pisses me right off. WHY is it so freaking BAD to be a liberal? I wish just one political candidate would come right out and say, "Yeah, I'm a liberal. So what?"

I'm tired of hearing about godless commie liberals who want to force their agendas down the throats of good, god-fearing conservatives.

Remember on September 11, when Falwell and Robertson were blaming leftists, wiccans, gays for what happened?

I try to take care not to go around screaming about "evil conservatives who do such and such" and I resent the hell out of the whole "Liberals blah blah blah" crap from the likes of TripleB and his ilk.

Oh, and if I hear one more word about the so-called liberal media, I'm going to freaking scream.

-Angry Leftist Commie Feminazi Brat

15. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    SRB: The only room for compromise in a liberals mind is that conservatives will be the ones having to compromise on our beliefs.

No one asks you to compromise your beliefs, unless one of your beliefs is that the rest of us are supposed to either believe like you do or act like we do.

And Guinastasia, as usual, is right. I lose respect for politicians who will not friggin' admit that they have some liberal beliefs, just like I stopped respecting Eisenhower when I found out he refused to support the civil rights movement because he might lose some votes from racist whites, or when he allied himself with Francisco Franco, the Spanish version of Saddam Hussein, because Franco shared Eisenhower's belief that communists were evil monsters that went "bump" in the night.

--Another Angry Leftist Commie Feminazi Brat

16. Special_Fred

Special_Fred Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Liberals have a bad reputation because the stereotypical liberal supports retarded ideas like gun control, the same way conservatives are scorned and ridiculed because a lot of them are against abortions or equal rights for homosexuals. This is why I don't consider myself liberal or conservative...I don't want to be labeled like that. "I am of a sect by myself, as far as I know", sayeth Thomas Jefferson. :D

17. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    Guinastasia said

Because we're sick and tired of being demonized. In the past decade or so, the very word "liberal" has become an insult, and that pisses me right off. WHY is it so freaking BAD to be a liberal? I wish just one political candidate would come right out and say, "Yeah, I'm a liberal. So what?"

Howard Dean was pretty open about being a liberal. John Kerry's record as a US Senator is actually further to the left then Howard Dean's record as a Governor ever was, but it is Kerry whom claims he is a a Moderate. That should tell you something. Even in San Fransisco, with their leftist mayor Gavin Newsome, you have liberals-whom Claim to be moderats, claiming that Newsome is a Centrist. Again, what does that tell you? When you got liberals running from the title, what does that tell you?

To answer your question, I believe that liberalism is a philosophy which I believe is completely lock step out of touch with the rest of this Country. I believe Liberalism is a danger to the freedom and future of the UNited States of America. I think Liberalism must be exposed to the light of truth whenever and wherever, and must be confronted less it grow like a cancer, like it has in Europe.

Sure, being a liberal makes you mainstream in France and the Netherlands and of course in San Fransisco and the New England States. I think attacking 'liberalism' is just as valid as attacking 'Convervitism'. That is all just part of the public debate. THe problem is, that in the past, Liberals used to get a pass on a lot of things, and now they are finding the country not accepting of them anymore.

I'm tired of hearing about godless commie liberals who want to force their agendas down the throats of good, god-fearing conservatives.

Well, I for one am going to keep throwing it out. Imagine if COnservitives said "Screw Roe v Wade, screw Separation of Church and state, we are going to do what we want and specifically shove it down the Liberals throat?". I can look at the above statemetn and point to case after case where it is the liberals whom are indeed doing that. THe few times you hear about Conservitives taking such drastic actions (ie, Alabama Supreme Court Justice Roy Moore), y ou had conservitives saying we like and respect what he is doing, but he has to obey the law so......

Notice how no liberal is making the same request of Gavin Newsome?

Remember on September 11, when Falwell and Robertson were blaming leftists, wiccans, gays for what happened?

And Femisists, and the ACLUE and People for the American Way. I happen to believe Jerry Falwell was 100% right on target with what he said, which is why left wing liberals were so outraged by what he said. According to the National Organization of Women, what Falwell said was worse then what happened on 9/11.

I try to take care not to go around screaming about "evil conservatives who do such and such" and I resent the hell out of the whole "Liberals blah blah blah" crap from the likes of TripleB and his ilk.

Believe it or not, Guin, one of the reasons I respect you more then any other liberal on these boards is I don't believe you have ever tried to claim you are a moderate in your beliefs, much like how I don't try to claim I am a moderate either. I have never seen you try to claim you are anything other then a liberal.

I look at the many, many people on these boards who will say "Liberal ideaology this, and that....but we are not really liberal we are really Moderate/Centrists" which is always a way to get my goat, so to speak.

Oh, and if I hear one more word about the so-called liberal media, I'm going to freaking scream.

Anne Coulter says the media is liberal so...... ;)

-Angry Leftist Commie Feminazi Brat

Determined Right Wing American Patriot Christian, would be my motto then.

Edit

Anakin_Girl said

No one asks you to compromise your beliefs, unless one of your beliefs is that the rest of us are supposed to either believe like you do or act like w

18. GarthSchmader

Jan 3, 2003
    Howard Dean HAS no record as a Senator! 8-}

19. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    I believe Liberalism is a danger to the freedom and future of the UNited States of America. I think Liberalism must be exposed to the light of truth whenever and wherever, and must be confronted less it grow like a cancer, like it has in Europe.

And here we have it again, folks--Exhibit A of why we are so angry.

I am sick and tired of being told that I am a liar, a disease, and unAmerican. You would be too--if we actually tried to tell you that. [face_plain]

We simply tell you to go live your life as you want to live it, be as conservative as you want to be, and leave the rest of us alone. Stop trying to force your beliefs on us. But you don't, so we're angry.

Imagine if COnservitives said "Screw Roe v Wade, screw Separation of Church and state, we are going to do what we want and specifically shove it down the Liberals throat?".

They do that all the time. You try to throw out Roe v. Wade, you picket outside abortion clinics and scream at pregnant, frightened 14-year-old girls about how they're baby-killers, you picket outside Matthew Shepard's funeral and tell his parents that he's going to burn in hell because he was gay.

THe few times you hear about Conservitives taking such drastic actions (ie, Alabama Supreme Court Justice Roy Moore), y ou had conservitives saying we like and respect what he is doing, but he has to obey the law so......

Were you around for that thread? Because that sure as hell wasn't what I saw. I saw "This is a Christian nation. The Ten Commandments should be up within the courthouse. It's his courthouse, he's within his rights."

I happen to believe Jerry Falwell was 100% right on target with what he said, which is why left wing liberals were so outraged by what he said.

That's interesting. I didn't know that gay wiccan feminists hijacked those planes. I was under the impression that it was terrorists under Osama Bin Laden. [face_plain]

Please. Read your newspaper. What Falwell said isn't worse than what happened, but it sure as hell wasn't even close to accurate.

You want my opinion on why Jerry Falwell hates feminists, PM me. It isn't postable. ;)

I tried to meet you halfway on the Same Sex Union things, which I think was very big on my part, and not something that was probably to be expected from a Right Wing Conservitive. You, unfortunately, made it clear nothing short of the left wing agenda's on that topic would be acceptable, and thus, I had to take a harder line on that topic.

You had to do nothing of the sort, unless Rush Limbaugh was holding a gun to your head.

And I met you halfway. I said churches don't have to marry gay couples if they don't want to. But gay couples should be able to get married under the state, which is supposed to be secular.

What would your lack of compromise be? Have them all shot?

You are going back 50 years for the basis of not liking Eisenhower and are holding him to a higher standard, then, for example, FDR did for trying to work with the Japanese for a good part of the mid 1930's? Does the many japanese attorcity's comitted by them not dwarf many of those done by the Nazi's or Franco's regime? Does this mean you now have nothing but contempt for FDR?

I don't recall FDR "working" with the Japanese. We told them either get the hell out of China or we're cutting off your oil supply. They didn't get out of China, so we cut off their oil supply. They got pissed and bombed Pearl Harbor.

This is quite a bit different from Eisenhower kissing the ass of a fascist dictator simply because Franco also didn't like the evil satanic commies.

20. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    Liberals have a bad reputation because the stereotypical liberal supports retarded ideas...

First: you're talking about stereotypes, not actual people. Move past those, and you'll see a much more diverse world.

Second: Retarded? Hello, how rude can one be? It may do your viewpoint justice to post something constructive instead of flames. As it stands, you've done wonderful job of undermining whole "liberal hatred" card you're playing.

EDIT: And here we have it again, folks--Exhibit A of why we are so angry.

Comments like TripleB's and Special_Fred's are exactly what I was talking about before. It's a shame no one listened.

21. Kessel Runner

Kessel Runner Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 10, 1999
    "Screw Roe v Wade, screw Separation of Church and state, we are going to do what we want and specifically shove it down the Liberals throat?".

Well, see the conservatives do ignore these rules and act out against them regularly. They are the home-bred terrorists who kill doctors and their families.

I happen to believe Jerry Falwell was 100% right on target with what he said, which is why left wing liberals were so outraged by what he said.

Actually we were outraged because the policies of Republican White Houses created the likes of Saddam Hussein, and virtually every other totalitarian dictatorship in the world. To understand the present, you must understand the past. We gave Hussein his WMD's, We put him in power. We funded Osama and his ilk in the mujahadeen. The reality of what caused 9/11 is the policies of this nation's administrations who think "me first" almost all the time. Without giving any consideration to the countries we meddle in.

22. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Why are liberals always so angry?

Still waiting on Part II here:

Why Do Conservatives Always Make Generalisations?

So, George W Bush, who thought the leader of Pakistan's name was General (As in, his Amex card says, "Mr. General, Expires 06/05), was liberal? ?[face_plain]

I believe Liberalism is a danger to the freedom and future of the UNited States of America. I think Liberalism must be exposed to the light of truth whenever and wherever, and must be confronted less it grow like a cancer, like it has in Europe.

So, in your utopia, only the Right exists, and the left are a smouldering pile of rubble; artefacts of the past.

QUIZ: Can anyone here give me a historical regime that also spoke with such paranoia of the left? [face_plain]

E_S

23. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    Fascism, Ender_Sai? ;)

*coughMussoliniandFrancocough*

24. Kessel Runner

Kessel Runner Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 10, 1999
    The Right cannot exist without the Left.

If you take a stick, and cut off the left part, is there not still a left side to the stick? The same holds true for Evil, For Political Belief Structures. Everything is a Yin/Yang.

25. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    I was thinking Nazi Germany and Hitler's call to return Germany to its days of properity, taken away by liberal movements that ran the nation into severe debt and poverty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.