main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why are most Star Wars books focused on Movie Characters?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Veng_Commando, Mar 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veng_Commando

Veng_Commando Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    I'd like to see a book[published, etc, etc, not fan fiction, Its not enough!] where the main character has little or no contact with the Star Wars Characters. The Kyle Katan trilogy was good, but based on the videogame, which took some fun out of it. Anyone agree with me?

And if anyone says anything about a book TOTALLY about Kyp I'll be so mad... oh, hey, I fergot about I jedi, which was good.

2. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    *obliviously comments* I nominate a book entirely focused on Kyp Durron. :p

Seriously, though, I have yet to read a novel focused on movie characters exclusively. Granted, "Children of the Jedi" was mostly about Han, Leia, and Luke, but I still don't feel that it was exclusively them.

The NJO revolves around the newer, younger characters, which means that it doesn't focus on the old trilogy's heroes.

Indeed. Now that I've thought about it, "Children of the Jedi" was the only novel I've read that dealt mostly with the movie characters. Well, except for "Shadows of the Empire"--but I hardly consider that an actual novel. It's more like a...bad dream that I wish never happened. ;)

3. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Most books are focused on Movie characters because that is what most fans want from Star Wars. Most new fans go into a Star Wars book expecting Luke, Leia and the gang. If they don't get that the book dosen't sell as much. Hence the authors and publishers give them what they want. Though to answer another part of your question, except for Solo Command wasn't the only thing tying the X-wing books to the movie's Wedge and the fact they were named Star Wars?

4. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 4, 2002
    the lack of main characters is one of the reasons that I liked the Tales books

5. Nitro29

Nitro29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2001
    Try the Galaxie of Fear series. Although, in one of them, doesn't Han, Leia, and Luke make a cameo?

6. muuurgh8150

muuurgh8150 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2002
    You should read the X-wing books. The Bounty Hunter Trilogy. Tales of the Bounty Hunters. Tales from Jabba's Palace, Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina. I'm sure there's more, bu not that I can think of right now

7. Veng_Commando

Veng_Commando Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    I've read those... thanx

8. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    The X-wing books were great and I also like the Kyle books but I too would love to see a series of books about a non movie character or characters. Someone like Kyp would be great. Still they would still throw the Solo kids in there and Han and Luke wouldn't be to far behind.

I really hope on the authors would just create a new set of characters and continue with them. They really don't have to appear out of nowhere, they could supporting characters in one of the NJO books and just expand on the later without adding the Movie characters or characters we already know.

Until that happens I guess were stuck with fan fics or video games. Speaking of which does anyone know when the new Jedi Knight games is suppose to be released?

9. GrandAdmPellaeon

GrandAdmPellaeon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 18, 2002
    Reason is that LFL is afraid to stray from what works. Their strategy is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". And they're going to keep riding the rollercoaster until all you Luke/Leia/Han/Lando/Wedge fans get OFF it!!

I am SO sick of the same 5 to 10 people saving the galaxy! LFL, you need to get some NEW ideas/characters!!!!!!!

btw: Kyp Durron book? If I was Luke I'd backhand slap him like the b!^@# he's being and tell him to do something useful.

Wait, no I take that back. If I was Luke I'd be out there beating Vong down. Kyp and I would get along great! Bring on the Durron trilogy!!!!

10. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    geez, come on! like someone said, the x-wing books! + I, Jedi, Tales of Books. Thats well over a dozen books right there! Considering Bantam only published, what, 45 novels or so, thats at least a quater which focus nearly exclusively on EU characters. Thats pretty good.

I do agree that there should be, in the future, a focus on NON-MOVIE characters, but in and around the OT time frame. Like the OT, and 5 years either side of it. For me, thats the most exciting era.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.